Shriner's Toy Drive 2006

Board member driven topics. Participation is completely voluntary.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH
Shriner's Toy Drive 2006

Post by Byrneout »

I think most of you know my story, but I'll recap it to remind you why I do this. Each year, thousands of children suffer burn related accidents from the many hazards of childhood. In July of 1979, I joined those children. I was admitted to Shriner's Burns Institute in Cincinnati to receive the specialized medical attention I needed to survive another day, the victim of family abuse.

Like many of the other children in the faceless statistics, I awoke disoriented, confused, and alone, in a sterile environment designed to keep me alive. I was scared, frightened, and felt completely isolated from the world I knew, common actions that I had taken for granted now causing crippling agony. Despite all of that, I was lucky. Lucky to be alive, and lucky to be in a caring environment. After four months of rehabilitation, I was able to leave the hospital, mostly under my own power. There were several follow-up visits and surgeries, but for the most part, the worst was over.

However, there are many children who arrive at Shriner's without the luck I have. Many have lost their families, or are summarily abandoned due to their injuries. Compounding that tragedy like nothing else are the hospital stays that last through the holiday season, beginning with Halloween, passing through birthdays and Thanksgiving, before ending up on Christmas, the most anticipated holiday to many children.

The Shriner's Burns Institute relies on private sources to maintain the free hospital services that they provide. They consistently give the best care in the burn field, making breakthrough discoveries almost daily. They do their best to provide for every child who is rushed in through their doors, but the holidays are tough, especially for the tiny patients. That's where you and I come in to the picture. We are collecting new toys, games, and books to donate to the Shriner's Burns Institute in Cincinnati. Words can not even begin to describe the feeling received when you know that your actions are able to bring a smile to the face and joy to the heart of these young victims.

From now through December 18th (to allow adequate time for shipping), we are asking that if you have the opportunity, buy an extra copy of a comic book and donate it to the drive. In fact, if you have a pending order from KC or Zach, both have supported this drive in the past, and I'd be happy to arrange shipping options with them.

Each comic, card, game or the like that we donate this way will provide a child with the things that we love so much, hopefully igniting in them the same passion for this medium that we possess. We're already doing a great thing with the PS3 - but it is items like this which get to be taken home by the children, and solidify a fond memory during a time when such memories are going to be far too rare.

If you wish to donate specific items other than one of the comics you would normally purchase, I have a a list of items that Shriner's would like to have donated – all you need to do is ask to see it. Thank you very much, and I hope you have a happy and rewarding holiday season.

As I said, I was lucky. I'm even more blessed by seeing the generosity of the members of this great board - and there is nothing that makes me prouder than when we spread our good fortune on to others in this way.

Sincerely,
Ric Connely & Shriner’s Burns Institute
Last edited by Byrneout on Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:50:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squirrel
Dino, how about... Archer & Armsquirrel?
Dino, how about... Archer & Armsquirrel?
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by Squirrel »

pm me the list of what the Shriners need pls!!! :thumb:

chainnball
banned on my iphone
banned on my iphone
Location: What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about??

Post by chainnball »

I'd like the list as well please.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

I'll need that list also. :thumb:

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

A link to the list should have been sent out to all those who PM'ed me.

Let me know if I've missed anyone.

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

Here's the deal. I need one book to get to 100%. Shadowman Volume 3 #1 $3.95 price variant. I'll pay $20 for a NM copy and donate an additional $10 to Byrneout's Shriners campaign for every copy I can get up to 5 copies. I only need one, but I'll take up to 5 and donate cash to the Shriners. It's a win-win-win deal.

Offer good through Friday, December 15, 2006.