huge bulk lots of vh1

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Re: huge bulk lots of vh1

Post by Rai-fan »

Well, at the risk of being Captain Obvious, that's a stupid price for the # 1s -- basically $50 a piece for VG copies, and with a few hours to go yet.

Also weird to me that these books are now 25 years old -- consider that Magnus # 1 (gold key) was only 28 years old when the Valiant # 1 came out.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

greg wrote:
corey wrote:this seller

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=%28 ... ics&_sop=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if link doesnt work porkyscomics is seller
Holy X-O #1 Stack, Batman! :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292161595932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Me. :D

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Wow. Bold.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

jmatt wrote:
greg wrote:
corey wrote:this seller

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=%28 ... ics&_sop=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if link doesnt work porkyscomics is seller
Holy X-O #1 Stack, Batman! :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292161595932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Me. :D
You bought that? Wow.....

Can someone include the links of the other lots, they're not available to my location.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I'm blown away by the prices for what are unknown grades. I think the ability to get a lot of copies at once at what are very likely about the same grade is interesting, but these are commanding prices that are far above what I usually pay for high grade 9.8 raw candidates. Good luck bidders!

BloodShot
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS
huge bulk lots of vh1

Post by BloodShot »

nycjadie wrote:I'm blown away by the prices for what are unknown grades.
^^^^^^^
THIS :screwy:
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

possumgrease wrote:Wow. Bold.
Yeah, I'm taking some risk here. But it seems to me these were purchased by a hoarder all at once when the book was released. He individually bagged and boarded but with later purchases like the Rai 0, he switched to bagging them in lots of ten. If true, I feel somewhat confident that the books are in good shape. :hope:

Valiant is my publisher.
X-O is my favorite character.
This is the issue to own, for me.

When was I ever gonna get a crack at something like this again? Maybe I'll get lucky and come up with some 9.8s that will balance out the math.

Plus it will make potential movie news more exciting for me. I feel confident that Dino and the crew will eventually get some good movies in the theater.

I'm in contact with Porky's about paying a little extra for some TLC regarding the packing and shipping.

Wish me luck! :)
Last edited by jmatt on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:47:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

good luck man :high-five:

BloodShot
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS
huge bulk lots of vh1

Post by BloodShot »

jmatt wrote:When was I ever gonna get a crack at something like this? Maybe I'll get lucky and come up with some 9.8s that will balance out the math.
I hope you get a poop-load of ‘em; you deserve it for poppin’ on that lot. I hope you get a feckin’ 9.9 or two, as well :wink: .
If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat :roll: .

possumgrease
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I'm just jealous I was outbid. Congrats. Please take pics when you receive them. Splayed out, Scrooge mcduck style.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll take them to NYCC in October if they look good and see what CGC has to say.

I'd much rather buy from a hoarder who I know was counting on the books being an investment (and treated them right) rather than one-offs on Ebay where the seller touted them as "high grade".

Like I said, bit of a gamble. We'll see.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I was outbid on everything too. I bought a CGC 9.6 newsstand from early Image shipped for under $50 to console myself. :P

Rai-fan

Post by Rai-fan »

I got smoked across the board. Bid on 8 lots. Wasn't close on most of them.

Then again, if Spawn # 1 (x 30) can sell for more than $725, I'm also a bit out-of-touch with the market.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

greg wrote:I was outbid on everything too. I bought a CGC 9.6 newsstand from early Image shipped for under $50 to console myself. :P
Me too. I bid on some non keys, and was blown out of the water. At the end of the day, I'm pretty happy that the prices were strong, but I'm also puzzled as well.

corey

Post by corey »

i didnt bother bidding on any there are too many others i want in my want list lol

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Maybe he has a strong following of buyers like mike high, or lonestar. International bidders were prohibited so these were strong sales from the US pool of buyers only.

I'm a bit stunned by some of those prices, I always though bulk purchases were at a discount not a premium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corey

Post by corey »

GGSAE wrote:Maybe he has a strong following of buyers like mike high, or lonestar. International bidders were prohibited so these were strong sales from the US pool of buyers only.

I'm a bit stunned by some of those prices, I always though bulk purchases were at a discount not a premium?

lol what i always thought too but i guess ppl were excited about what they perceived as a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy a buttload of high grades?

still none of these surprise me as much as the nyx 3 lot..that was just dumb to spend over 400 a comic when u can buy 1 for around 325-350

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

They buyers of these are figuring that some percentage will grade out at 9.8. The higher percentage you figure, the more you can pay.

I bid on many of the bulk lots, assuming 10-20% would grade out at 9.8. As someone who has previously bought a collection that looked exactly like that, store overstock bagged exactly the same way, I thought that was generous. I have 50-100 copies of Rai 0 from that collection. There was not more then a few 9.8s in the bunch. I hope these buyers have better luck.

I only got in the ballpark on a few of the listings. The prices indicate to me that some were figuring 30%+ or more to grade out. Sometimes 50%.

Also, if the Harbinger buyers are here, I would love to hear about whether or not the books had coupons.

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

The bulk purchase aspect is definitely an overlooked factor due to the rarity of these types of sales. When else are you going to be able to buy a hoard of one issue, and key/semi-key issues too?
:hm:

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

mrwoogieman wrote:The bulk purchase aspect is definitely an overlooked factor due to the rarity of these types of sales. When else are you going to be able to buy a hoard of one issue, and key/semi-key issues too?
Shipping costs are almost zero, per item. That's a big deal if you normally buy books one at a time. :)

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

mrwoogieman wrote:The bulk purchase aspect is definitely an overlooked factor due to the rarity of these types of sales. When else are you going to be able to buy a hoard of one issue, and key/semi-key issues too?
That was a big factor for me. How often does an opportunity like this present itself for your favorite character's first appearance?

Plus the saved shipping costs instead of buying multiple small lots. (That said, I'm paying extra for better packing and shipping, I'm not risking $2550 on $9.95 style shipping.)

I figure if I get around 9 or 10 9.8s out of the deal, I break even.

Another big factor for me is the prospect of Valiant movies. I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger without the DMG cash infusion and movie possibilities. Movies will move the needle on prices a bit.

The other is just plain fun. It's fun to gamble a little bit. If they all turn out to be run of the mill, decent grade books at $25, I'm out $700 at today's prices. But if there's 20 9.8s in there, fun.

For the record, my top bid was $2651.51. So the purchase was right at the margin of my bail-out point.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Yes if you're in the market for this book/sale...but do you think the guy that plopped down five figures in the NYX comics was thinking, 'I really hope I can be offered a large group of NYX #3s!'
I've bought quite a few bulk collections and seen many more, the appeal is the overall lower average cost base. I don't think any would sell at full retail...

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

The books arrived via FedEx, extremely well packed.

They were apparently all purchased at once back in December of 1992 from Kingpin Comics, the owner wrote the date of purchase, price and seller on the back of each backing board. He paid around $13 per copy.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's too many 9.8s in there. The books are all utterly pristine -- except for tiny abrasions or chips in the top or bottom left corners. I would say (at a glance), they are mostly 9.6 (?) candidates. Here's one of the more egregious examples.

Recent Ebay sales on 9.6s are ringing in between $45 to $76. A recent 9.4 went for $57 with 26 bids. So factoring in slab costs I'm guessing I am about even money at today's prices. But my purchase was with an eye toward some good movie news, so perhaps one day they'll be worth more.

X-O is my book, so I'm delighted with the purchase overall. It's a ridiculously big pile. :D

AnarchoMambo
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Jeff Lemire
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
huge bulk lots of vh1

Post by AnarchoMambo »

My CGC 9.8 Solar #10 has a chip that looks just like that. Others here will have more knowledge about this, but doesn't CGC see it as a manufacturing defect, not affecting overall grade?

I really wish you the best on this. You've shown much courage on the purchase, and in documenting the buy on the forum. If the above is true, I think you could be seeing a good percentage of 9.8s in this lot.
Last edited by AnarchoMambo on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:39:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mrwoogieman

Post by mrwoogieman »

They are called bindery tears, considered a manufacturing defect so does not affect grade. The problem is trying to tell the difference between a crisp corner tear that's a defect and one that's a bindery tear.

Think the grading companies keep a list of issues where it is a known occurrence?

:?
:hm: