your local Food Shelf

Board member driven topics. Participation is completely voluntary.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

inmyblood
your local Food Shelf

Post by inmyblood »

I encourage you Valiant fans to give your time volunteering at a local food shelf in your area.

I've been doing this for about 2 months now and it rocks :thumb: ! Not only do I get to meet other volunteers in my community but I am also bittching quite less about society (which consisted of not doing a damn thing about it except "bittching").

It's been really rewarding doing this.

I do have a full time job in manufacturing so I am only able to volunteer 3-4 times a month. But that is more than enough for me and my wife and 3 kids (well, the 3rd one is on the way).

Most of the volunteers there are retired folks so to see a young guy like me (28) I think just livens the atmosphere a bit. Not to boast but us young people give off that kind of charm :wink: .

Anyways just thought I'd share....

GJB
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by GJB »

Good suggestion inmyblood and I commend you for your service. I had the opportunity to work at a food bank in Texas and I loved it. You get to help others, which I need to do more of, and you are reminded just how blessed you really are.

inmyblood

Post by inmyblood »

Right...

Sometimes I think I have it so bad being a workin' stiff and all. You know, almost scraping by at times just to stay afloat. It's not always like this but it happens on occasions. But somehow the Lord always sees us through!!!!

When volunteering at my food shelf then I see the ones who are really in need. It is an honor to help them with their food needs.

I see all walks of life coming to our place. The elderly, pregnant, young, drug addicted etc.

There is an increase in meth use in our area and sometimes folks come in completely glazed on that $hit. It's tough to see especially when they come in with children. :!: