question about bulk buys...

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
Re: question about bulk buys...

Post by myron »

GGSAE wrote:I tried deleting some old posts via tapatalk but couldn't, lol....

Anyways, I mentioned awhile back about some guy that was rambling on with a bunch of nonsense when I called him regarding his collection. Here is the ad.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles ... nFlag=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes, most of what he posted in the ad is what he said in our conversation, and the funniest part is picture these words being described in a French accent! :lol:
:lol:

facepalm
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Anyways, I mentioned awhile back about some guy that was rambling on with a bunch of nonsense when I called him regarding his collection. Here is the ad.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles ... nFlag=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes, most of what he posted in the ad is what he said in our conversation, and the funniest part is picture these words being described in a French accent! :lol:
That is hilarious. I had a call yesterday from a really crazy character. He kept talking to me like I knew nothing about comics, and he clearly wants me to know that none of his books are high grade, and that he isn't going to let them go for cheap! Oh boy. Not only that, but I couldn't extricate myself from the conversation. It was both painful and hilarious at the same time. These guys. In the middle of the call, he got in a fight with his wife. Wow! That was something. I haven't heard people talk like that to each other in a long, long time.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

The double posts should be cleaned up now.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Daniel Jackson wrote:The double posts should be cleaned up now.
Thanks Daniel. What happened with the delete function on this forum, not any around anymore? :?

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

nycjadie wrote:

That is hilarious. I had a call yesterday from a really crazy character. He kept talking to me like I knew nothing about comics, and he clearly wants me to know that none of his books are high grade, and that he isn't going to let them go for cheap! Oh boy. Not only that, but I couldn't extricate myself from the conversation. It was both painful and hilarious at the same time. These guys. In the middle of the call, he got in a fight with his wife. Wow! That was something. I haven't heard people talk like that to each other in a long, long time.
That's a different ball of wax.....in terms of the guy I spoke with, I can't believe how disconnected with reality he was. He thought a parent would spend several thousands of dollars for filler comics for their kids to read? I mean seriously, who does that? He absolutely would not consider breaking it apart either, 100%. Sometimes on the very first response you get from a collector it gives a good or bad first impression of where this is heading, I knew I should have ended it there!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

This is what I see most of the time. Sigh.

COMIC COLLECTION FOR SALE - $9000 (WHITE CENTER) hide this posting
COLLECTION OF ABOUT 4K+ COMICS FROM THE 60'2, 70'S, 80'S AND MOST OF ALL FROM THE EARLY 90'S!!! MARVEL, DC, IMAGE, AND MORE!!! ALMOST ALL ARE BAGGED AND BOARDED JUST FEW BOXES OF NON-PROTECTED. SOME ARE SIGNED AND HAVE LOTS OF BEGINNING OF THE SERIES FOR IMAGE. LOT'S OF MARVEL AND LOTS OF FINE TO MINT!

FAIR OFFERS ONLY!!! NO LOW BALLERS CLOGGING UP MY PHONE!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Bought a long box of silver this morning. Mostly war Comics, and most of which have mildew problems. However, some nice old books that escaped damage. Star Wars 1-3 (reprints), early Superman, and a Batman 181, my first. Loose centerfold on one staple, with slight rust, but a first appearance of Poison Ivy nonetheless. The fun books are the teenage hot rods. Those are hilarious. I think I'll put them up on my office wall. $240, which comes to about $1 each. Not bad even with the mildew issues on a percentage of them.

Joe Kubert war Comics always stand out. Some great Neal Adams covers as well.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

nycjadie wrote:Bought a long box of silver this morning. Mostly war Comics, and most of which have mildew problems. However, some nice old books that escaped damage. Star Wars 1-3 (reprints), early Superman, and a Batman 181, my first. Loose centerfold on one staple, with slight rust, but a first appearance of Poison Ivy nonetheless. The fun books are the teenage hot rods. Those are hilarious. I think I'll put them up on my office wall. $240, which comes to about $1 each. Not bad even with the mildew issues on a percentage of them.

Joe Kubert war Comics always stand out. Some great Neal Adams covers as well.
That's a great find :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

nycjadie wrote:Joe Kubert war Comics always stand out. Some great Neal Adams covers as well.
I dig the old war comics. Read a ton of them as a kid. Nice fine! :thumb:

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Just snagged another small comic deal to my gf's delight!!
Paid about 50 cents each for 700 comics, almost all vertigo stuff but a good chunk of batman, loads of the death of superman books (many copies of the black and white poly bag), big Sandman run, Hellblazer run, etc.
On average, the condition is spectacular, the best from what I've purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Beauty Preacher!!
ImageImage
Full run NM+
Watchmen run - NM/NM+!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

:clap:

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I already sold one of the long boxes, the other two longs plus the watchmen and infinity will cover my cost. I'll have all the preachers,sandman, Hellblazers plus the other keys to sit on.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Wanted to share this story. Last weekend, I was on the east side hitting a couple of shops for the first time. I went to a stamp/comic shop, which I've always found are terrible. This one wasn't great, but he did have tons of boxes. However, you needed some fortitude to go through them, and there were no bargains for sure. Those Valiant books were still priced like it was 1993. Anyway, when I'm in the store, this old guy starts hauling in 13 bankers boxes of comics. I hear the nearly senile owner stating that these Conans are not in great shape, he has to sell them for $.50, etc. Nobody likes cowboy or war comics...(this gets my attention now). Senile owner goes to the back of the shop and the seller goes out to his car - I start opening the boxes of comics. They are all 60s Marvel, original owner. The Conan was early Conan. I saw early Avengers, etc. The owner clearly had him. All 13 boxes in the store, downselling him to the point of rip off.

I walk up to the guy when senile owner isn't looking, and I hand him my business card. I said, I can promise you I will pay you much more for this collection.

Guess what? He never called.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

nycjadie wrote:Wanted to share this story. Last weekend, I was on the east side hitting a couple of shops for the first time. I went to a stamp/comic shop, which I've always found are terrible. This one wasn't great, but he did have tons of boxes. However, you needed some fortitude to go through them, and there were no bargains for sure. Those Valiant books were still priced like it was 1993. Anyway, when I'm in the store, this old guy starts hauling in 13 bankers boxes of comics. I hear the nearly senile owner stating that these Conans are not in great shape, he has to sell them for $.50, etc. Nobody likes cowboy or war comics...(this gets my attention now). Senile owner goes to the back of the shop and the seller goes out to his car - I start opening the boxes of comics. They are all 60s Marvel, original owner. The Conan was early Conan. I saw early Avengers, etc. The owner clearly had him. All 13 boxes in the store, downselling him to the point of rip off.

I walk up to the guy when senile owner isn't looking, and I hand him my business card. I said, I can promise you I will pay you much more for this collection.

Guess what? He never called.
Wow, so you think the senile-part was a ruse? If he was putting them out for 50 cents each couldn't you just buy them from the shop owner if the seller wouldn't want them?

I've never been in that situation (don't venture into many shops that often) where a seller comes in to sell to a retail outlet, but it's happened to you a few times. Have you thought about going straight to the owner in front of the shop owner and offer to pay more? Actually tell him you'll give him X dollars right now.....What's the guy gonna do, kick you out of a store where you didn't want to buy anything?

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

The owner was OLD, moved at a snail's pace, and had a hard time thinking quickly. I don't think it was a ruse. There were no bargains in this store, so no chance at these going for $.50. More like $50.

I was very tempted to outsell in front of the owner, but I didn't want to burn the store for myself in the future. It would have been a *SQUEE* move.

Crazy collection. I would have really enjoyed it, and paid him a fair rate. I wouldn't be surprised if he walked out with less than $500 .

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

with him being old and senile, he would have forgotten all about it!
Moose

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I just had a line on a similar deal to what I posted. There were 100 comics less, no major keys but a basket of semi keys (wicked 1-4, ASM 252), but the condition looked poor so I didn't really jump on it. In the past I would have been more aggressive but since but after doing this for a bit I've gotten more picky.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

First pure estate auction pickup for me. It was online-only and I won it during vacation. So I had it shipped and they didn’t even charge me! Saved me a three hour commute pickup time, one box had a few comics that got damaged, but I can’t complain with everything I got overall! It was an awesome buy.Image
The box was actually so heavy Canada post employees aren’t allowed to lift it, lol.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Aside from the damaged Rai, the condition is amazing. Some good runs of EW (3 copies number 4), I’ll have to comb through everything in more detail to see if I should sub them. The Harby1s have their coupons! It’s interesting actually, the owner took a photo copy of the magnus coupons and mailed them to someone at valiant. I havent checked all the Magnus books to see which ones have their coupons.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Wow! Congrats! Free shipping? What?!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I'm surprised someone kept early Valiant books for 25 years and then let them go at an estate auction. Hopefully it wasn't due to the death of a true old-school Valiant collector, even though death is often what an estate sale means.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

greg wrote:I'm surprised someone kept early Valiant books for 25 years and then let them go at an estate auction. Hopefully it wasn't due to the death of a true old-school Valiant collector, even though death is often what an estate sale means.
He had 8k comics along with a ton of other collectibles - estate sale, not the result of a death. None of the other comic lots went cheap, in fact by comparison my buys were an outright steal. That's usually the case for estate auctions, rare variants or obscure books get lost and people buy up the common stuff thinking it's gold!

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Picked-up another small lot for $80 CAD....I took a flier on a tub that looked like it had 100-150 comics with Silver Surfer #2 pictured. There were a bunch of keys/semi keys as well as lots of sets and books that will sell at the show (great $1 fodder).

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Grabbed some nice books lately, a low grade 129 - but it’s complete and real cheap, great for my run. I might go back and grab the rest of his stuff for sale.
Last week nabbed a small box of stuff from a biker church that had a donation, paid $150 for a big run of Xmen. I’ve gone through the books and it looks like I have all but 5 of them, so I’ll probably package the run together and sell it on eBay.ImageImage

The silver age are pretty beat up some are missing covers, but 14 is complete and I need that for my run! There were a stack of about ten books that I priced and added to my con boxes, and some fodder that went to the 50 cent boxes and some that went straight to recycling.