Meet our new spokeswoman:Ms.Inkwell

Board member driven topics. Participation is completely voluntary.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

tschloendorn
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Meet our new spokeswoman:Ms.Inkwell

Post by tschloendorn »

For some time The Inkwell Awards have been asking the question; "Who is Ms. Inkwell?" Finally, now they are revealing the answer. Debuting at the Pittsburgh Comicon (http://www.pittsburghcomicon.com) on April 23-24 will be their new spokeswoman, the aforementioned Ms. Inkwell! Ms Inkwell was initially conceptualized by Bob Almond at last year's Pittsburgh Comicon. “While IA contributor Tom Schloendorn and I were selling raffle tickets,” says Bob Almond, “I joked about how if we had a female mascot wearing an inkwell bottle outfit and stopper on her head we could sell more tickets. And that idea percolated but I still needed a design for my idea. All I knew was that I didn't want anything campy like what I originally joked about. We certainly didn’t want any silly super-heroine costumes or her riding a giant brush or pen quill, or even a scantily-dressed 'booth babe' as we were concerned how we would be perceived and we wanted to be taken seriously.”

After searching for the right artist, former IA committee member Tim Townsend recommended Randy Green (Witchblade, Cable) who subsequently agreed to take on the challenge. Randy promptly embraced the idea and designed the character from Bob's basic concept, image references and notes. “From those prelims and discussions between us and committee member and ink artist Nathan Massengill,” says Bob, “we came up with the final image.” Randy's pencil art was subsequently inked and colored by Nathan, and he and his assistant Gina Kirlew designed her sexy logo. Ms Inkwell’s secret identity is India Wells, a savvy business woman who runs India Wells, Inc. and is also a celebutante with a taste for contemporary as well as old-Hollywood high fashion. “She will be on the new brochures and be the 'narrator' in our upcoming 2010 Inkwell Awards Donation book (an annual collection of donated art from the comic book art community), debuting at The Boston Comic Con (http://www.bostoncomiccon.com) April 10-11,” continues Bob, “and she will appear on future promotional material as well as exclusive prints, t-shirts and other merchandise. While at the Pittsburgh show I spoke with artist Louis Small, Jr. who is well known for utilizing models with his work. Louis accepted the Inkwell Awards contributor position of model liaison and immediately connected me with Chrissy Cutler.”

Chrissy Cutler, aka Ms Inkwell, will make live appearances at upcoming shows like the Wizardworld Big Apple and New England Cons besides Pittsburgh Con, and tentatively Heroes Con.

About Inkwell Awards:
The Inkwell Awards is a non-profit charity organization entering it’s third year whose mission is to inform fans about the craft of inking and recognize ink artists for their quality work and contribution to the comic book industry and sequential art process. They host the Joe Sinnott Hall of Fame Award and the Dave Simons Inkwell Memorial Scholarship for the legendary Joe Kubert School of Cartoon & Graphic Art. Daniel Best, Jim Tournas, Bob Shaw and Nathan Massengill comprise the awards committee. Editor Mike Marts and artists Adam Hughes and Ethan Van Sciver act as Ambassadors for the Inkwell Awards.