Kazoo Komputers & Original Art

Board member driven topics. Participation is completely voluntary.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Clifford Edward VanMeter
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!
Kazoo Komputers & Original Art

Post by Clifford Edward VanMeter »

Kazoo Komputers is a non-profit that my wife and I run in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Its purpose is to get computers into the hands of low income children who would otherwise not be able to afford them. We take old, outdated computers that the owners haven't a good use for anymore and refurbish them by installing Mepis Linux, Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird and some freeware games and utlities. The result is a completely open source computer that we can give new purpose to. Not only are we keeping computers out of landfills, we are giving kids the basic means to compete with their peers in a high-tech world.

Mepis is an extremely small footprint Linux distro that will run easily on any Pentium computer with as little as 64MB of RAM. Families sign-up through a local food bank to attend a 3-hour class and get an overview of how to use the computer and what software is on it. They take their new computer with them when the leave.

For anyone willing to donate computer equipment for Kazoo Komputers, I'd be willing to deduct the shipping costs from the cost of a private commission of any Valiant characters in the style of the Magnus and X-O pieces I've recently posted here, and give you a reciept for the full value of the equipment as a tax deduction to a non-profit organization.