X-O Slabs heating up

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
X-O Slabs heating up

Post by jmatt »

Since the Cena tweet, 9.8s have gone up around $75. On April 8, a few went for about $150 or less. I just sold one for $225 and a 9.6 for $69 plus shipping. I relisted a 9.6 at $79 to see what happens. Might hang back on 9.8s for a bit and see if the market climbs.

And they called me crazy when I bought that lot. :D

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: X-O Slabs heating up

Post by nycjadie »

I saw the Tweet and thought of you and that lot. What a great investment. At the time, it was too rich for my blood. I hope you make a killing.

I wonder what is actually going to become of the Cena thing, if anything. Seems suspicious.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

GLWTS JMatt! Did I miss the value increase on Eternal Warrior #4 and RAI #0 slabs when the Bloodshot movie was first announced? It seems the value of those books, plus Valiant books in general have been on a decline. I always thought if Valiant made it to the big screen, there would be an increase of the value of the 9.8 books. Seems like I was wrong, or I just missed it. What are your thoughts?

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

mkb28 wrote:I always thought if Valiant made it to the big screen, there would be an increase of the value of the 9.8 books. Seems like I was wrong, or I just missed it. What are your thoughts?
So there 100% was an increase in value for these 9.8a, and it happened a few years ago.

The jump in frequency of sales occurred over time and spiked highest in the past year.

Remember: EW4 was NOT a thing in 9.8 until the last 5-6 years. Prior to the DMG announcement that book was $5-10 raw, and $50-100 in 9.8.

What happens (I believe) is that a book is largely ignored, and as a result, there are NOT many slabbed copies in circulation. Then, if that same book suddenly becomes HOT, those 9.8s sell for a premium.

Until everyone else catches on, and submits their hoarded stockpiles. Within a year or two, the market has 3-5x the original supply, and prices drop.

So, the trick is to have the good stuff ready to sell, before everyone else has the chance to get ready to sell.

DirtbagSailor
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

With super rare books, the above does post plays out somewhat differently, as there are NOT hoarded stockpiles waiting in everyone’s long boxes.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

DirtbagSailor wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:20:06 am
mkb28 wrote:I always thought if Valiant made it to the big screen, there would be an increase of the value of the 9.8 books. Seems like I was wrong, or I just missed it. What are your thoughts?
So there 100% was an increase in value for these 9.8a, and it happened a few years ago.

The jump in frequency of sales occurred over time and spiked highest in the past year.

Remember: EW4 was NOT a thing in 9.8 until the last 5-6 years. Prior to the DMG announcement that book was $5-10 raw, and $50-100 in 9.8.

What happens (I believe) is that a book is largely ignored, and as a result, there are NOT many slabbed copies in circulation. Then, if that same book suddenly becomes HOT, those 9.8s sell for a premium.

Until everyone else catches on, and submits their hoarded stockpiles. Within a year or two, the market has 3-5x the original supply, and prices drop.

So, the trick is to have the good stuff ready to sell, before everyone else has the chance to get ready to sell.
The typical cycle for modern age "movie books" seems to be:
Announcement - Highest jump in price/few copies available
Waiting period - Steep drop and steady increase as movie comes to fruition/more copies in circulation
Movie launch - Solid prices, but lower than early waiting period/copies are flooded in the market

There are exceptions, of course. 1st Deadpool being one of them.

For Valiant books, I'd sell your X-O copies now. You can always buy them later at a lower price.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

That’s a great haul!

I just sold an XO raw on eBay, and will be listing multiples over the next few days.

I sold off multiple Rai 0s and both EW 9.8s I had around their peak, I just don’t think the price increase is sustainable.

My recommendation is to list one of those books auction style every week starting at a buck. You’ll be riding the trend up and down and the dollar-cost averaging will balance itself out. Don’t look to sell all copies near the top, or you might miss out selling the bulk when prices come down - which they eventually will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

jmatt wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:51:26 pm Since the Cena tweet, 9.8s have gone up around $75. On April 8, a few went for about $150 or less. I just sold one for $225 and a 9.6 for $69 plus shipping. I relisted a 9.6 at $79 to see what happens. Might hang back on 9.8s for a bit and see if the market climbs.

And they called me crazy when I bought that lot. :D

How did you handle that purchase? I can’t remember how many you got....I just remember it was a hoard! .... but did you prescreen for 9.8 and 9.6s? .... or just grade them all?

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I don't remember how many at this point. There's what you see there and I think 17 that didn't pass the 9.6 pre-screen. They all look pretty perfect to me... I wished I had just screened for 9.8 and then kept resubmitting.

LAPE
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: 4000 A.D.
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Garbett

Post by LAPE »

Just sold a couple vf issues for $30 and a cgc 9.4 for $70

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

The 9.6 went for $79 and 2 9.8s, one at $225 and one at $207, both with $15 shipping.