Milwaukee local show

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Milwaukee local show

Post by Brother J »

To be honest, I only dug through a few cheap boxes, so I only found a few bargains. One dealer I ran across did have some pre-Unity and Golds. Totally off the wall pricing. He had a few copies each of X-O#1, Shadowman #1, and Solar #1, plus Harbinger #2 and Magnus #12. He wanted $10 each for any of them. He had mainly the more common gold books, like Turok #1 and HARD Corps #1 and wanted $15 each for them. Needless to say, he didn't sell any of them.

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine
Re: Milwaukee local show

Post by Vault-Keeper »

Brother J wrote:To be honest, I only dug through a few cheap boxes, so I only found a few bargains. One dealer I ran across did have some pre-Unity and Golds. Totally off the wall pricing. He had a few copies each of X-O#1, Shadowman #1, and Solar #1, plus Harbinger #2 and Magnus #12. He wanted $10 each for any of them. He had mainly the more common gold books, like Turok #1 and HARD Corps #1 and wanted $15 each for them. Needless to say, he didn't sell any of them.
Just for the record, I think Magnus #12 for $10 is a great deal. The rest, especially X-O #1 & Harb #2 are pretty close to the money. I know I certainly wouldn't sell mine for any less, (& I doubt you would either, Bro J). The days of quarter bin Bonanza's are about over....---Steve
Last edited by Vault-Keeper on Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:35:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tcolli
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man

Post by tcolli »

I would pay $10 for a Magnus 12 in NM condition. :thumb:
I do chicken right!

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Re: Milwaukee local show

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Vault-Keeper wrote: The days of quarter bin Bonanza's are about over....---Steve
That seems to be the case for the shops in my area anyway.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

I was out of town for the weekend on a rafting trip, but i managed to hit up an old comic shop that i hadn't visited in 10 yrs in my hometown. I asked the manager if they had some valiants and she said she sold a huge lot to a guy who only wanted valiants and took all 400 off her hands - for $350 in cash. She was more than happy to get rid of them, however I'm interested to know if this guy found some premiums in there.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

actually, let me correct myself here. I actually didn't ask him how much he wanted for the Magnus #12, I was so disgusted with his other prices I didn't ask. I assumed he'd say something like $20-30. Considering I probably already have at least five copies of Magnus #12, I wasn't interested even at $10, really. As for the other books, I guess I'm spoiled, but I sure as hell wouldn't pay $10 for any of the Valiant #1 issues except for Harbinger or for a Harbinger #2.

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

We hit interesting times as the original posters who are inherently cheap have already picked alot of the pre-unity/premium issues clean from LCS and thus rising interest in the back issue market. Now that supplies are a bit limited, sellers want more for their books. However, the original crews that boost these books up to their current level are no longer interested in buying them for the new said prices. So we need the mainstream comic collecting community to start picking them up or the prices will once again fail down and many LCS will loose interest all together.

Personally, I know that there will now always be a market for these books at a certain price, which is more then I can say for the majority of 90's books. But if the prices don't jump over the chasm they now stare into then valiant we always be a second tier collection much like EC books. How well they do in the next two years will really be a sign.
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

whetteon wrote:We hit interesting times as the original posters who are inherently cheap have already picked alot of the pre-unity/premium issues clean from LCS and thus rising interest in the back issue market. Now that supplies are a bit limited, sellers want more for their books. However, the original crews that boost these books up to their current level are no longer interested in buying them for the new said prices. So we need the mainstream comic collecting community to start picking them up or the prices will once again fail down and many LCS will loose interest all together.

Personally, I know that there will now always be a market for these books at a certain price, which is more then I can say for the majority of 90's books. But if the prices don't jump over the chasm they now stare into then valiant we always be a second tier collection much like EC books. How well they do in the next two years will really be a sign.
This is an interesting point...
Since I've been buying Valiant on Ebay since 1997, it's clear that
there are many "support levels" for most of the important Valiant books.
For instance, I would always pay $30 for a near mint Unity #0 Red.
But I'm sure there are guys on this board that would pay $40, or $50.
The "new buying group" might need to pay $60, $80, or $100 for the book,
and we don't know if the book will sustain those prices because you have
to have either new buyers, or continued support from old buyers.
But I would guess that the "established fan support" would kick in before the book
fell all the way back to $30.

I guess I'm saying that it's not just "original posters" and "new buyers",
but a variety of levels within each group. It'll be hard to predict where
each book's support might ultimately fall if there was a downturn in the market.
(The perfect example we have right now is X-O #1/2 Gold.)

:thumb: