Secret Weapons #22(!)

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lobo
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Secret Weapons #22(!)

Post by lobo »

Has anybody been buying these? Looks like the seller has been selling multiple copies over the last bunch of weeks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Secret-Weapons ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's the story with this book? Never officially printed but these copies show 2007 print date from VEI

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Secret Weapons #22(!)

Post by magnusr »

lobo wrote:Has anybody been buying these? Looks like the seller has been selling multiple copies over the last bunch of weeks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Secret-Weapons ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's the story with this book? Never officially printed but these copies show 2007 print date from VEI
Missed these auctions. Would also love to know more. I think there was a fan project once for an unpublished issue. Could it have been this one? (to make a digital comic out the original color art for an unpublished issue)?

/Magnus

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

magnusr wrote:
lobo wrote:Has anybody been buying these? Looks like the seller has been selling multiple copies over the last bunch of weeks:

Missed these auctions. Would also love to know more. I think there was a fan project once for an unpublished issue. Could it have been this one? (to make a digital comic out the original color art for an unpublished issue)?

/Magnus
that cover and interior shown were definitely part of the fan project as well as the back cover...I wonder if this is an actual print or if it's something someone did from the pdf file that was put together for the fan project... :hm:

It sold for $114...not a bad turnover if someone had them printed up from the pdf for $3 or $4... :|
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Is the seller Ryan who used to operate the Valiant Collectors Society message board? I can't remember what his board name here is? :hm:
***Support your local farmers!***

chadpdodge
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: Valiant 2014/Acclaim 1999
Favorite character: Ninjak/Shadowman
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Cullen Bunn
Favorite artist: Ben Templesmith/Joseph Schmalk

Post by chadpdodge »

It was a fan project of the people who owned and/or purchased the original artwork; Dinesh included along with the original artist, sonicdan and others. It was published with consent of Valiant. Which I was unsure of because it was 2007, but Harbinger: beginnings and Archer & Armstrong: first impressions was published around the same time. I bought a copy myself and the back of the front/back covers gives the history on the book. Including the "what if" issue #23 on the back, which had the cover art done, but not the pages when Acclaim bought Valiant out. I sent mine off to CGC last month and it's verified and waiting hopefully to be graded any day now.

lobo

Post by lobo »

chadpdodge wrote:It was a fan project of the people who owned and/or purchased the original artwork; Dinesh included along with the original artist, sonicdan and others. It was published with consent of Valiant. Which I was unsure of because it was 2007, but Harbinger: beginnings and Archer & Armstrong: first impressions was published around the same time. I bought a copy myself and the back of the front/back covers gives the history on the book. Including the "what if" issue #23 on the back, which had the cover art done, but not the pages when Acclaim bought Valiant out. I sent mine off to CGC last month and it's verified and waiting hopefully to be graded any day now.
I may have grabbed the last copy as it turns out and I have a proxy sending it to CGC for me as well. I suspect we will see a bunch of these slabbed very soon.

chadpdodge

Post by chadpdodge »

:rant: :rant: :rant:
lobo wrote:
chadpdodge wrote:It was a fan project of the people who owned and/or purchased the original artwork; Dinesh included along with the original artist, sonicdan and others. It was published with consent of Valiant. Which I was unsure of because it was 2007, but Harbinger: beginnings and Archer & Armstrong: first impressions was published around the same time. I bought a copy myself and the back of the front/back covers gives the history on the book. Including the "what if" issue #23 on the back, which had the cover art done, but not the pages when Acclaim bought Valiant out. I sent mine off to CGC last month and it's verified and waiting hopefully to be graded any day now.
I may have grabbed the last copy as it turns out and I have a proxy sending it to CGC for me as well. I suspect we will see a bunch of these slabbed very soon.

lobo

Post by lobo »

Apparently this seller has more copies and I'm guessing they won't divulge how many they have left... because more are selling and the price is really escalating the past 2 weeks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Secret-Weapons ... SwrlRZwcLL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

$438! Makes me feel good about how much I paid for one. Still, an extremely rare book.

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by bobby97801 »

It seems like way too much money for a fan project that nobody knows how many were made or if even more could be produced. It is a cool book but not that cool. Imho

FlipMega
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: Ninjak vol. 1 #23
Favorite title: Harbinger, Imperium, Divinity
Favorite artist: Hairsine, Suayan, LaRosa

Post by FlipMega »

nycjadie wrote:$438! Makes me feel good about how much I paid for one. Still, an extremely rare book.

shocker... last sale right after this thread started (save for the 200 BIN)...

chadpdodge

Post by chadpdodge »

Anyone that has this book. CGC will not certify this book because it's fan made. I tried!

Hello Chad,

Thank you for your recent submission. Upon further processing the following book has been identified as not eligible for grading and encapsulation services.

Line Item 001 – Secret Weapons #22

This is a fan make book and not produced and distributed for comic fans.  We contacted Valiant for information and they requested we do not certify this book as they did not make it.

Any grading charges will be reversed to your account and this book will be returned to you raw. Have a great day.

Regards,

Cynthia Ritchie
Customer Service
p. 877-662-6642 | f. 941-360-2558 
CGCcomics.com

lobo

Post by lobo »

chadpdodge wrote:Anyone that has this book. CGC will not certify this book because it's fan made. I tried!

Hello Chad,

Thank you for your recent submission. Upon further processing the following book has been identified as not eligible for grading and encapsulation services.

This is a fan make book and not produced and distributed for comic fans.  We contacted Valiant for information and they requested we do not certify this book as they did not make it.

Any grading charges will be reversed to your account and this book will be returned to you raw. Have a great day.

Regards,

Cynthia Ritchie
Customer Service
CGCcomics.com
This is BS. How can a comic company tell CGC what to encapsulate or not to encapsulate? Why would CGC care when paying customers are just requiring a grade to be assigned to a 'book'?

Edit:
Furthermore someone should send this email to CBCS and see what their opinion would be.
Last edited by lobo on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:39:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jaden_sai

Post by jaden_sai »

nycjadie wrote:$438! Makes me feel good about how much I paid for one. Still, an extremely rare book.
If anyone wants one for that price, let me know, you can have mine.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

lobo wrote:
chadpdodge wrote:Anyone that has this book. CGC will not certify this book because it's fan made. I tried!

Hello Chad,

Regards,

Cynthia Ritchie
Customer Service
CGCcomics.com
This is BS. How can a comic company tell CGC what to encapsulate or not to encapsulate? Why would CGC care when paying customers are just requiring a grade to be assigned to a 'book'?

Edit:
Furthermore someone should send this email to CBCS and see what their opinion would be.
Because verifying it would make it seem like a legit Valiant publication? It's impossible to know, from this correspondence, what the discussion between CGC and Valiant was.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

Is there a .pdf of this issue?

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Joshua wrote:Is there a .pdf of this issue?
pm sent
***Support your local farmers!***

chadpdodge

Post by chadpdodge »

It's a fan project. I didn't expect it to be certified, but I thought I thought I'd try once I saw Dinesh was part of the group who put I together and that it was copyrighted 2007. I wanted to encapsulate it for the long haul. I guess I'll pop open a CBCS case and put it in there myself. As I've had a couple of my books get small spine dings lately. Despite archives and top - loaders.

chadpdodge

Post by chadpdodge »

PGX does special requests. They're not my preferred grading company, but at least the do special requests. They also will encapsulate without grading if I run across the same issue as CGC. I'll update you all once I ship my copy out.
Regards
Chad

chadpdodge

Post by chadpdodge »

Hello
I've a fan made comic I'd like for it to be graded and encapsulated.  It's a copy of Valiant's Secret Weapons (Vol 1) #22. It was a fan project for valiantfans.com back in 2007. The book consists of original art members owned and the work of the original artist to finish the book. Reason for my encapsulating this comic's because there are very few of these that exists and I'd love to preserve my copy.
Thank you
Chad

Message from PGX:

We would be more than happy to encapsulate that book for you. Just let us know a little about it on the submission form in the notes section and that should help the process.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

lobo wrote: This is BS. How can a comic company tell CGC what to encapsulate or not to encapsulate? Why would CGC care when paying customers are just requiring a grade to be assigned to a 'book'?
Uhm, because it has their logo and intellectual property on it, and they don't want to imply by grading that it's a book they produced? It's pretty simple actually

And if PGX is ok to grade it w/out contacting the publisher, doesn't that speak volumes about PGX? I am not a grader, nor do I know much about that part of the industry but it seems like it's not good for VEI to have a non-vei graded book with VEI logo and property. And CGC Certifies everything, it's in their name. You can't have SLABBED but not certified.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

unityshadowman
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

paradise wrote:
lobo wrote: This is BS. How can a comic company tell CGC what to encapsulate or not to encapsulate? Why would CGC care when paying customers are just requiring a grade to be assigned to a 'book'?
Uhm, because it has their logo and intellectual property on it, and they don't want to imply by grading that it's a book they produced? It's pretty simple actually

And if PGX is ok to grade it w/out contacting the publisher, doesn't that speak volumes about PGX? I am not a grader, nor do I know much about that part of the industry but it seems like it's not good for VEI to have a non-vei graded book with VEI logo and property. And CGC Certifies everything, it's in their name. You can't have SLABBED but not certified.

Agreed, Edward! :thumb:

Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431

chadpdodge

Post by chadpdodge »

My question is.
1)Was it a fan project?
2) If so, on the 1st page it's copyrighted 2007
3) Says Dinesh was part of the project
4) Is this a forgery?
5) I'll take pictures and ask Dinesh myself

If this' a special request I don't have to list a publisher. As they did w/ A + A Bootleg when CGC certified it.

paradise
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

chadpdodge wrote:My question is.
1)Was it a fan project?
2) If so, on the 1st page it's copyrighted 2007
3) Says Dinesh was part of the project
4) Is this a forgery?
5) I'll take pictures and ask Dinesh myself

If this' a special request I don't have to list a publisher. As they did w/ A + A Bootleg when CGC certified it.
Dinesh the fan is NOT THE SAME as VEI the PUBLISHER. Why does that need explaining? :roll:
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

But why couldn't they just encapsulate like a cerebus 1.counterfeit ? Or if you pay the same fee just leave a blank label?

But I never thought that they would grade 1 just odd that they do grade counterfeits