Norm Breyfogle's Stroke & HC Costs

Board member driven topics. Participation is completely voluntary.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron
Norm Breyfogle's Stroke & HC Costs

Post by Tony_H »

Hey, all:

Tonight, I read on Bleeding Cool that former Bloodshot artist Norm Breyfogle had a severe stroke about a week before Christmas, and that he and his family have subsequently been hit with some very heavy healthcare bills. His sister-in-law has set up a charitable online fund whereby people can help pay those bills.

Here are the relevant sites:

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundra ... und/281723

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/27/ ... are-costs/

Just wanted to pass the word.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Norm Breyfogle's Stroke & HC Costs

Post by IMJ »

I just got this very attractive hardcover in my most recent DCBS order. When I first read about the solicitations for it, I was really excited and, to be honest, a little shocked that it took so long to start collecting Breyfogle's work on Batman. IMHO the guy is a seminal Batman artist, and I never understood why I'd rarely hear his name while other people would talk about Jim Aparo's run, which (again, IMO) is quite simplistic compared to Breyfogle's compelling, early McFarlane-esque linework, great expression rendering and page framing.

It's a shame that this hardcover was created for the reasons it was, but it's nice to know that buying a copy serves a good cause too. I've been a fan of Breyfogle's Batman since I my first issue of Detective Comics, #603, off the newsstand in 1989. Even more fitting considering the cover of this compilation now that I realize it!

This is a great hardcover covering much of Breyfogle's early Batman and 'Tec work. I picked up my copy, brand new, online, for about 24 bucks I think. I highly recommend it as the artwork is truly magnificent, and the stories (including "The Mud Pack" arc) harken back to a time when comics were fun, and superhero's still took on super villains in what are now Bronze-era classics. This also includes the 1st appearance of the well-known Batman villain, The Ventriloquist & Scarface, co-created by Breyfogle as well.

Here's the solicit for the book:
Often credited with revitalizing the Dark Knight in the 1980’s, Norm Breyfogle’s Batman was known for his signature dynamic style. Collected here for the first time are some of the Bat’s most seminal moments—from the first appearances of Ratcatcher, the Ventriloquist and Cornelius Stirk to an epic battle against all four Clayfaces, all drawn with Breyfogle’s always dramatic style.