WTB VH1 pre-unity books, only a few missing...DONE

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

shadow5555
My posts can all fit in a short box
WTB VH1 pre-unity books, only a few missing...DONE

Post by shadow5555 »

Hi Everybody,

After jumping into getting a few dead universe collections earlier this year (Defiant, VH2/Acclaim, Ultraverse) I decided that I wanted to get a complete single issues collection of VH1 after all of these years.

I've owned all of the original TPB's for the pre-Unity books since they originally were released and thought I was content with that for the last 20+ years (as far as having a "complete collection").

Well, I guess not (mainly because there were so few I needed (26), plus they had some cool extras in them, bonus story, etc.) so I decided to try and hunt them up.

Nycjadie/Steve (thank you good sir :thumb:) made me an excellent deal on most of what I needed but there are a few he didn't have that I still need to pickup.

Not looking for high grade books, VF/FN are acceptable as long as intact & no major damage or wear to them.

Also any that contain coupons DO NOT need to have them in the books, I'd prefer the coupon-less books since they're usually cheaper, but if you have a complete one for a good price, please let me know.

The List - aka the LAST EIGHT
---------
Harbinger - 1, 3 **(currently bidding on Harbinger #1, Ebay Auction, looking to buy less than $25-30)
Magnus - 1
Rai - 1, 2, 3, 4
Shadowman - 1 **(currently bidding on Ebay Auction, looking to buy less than $15)
Solar - 2

----

Still Missing these TWO if anyone can help :wink:
I'm also missing TWO VH2/Acclaim books, but unless someone is willing to make me an awesome deal on both of them I can live without them. :lol: (I'll put them here, just in case)

((Awesome deal = less than $30-40 per book, preferably less :wink:))

Armorines (1999 2nd Series Acclaim) #4
Shadowman (1999 3rd Series Acclaim) #6

I'll give this post a few days to see if anyone has anything to offer, if not, I'll head back to Lonestar Comics and just pick up the ones I'm missing. Probably the end of this weekend. Then I'll update what I need from there.

PM me with deals, thanks!!! :thumb:
Last edited by shadow5555 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:23:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I AM The Night!!!

shadow5555
Re: WTB VH1 pre-unity books, only a few missing...

Post by shadow5555 »

Responded to DM for 7 out of 8, I'm still missing. Working out details.

Harbinger # 1 is still being elusive.

Bidding on one, I'll update if I win it...or not. :P

Anyone have a VF reader copy, that they're willing to let go for a reasonable price? :hope:

Let me know. :thumb:

-----------------

Edit: No Dice on Harbinger #1...I almost can't believe a coupon-less copy just sold for almost $60...crazy. :|

I'll up my ante a bit.

If this current deal goes through, that the LAST ONE I'm still missing.

If anyone has a lower grade that they can bear to part with please PM me. Thanks :wink:
I AM The Night!!!

shadow5555

Post by shadow5555 »

A quick update.

Harbinger # 1 is still being elusive.

Harbinger # 1 is finally gotten.

Edit: No Dice on Harbinger #1...I almost can't believe a coupon-less copy just sold for almost $60...crazy

Sadly that is about what I had to pay as well.

I don't know what the hottest book is for VH1 pre-unity stuff is but this one is doing crazy numbers and with the amount of people after it, I don't see those prices settling down.

In the last few weeks of tracking it, it went from high $30's to upwards of $80-100 per book.

I had some (what I'd consider) high bids for the book and everyone was outbid by $10-15 outside of my range, yeah not $1-2 that you'd commonly see. People and their movie hype driving prices up....

Still working with Rico on the last seven books. Hope to have a deal in place today and wrap this project up this weekend. (took a bit longer than expected to complete this project.)

Will update when everything is done and dusted. :thumb:
I AM The Night!!!

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

I can fill Rai 1-4 and Solar 2. Will pull them and shoot you a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadow5555
Re: WTB VH1 pre-unity books, only a few missing...DONE

Post by shadow5555 »

All Done.

(except those two VH2 books, see first post :wink: )

A BIG, HUGE thanks for helping with finishing these set to nycjadie & Ricomortis. I appreciate your patience and willingness to strike a great deal with me on these books. Humbly, I thank you both. :thumb:

Also a sincere thank you to aj583 for offering to help out with offering a few others I was missing, taking the time to send pictures and offering a fair deal. Maybe next time, good sir, I am grateful to you for your kindness.

Also a quick shout out of appreciation to Greg for the VH1 checklist which has been extremely valuable for saving time and effort to catalog what I was missing and what I had. Thank you, good sir.

I grabbed a few others from Lonestar that I was missing, and saw two others I some how overlooked that I had to go back and grab (Rai #0 & Captain Johner and the Aliens #2) from them as well yesterday.

Other than Gold/VSS & other promotional books I have no interest in, I call this collection complete (finally) after 25 years. :D (which I thought was complete 10 years ago too :hm: :lol: )

Thanks again for everyone's help. Cheers.
I AM The Night!!!

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

Congrats on finishing. :high-five:

It must feel good to get the project done. :clap:

I am working on the same set as you but slabbed and down to 1 Unity and 4 pre-Unity (plus vintage Magnus) so I know what it is like to be so close to the goal. Great job in completing it

Likely the best stretch of books in all of comics.

shadow5555

Post by shadow5555 »

magnus20009 wrote:Congrats on finishing. :high-five:

It must feel good to get the project done. :clap:

I am working on the same set as you but slabbed and down to 1 Unity and 4 pre-Unity (plus vintage Magnus) so I know what it is like to be so close to the goal. Great job in completing it

Likely the best stretch of books in all of comics.
Thanks. :thumb:

I agree, seeing Shooter's vision in these early titles and how they are tied together stings a bit when reading later books (as in, what could have been) but it's a shame that other than this community, no one talks about the early stories being as strong as they were and ultimately ignore them in favor of later books and events, which IMHO were not nearly as good.

When he was forced out, I'd argue only a small handful of books actually got better because of that (Eg. Shadowman), and they lost a lot of the talent that left with him out of a sense of loyalty which hurt other books (Harbinger, Solar & eventually Archer & Armstrong when BWS left).

Thankfully I also owned most of them before I went on this "quest" as I couldn't justify many more Harbinger prices for some books (ala Eternal Warrior #4) which I paid $6 back 15 years ago (which I think is ~$50-60 now).

Good luck on your set as well. I'm rooting for ya. :wink:
I AM The Night!!!