Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Horrors from the Con!

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

I hope I have placed this under the proper discussion topic. If not, Greg can you please help put me there?

Cons are great experiences. You get chances to interact with some really great people, meet artists you enjoy, visit comic book booths, the list is endless. One of my new favorites is hunting for autographs, and that was the plan this ECCC2017, hunt down some amazing art and great sigs from people I admire. All in all, I had about 30 books I wanted signed.

The Con started unbelievably amazing. As one of the first in the door, I hit the Valiant booth, visit for a quick minute, then up to visit Rafer Roberts and Dave Baron. I had to pick up an amazing piece from Rafer, and commission another one from Dave. I also landed numerous "1st signed copies", so cloud 9 was reached seriously quick!

Day two was just as amazing, as I got my commissioned art from both Dave and from Matt Kindt. This was turning into a one-of-a-kind Con! As a few of you know, I had one major plan that I had been working on for a little while, one that cost me a good deal of money, and a good chunk of time. Recently, I purchased a run of The Valiant #1-4 1:50 along with a #1 1:100 with the idea that I would have both Kindt and Lemire sign these books. This is the series of books that got me into Valiant, as this story is amazing! I'm somewhat of a completionist, I wanted to have 9.8's on all 5 of these books, and this Con made it a possibility. The good news, both Kindt and Lemire would be at the Valiant booth signing at the same time, The bad news, they only had 45 minutes and Lemire was only doing one signing for Valiant.

I realized that the majority of all my signings would revolve around these two, especially Lemire. I took the time pre-gaming this Con and set up my comic book holders to house all of my copies of The Valiant, so I could make it easier to get them out and get them signed. I furthermore advised CGC and the Valiant booth that I had a good deal of books I wanted signed, so I volunteered to be the last one to sign. I seriously thought I was all set, ready to rock and roll, as I had about 20ish books for them to sign. I had my pens, my books, my everything ready to go. What I didn't have going in my favor was time. Time was my equalizer, my enemy, my destroyer.

My CGC witness and I arrived at the booth, and there was a sizable line. No worries I thought, this will move quickly. Sure enough, the line moves, but so does time.

Three people before me, and someone says both Matt and Jeff have 15 minutes left and they MUST be at another booth/panel. A slight bit of panic sets in, but still I am in control. This just needs to be efficient. I've got my friend Speedy with me, he's a collector, I can open the comics, present them to be signed, he can monitor their dryness and reseal them for the CGC rep.

I should have known, time(the lack of it) plus pressure equals nerves.

First few start off not too bad, I get them out, they get signed, placed safely back in the bags, things are going good. Lemire even states he has never signed a Bloodshot Reborn Gold #1 before. Dinesh, being the kick *SQUEE* person he is, stops what he is doing, and explains to Jeff what this means and how important it is. Jeff reiterates that he hadn't even seen this comic before and to my pleasure, signs "1st signed copy".

I'm over the moon! Through the roof! Out the back door! THIS WAS HUGE (although I do have my doubts, the book is 2+ years old)!

I wrap up my first box.... Where is my second box??? I thought I had both of them out here, where is my second stack of comics? I begin to freak out, as I know this is the group of comics I have worked pretty darn hard to get, and I start thinking they just got stolen! Tearing my bag apart, I realize I hadn't gotten my other box out and that I was looking at my nephews box of books. Still a bit freaking out, I open up my box to check them, yes they are there!

I Reach in and pull out the contents....

10 books go flying towards Jeff and Matt as they all slip from my nervous hands and go all over the place!

*SQUEE*! *SQUEE* *SQUEE* damn *SQUEE*-y *SQUEE*-ity! What just happened???

Tons of OOOOOHHHH's from the peanut gallery and time lost because of me throwing my books at Jeff and Matt, then having to inspect them for damage. Luckily, none that I could see right off the top, so I proceeded. #1 of The Valiant, crosses, all is good. I am pumping these books out, placing them in front of Jeff. He is signing them quickly and passing them along to Matt. Matt is talking to Eric Heisserer and trying to keep pace.

After #4 lands in front of Jeff, I immediately turn my attention to assisting Speedy and that's when I saw it.

Someone had picked up #3 after Matt had signed it and smeared his signature... The ink was still wet.

I turned grey. I wouldn't call it angry, or even upset. Who could I be mad at? Both Matt, Jeff, and Speedy were there to do something for me, to support me. I guess I would just call it a kick in the grundles! The boys taking a shot! Looking back, I see my errors, I see where I went wrong. Time was not on my side, I should have broken this up. I walked to the CGC booth with my chin on my chest, crushed by what just happened. First thing I ask is how bad will it be docked? My witness immediately went and got the person in charge so that I could get a fair assessment. She took a look, and told me the honest truth, about one full point. Kick #2 in the grundles!

Dejected, I fill out the paperwork, and decide not to submit this book. I pack it up, and walk away from the booth. After a few minutes, I calm down some, and decide I have worked too hard for this, I need to submit this book. I go back to ask, but I already know the answer, I walked away, so the signatures don't count.... Kick #3 in the grundles.

I guess I write this for multiple reasons. First, I had to get this out of my system. I know there are others that have gone through these types of horrors and turmoils. While I have already moved on, it still stings a little. I have the book right next to me and while it doesn't make me ill, there is still a little sadness. Second, as a warning to others. Slow the friggin hell down! Break your signatures up in chunks, plan better. If it can't be done, then make the decision to NOT get certain sigs. I know I will get another chance to get them both to sign another The Valiant #3 1:50, it'll just take time.

Thanks for reading, and if you've had a similar "whale-fail", feel free to post it here.
Moose

TheeBaldMoose
Re: Horrors from the Con!

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Awesome book!

I just can't handle the SS submission process. Too much time and stress. And if they aren't 9.8, you lose money. Good luck on the books. Hope they are 9.8s!

apacseller
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

Thanks for sharing the story. I'm sure we can all relate to it at some point in our collecting. :(

Maybe submit that green label 8.5/9.0 anyway. Over time, if might bring a smile to your face as you remember everything else that went right that day.
Last edited by apacseller on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:14:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I'm sorry bro.

That's a bummer

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

I got short of breath reading that. Bummer, man. What a kick in the balls.

As far as Con misfortunes go, this one time I tried to get a picture with Levar Burton. It didn't go the way I imagined it would.

And then another time I met Chuck Palahnuik by chance and was so excited about talking to him (and getting lost in his eyes) that I forgot to take a picture with him. Still really bummed about that. :(

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Blood of Heroes wrote:I got short of breath reading that. Bummer, man. What a kick in the balls.

As far as Con misfortunes go, this one time I tried to get a picture with Levar Burton. It didn't go the way I imagined it would.

And then another time I met Chuck Palahnuik by chance and was so excited about talking to him (and getting lost in his eyes) that I forgot to take a picture with him. Still really bummed about that. :(
I got short of breath too! And I don't even care about CGC stuff.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

TheeBaldMoose

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Thanks guys.

I just might go CBCS and their version, seems they get a better response vs CGC when it comes to verified sigs. Looking back, I just needed to slow down all together. Sure the signature process was rough, I had too many books. Other than that, the artists/authors were awesome (Lemire charged $5 at his booth, but free at Valiants booth), my CGC witness was awesome, all in all it was a great experience. Sure, I have remorse with the smudged sig, but over time I might have more remorse with not just submitting the book. It's a flawless book, real great shape. Even if I get the opportunity to get both of those sigs again, I might not get rid of this one, because of the lesson I learned.

I won't be swayed away from getting Signature Series books, they are just too much damn fun!
Moose

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

A witnessed smear should not cost you in grade. The fact it's being signed should reduce a grade. That's bull squee.
Sounds like a friend or gf helping you may be beneficial next time.
I Miss the good old days.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

It's like painting a wall, or laying tile, or anything else DIY. 99% of the time only you look at the imperfection, and it drives you crazy. Most people won't even notice.

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aport
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Bob Layton
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by Aport »

Thanks for sharing. So sorry brother.
Wow that sucks. You could still do the purple label if you cant find another copy of that comic.

The black ink is the best ink to use. Im surprised that happen.

You should make the windows with the blue tape on the bags. It speeds up the process and protects the books.
Also add extra boards and extenders to protect the book.
It took me a few cons, but i finally have a good system.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

nycjadie wrote:It's like painting a wall, or laying tile, or anything else DIY. 99% of the time only you look at the imperfection, and it drives you crazy. Most people won't even notice.
This is so damn true. I hung one piece of wallpaper upside down in our last house in a small bathroom. It was a complicated pattern and no one else could tell, but I hated using the bathroom there because it drove me insane.

*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

lorddunlow wrote:
nycjadie wrote:It's like painting a wall, or laying tile, or anything else DIY. 99% of the time only you look at the imperfection, and it drives you crazy. Most people won't even notice.
This is so damn true. I hung one piece of wallpaper upside down in our last house in a small bathroom. It was a complicated pattern and no one else could tell, but I hated using the bathroom there because it drove me insane.

Oh, man. I have some stories. My wife and I single-handedly restored a 150 year-old house in the Catskill mountains. I was putting in a shower, and because our hot water heater was out, mixed the hot and cold pipes in the shower. The problem was the fancy hardware I put in there labelled them "hot" and "cold." I didn't notice the problem until AFTER I sheetrocked and tiled everything. Every time I took a shower, I'd get *SQUEE*.