Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
Ok, so... HeroesCon 2015

Post by slym2none »

Discuss amongst yourselves.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

AnthonyF
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Re: Ok, so... HeroesCon 2015

Post by AnthonyF »

I'll be there! :D
Who all is too?

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

At this point, I plan on being there. I don't know in what capacity, but for at least one day, I will be there.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Tim »

I'll be there just as I have been the last 19 years. :thumb: The lads have our hotel booked and will be there all three days.

The guest list is still in progress, but other than Klaus Janson it's shaping up to be an unremarkable showing as far as talent, with pretty much the same people who are there every year, but who knows who they might add. Not seeing Valiant on the exhibitors list, but they weren't there last year and I hope they remedy that this year. Heroescon is always fun no matter what, though. Last year the vibe I got from most of the vendors and dealers was that it wasn't a good con business-wise, but I didn't see that myself. They opened both halls up two years ago, which I loved because there was SO much room to walk around, but I think it may have appeared to be less attendance because there was twice as much space. Maybe that's what the dealers were talking about.

Anyway, I'll be there! Geocarr will be there and Cinlach is there almost every year.

Orbitalshift, Carson, dhudson1....you guys in?

String

Post by String »

There has to be at least one comic professional there that I really want to meet in order for me to undertake the 3 hour journey to Charlotte. In the last few years there hasn't been, but this year, there might be one, he's tentatively scheduled to be there, if he does attend, he won't be officially announced till either late April or May. So I'm :hope:

Tim

Post by Tim »

String wrote:There has to be at least one comic professional there that I really want to meet in order for me to undertake the 3 hour journey to Charlotte. In the last few years there hasn't been, but this year, there might be one, he's tentatively scheduled to be there, if he does attend, he won't be officially announced till either late April or May. So I'm :hope:
Who's that? Last years big draw was Kevin Eastman for me. At this point there's nobody I'm dying to see anymore. I get fewer and fewer books signed and hardly ever get commissions anymore. I'm just there for the vibe these days. The vibe and the quarter boxes. The two guys I go with every year and I hardly ever get to see each other during the year so it's kind of a tradition for us to hit Heroescon all three days to catch up. The fact that we're surrounded by a ton of like-minded people and awesome stuff to see is just the icing.

My only problem is that my friends always talk about how much hell we're going to raise and beer we're going to pound up until the show. Then they're sipping the same drink all night long while usually end up roaming the halls of our hotel with no shirt or shoes, chatting up strangers and making an embarrassment of myself. :oops:

:D

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

I have checked out the guest list & artist line-up, and I do hope we get a better selection before show-time, as I have a book I want sketched on. But that's the only reason for my desires there.

:)

-slym

String

Post by String »

Tim wrote:
String wrote:There has to be at least one comic professional there that I really want to meet in order for me to undertake the 3 hour journey to Charlotte. In the last few years there hasn't been, but this year, there might be one, he's tentatively scheduled to be there, if he does attend, he won't be officially announced till either late April or May. So I'm :hope:
Who's that? Last years big draw was Kevin Eastman for me. At this point there's nobody I'm dying to see anymore. I get fewer and fewer books signed and hardly ever get commissions anymore. I'm just there for the vibe these days. The vibe and the quarter boxes. The two guys I go with every year and I hardly ever get to see each other during the year so it's kind of a tradition for us to hit Heroescon all three days to catch up. The fact that we're surrounded by a ton of like-minded people and awesome stuff to see is just the icing.

My only problem is that my friends always talk about how much hell we're going to raise and beer we're going to pound up until the show. Then they're sipping the same drink all night long while usually end up roaming the halls of our hotel with no shirt or shoes, chatting up strangers and making an embarrassment of myself. :oops:

:D

Stan Sakai. According to his message boards, he plans on attending (for the first time ever) but he doesn't shore up travel plans until a month or so before an event. That's why, if he is still able to attend, he won't be officially announced till April/May.

If he's gonna be there, then I'm there. :thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Stan is the nicest man you will ever meet.

Also, if you get a chance watch him sketch, it's amazing.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Just thought I'd post the link to the site for this year's HeroesCon.

http://www.heroesonline.com/heroescon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

-slym

Tim

Post by Tim »

Either I don't read enough new comics or this guest list is shaping up to be pretty ho-hum standard. :-?

AnthonyF

Post by AnthonyF »

Tim wrote:Either I don't read enough new comics or this guest list is shaping up to be pretty ho-hum standard. :-?
Matt Kindt, Lewis LaRosa. What more do you need? :kidaround:

Mike Zeck, Wrightson, and Art Adams will draw some in. But the list is a little lackluster.

Tim

Post by Tim »

AnthonyF wrote:
Tim wrote:Either I don't read enough new comics or this guest list is shaping up to be pretty ho-hum standard. :-?
Matt Kindt, Lewis LaRosa. What more do you need? :kidaround:

Mike Zeck, Wrightson, and Art Adams will draw some in. But the list is a little lackluster.
Mike Zeck was super cool year before last. I was kind of surprised at that because I'd heard he wasn't crazy about conventions. Looking forward to getting my copy of Last Stand signed as I forgot to bring it last time. Did manage to get Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast paperback, Logan's Run #6 and Legends of the Dark Knight #50 signed. My LOTDK #50 has been signed by Brian Bolland, Mike Zeck, Brian Stelfreeze, Kevin Nowlan, Kevin Macguire, Mark Schultz and Walter Simonson and I'm looking forward to picking up Bob Wiacek's this year.

Also have a Wonder Woman #600 signed by Adam Hughes, Lail Simone, George Perez, Shane Davis, Ivan Reis, Amanda Connor, Scott Kolins, and Louise Simonson that I'm going to get Wiacek and Francis Manapul on this year.

Anniversary issues with lots of backup stories and pin ups are great for getting tons of sigs on.

Maybe I should get Stan Lee to sign them...... :hm:

Arthur Adams was cool too. There was a girl dressed up as Storm last year getting an entire shortbox signed and when he saw someone else behind her he told her she would have to get a few boosk signed, go to the back of the line and get a few more signed, and repeat till she was done. That was pretty cool. Gracious enough to sign all her crap, but not willing to let other fans suffer in the process.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Also, MAD PROPS to Kevin Eastman's staff. Last year at Heroescon Eastman's line was around the building on Saturday so I vowed to get there super-early on Sunday. When the con opened to advance ticket holders I was third in line. The first guy in line was a retailer with a hand truck of shortboxes, which was no big deal until when Eastman got there he got on his phone and called his employees to come to the line. He gave them all two books each (Kevin's limit per fan) and they got in line beside him. I didn't even have time to get enraged before one of Kevin's staff came over and was like "Naw, man....one person waited in line, one person gets to go". The retailer got lippy with him but Kevin's guy stopped him and said that either the other guys could go to the back of the line or ALL of them could go and if that was a problem he'd be happy to see them all out of the convention completely. That dude was my hero.

Same retailer tried to get a bulk deal on Adam Hughes charity sketches the same day! :lol:

AnthonyF

Post by AnthonyF »

Awesome story! That would have left me grinning ear to ear!
:P

Seriously, the competition for art and signatures has gotten stupid.

Tim

Post by Tim »

AnthonyF wrote:Awesome story! That would have left me grinning ear to ear!
:P

Seriously, the competition for art and signatures has gotten stupid.
Yeah, I'm basically out of both of those games. I've gotten pretty much all the signatures I'd like to have on the books that have special meaning to me except for a few notable persons (I'm looking in your direction Mr. JOSHUA DYSART!!). I'm not into new comics enough to know most of the guests at cons these days anyway. My wall is getting too full of sketches and also sketches are getting so expensive due to people flipping them on eBay. I'm almost never happy with what I pay for. I do LOVE getting sketches from unknowns. #1 to support them and #2 who knows if they'll be out of my price range someday, but it seems that even people who have never even published anything are wanting $40-50 bucks for a 15 minute sketch. It's their price to set, but, jeez...really?

String

Post by String »

Discussing Gilad's characterization with Kindt in person would be interesting.

Francis Manapul, he made the Flash into one of the best books early on into the launch of the Nu52, fantastic sense of page design and layout.

And Bill Willingham, man, I've been reading his stuff since the late 80s, that would be a real treat to meet him.

Magnus9178
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Ron Marz

Post by Magnus9178 »

This is a great show, I went for the first time last year and had planned on going again this year but circumstances will not permit it.

Last year I got a great LaRosa sketch for a great price and Wrightson was selling very very cheap affordable art.

Best thing about this con is the line isn't crazy. We showed up about an hour before they started letting people in and we were about 90 people deep. Don't get me wrong, this show does pack it in but in comparison to lets say Baltimore where you have to show up around 4-5 hours early to be 100 people deep if you're lucky.

I do highly recommend this show if you can make it :thumb:

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

I fly into the U.S. the day of the event, so it is unlikely that I'll be able to attend for a number of logistical reasons.

I DO need help with getting a few books signed and slabbed if anyone is willing assist. I've got about 10 books that need Lewis's sig on them and would be more than willing to cut a deal with whoever is willing.

Just LMK if you are able and willing, and I'll have the books shipped to you.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Magnus9178 wrote: We showed up about an hour before they started letting people in and we were about 90 people deep. Don't get me wrong, this show does pack it in but in comparison to lets say Baltimore where you have to show up around 4-5 hours early to be 100 people deep if you're lucky.

I always try to be an hour LATE on the first day so I can just walk right in. We started doing that accidentally when my buddies and I consistently goofed around and made ourselves late. Worked out pretty well so we started doing it on purpose.

Sunday I try to get there pretty early because usually if you buy the weekend pass and get a badge you can get in an hour earlier than regular ticket holders.

zarathstra
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Faith
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong

Post by zarathstra »

I'll be going at least 2 days. I agree the guest list isn't great, but since this will be the first time in many years I'll be there more than one day, I should have plenty of time to hit the discount bins. I wish Valiant was exhibiting though...

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Hey all, I will be exhibiting my company for the first time at Heroes Con. As you can see in my signature here, the name of my company is ComicBlitz (although we have since changed our logo). We are doing the Netflix for digital comics thing, and have been for a while now. So, forget Scribd, and when we launch read all your favorite books with us!
But, I am looking for a little help at the show, and in return, I will provide a free pass for the weekend. Not much help is needed, maybe just check in every now and again and watch over the booth while I take a bathroom break, or be able to do a food/water run for me, or some other people that might be at the table.....
If anyone is interested, please PM me.
Thanks!
Jordan

Tim

Post by Tim »

Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Hey all, I will be exhibiting my company for the first time at Heroes Con. As you can see in my signature here, the name of my company is ComicBlitz (although we have since changed our logo). We are doing the Netflix for digital comics thing, and have been for a while now. So, forget Scribd, and when we launch read all your favorite books with us!
But, I am looking for a little help at the show, and in return, I will provide a free pass for the weekend. Not much help is needed, maybe just check in every now and again and watch over the booth while I take a bathroom break, or be able to do a food/water run for me, or some other people that might be at the table.....
Thanks!
Jordan
Hey, Jordan! I already have a weekend pass, but I'll be glad to stop in from time to time to see if you need to take a break.

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Tim wrote:
Bone-A-Fach-ee wrote:Hey all, I will be exhibiting my company for the first time at Heroes Con. As you can see in my signature here, the name of my company is ComicBlitz (although we have since changed our logo). We are doing the Netflix for digital comics thing, and have been for a while now. So, forget Scribd, and when we launch read all your favorite books with us!
Thanks!
Jordan
Hey, Jordan! I already have a weekend pass, but I'll be glad to stop in from time to time to see if you need to take a break.
Thanks Tim, much appreciated. And I should say that everyone going from the VF boards should stop by just to say hi, if nothing else! Always great to meet Valiant fans!

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Guest List so far includes:
Arthur Adams
John Beatty
June Brigman
Pat Broderick
Geof Darrow
Jeff Dekal - VEI
Nick Dragotta
Matt Fraction
Francesco Francavilla - VEI
Jonathan Hickman
Stuart Immomen
Klaus Janson
Dave Johnson - VEI
Matt Kindt - VEI
Lewis Larosa - VEI
Tom Lyle
Francis Manapul
Mike McKone
Bob McLeod
Ryan Ottley
Tom Raney - VEI
Brian Reber - VEI
Andrew Robinson
Tim Sale
Robert Venditti - VEI
Bill Willingham
Matt Wilson
Bernie Wrightson
Chip Zdarsky - VEI
Mike Zeck

and a ton of others but these are the highlights for me! If the wife lets me go!
***Support your local farmers!***