question about bulk buys...

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: question about bulk buys...

Post by nycjadie »

Seriously epic. And you killed a lot of the value of the collection! Any chance at sloppy seconds?

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

I really did cherry pick this BUT there was so much stuff that I'll be going back to get the rest of it... I got the feeling she is ready to get it out of her garage.

There are things I left in that batch that I'm looking back and wishing I did pick those up and I will...soon

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

Do her a favor and make her a bulk deal to buy the rest....

betterthanezra
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

GGSAE wrote:Do her a favor and make her a bulk deal to buy the rest....
That's the plan actually :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Good luck! Have a great time at Sac Con. Doesn't look like I can make it. Hope to meet in person at some point.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

All the boxes in this collection are completely a mess. I flipped through the whole thing, but never made an inventory. After going through 5 boxes I was getting a bit disheartened, as I recalled there being nicer books. Tonight, I found a stack of 20 early Kirby FF. At least $1K worth. Phew!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

ImageImage

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

I spent about 4 hours yesterday going through an 18k independent comic collection....that's right over 18k comics that are not marvel/dc. The seller is a friend of mine, and I'm helping him identify key books, and although he has a massive inventory of comics is not well-versed in modern stuff, especially independents he knows very little. I'm only a third of the way through and I haven't found much; there were a ton of valiants (almost all commons), but good runs in all titles and in high-grade too. Apparently the owner had an affinity for valiants/ultraverse because they were almost all bagged/boarded. I did see some Preunity, and a few late issues (e.g. X-O 68). There are a ton of vertigo and wildstorm books in this lot, I pulled out issue 1s of some of the better titles like ex machina, authority, but I'm pretty sure there's complete runs of these books. None of these books are organized!

The highlight was finding a bunch of The Strains....surprisingly I've found so many of those out there. He has 2 issues #1, the #1 variant (F condition), and a bunch of other issues. Rob had no idea what this title was...Other than that, there's been very few issues of note. The saving grace for him however is seeing The Strain variant, it's a good chance the Marvel/DC collection has Variants for those titles so I told him to keep an eye out for 'em. I'll probably finish the rest of this sorting tomorrow....

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

That sounds very laborious! And for a friend! You are a very good friend, sir.

I'm still sorting the previous collection I bought of 2300 books. I have about 3 short boxes of silver and 4 short boxes of mint Valiant. I think I have 1 long box of 9.8 candidates. The rest is going out the door. I figure I can sell the commons for close to $2500, which will mean I have $1K in the silver and high grade material. I might have to sell that full VF+ run of Marvel Star Wars... Bummer, I was hoping to keep it.

I'm second in line for what sounds like an amazing collection of 5000 comics from 1950-1975. The first buyer saw the collection yesterday. I still have my fingers crossed.

Other than that, the typical inquiries I get are 2 short boxes of Death of Superman stuff with maybe 2-3 books of any value. I never say no outright, but I don't drive out of town for those. They have to come to me.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

nycjadie wrote:That sounds very laborious! And for a friend! You are a very good friend, sir.

I'm still sorting the previous collection I bought of 2300 books. I have about 3 short boxes of silver and 4 short boxes of mint Valiant. I think I have 1 long box of 9.8 candidates. The rest is going out the door. I figure I can sell the commons for close to $2500, which will mean I have $1K in the silver and high grade material. I might have to sell that full VF+ run of Marvel Star Wars... Bummer, I was hoping to keep it.

I'm second in line for what sounds like an amazing collection of 5000 comics from 1950-1975. The first buyer saw the collection yesterday. I still have my fingers crossed.

Other than that, the typical inquiries I get are 2 short boxes of Death of Superman stuff with maybe 2-3 books of any value. I never say no outright, but I don't drive out of town for those. They have to come to me.
Well, we'll figure out something in terms of payment....maybe I'll keep the Strain books as part of the deal, however, there's not a whole lot of big ticket books. I believe this is a closed-store inventory, so that could explain some of the books I'm seeing....it is somewhat fun going through it, but I did underestimate the amount of time it's taking.

What do you mean by going out the door? I'm thinking of cosigning my last purchase to an auction house. We'll see how that goes...

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Good luck with the picking. Must be fun.

Out the door? I sell on eBay, to people I know and then blow the rest to dealers. I try and get a decent price with the least work possible that's my goal. I list stuff in front of the TV at the end of the night.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Finally finishing going over this collection this past weekend. I ended up grabbing a stack of Valiants for myself for my time....and I may go back there (if they're still available) to grab a bunch of commons in the 25-50 cent range. These books are old dealer stock, but very well-cared for, and a lot of them are in solid NM shape. The problem with sorting these books was that they weren't organized, so I would see random spurts of books from titles here and there, and I wasn't thinking of putting any Valiant runs together until I started running through a lot of them. I did grab a bunch of late issues (X-O 68) a few preunities (X-O 4) and good chunks of books I was missing for runs.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Maybe we can do a trade if you get Commons I don't have. I should have the books sorted shortly after Thanksgiving.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

nycjadie wrote:Maybe we can do a trade if you get Commons I don't have. I should have the books sorted shortly after Thanksgiving.
Problem is none of those books are sorted, so I would have to go back there (assuming he doesn't sell them in bulk lots) and search for them.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Just bought a bronze/copper age collection of 600 books approximately for 5 bills. The grades on some of them are not great, but there was a stack of about 50 Batman/Detective comics which I need in pretty solid condition (issues 357 and 359 in there), as well as some ASM (two copies of 195), and a smattering of a few other decent books (she-hulk 2, firestorm 1, DC comics presents 47). Although there's a bunch of mid low/grade comics nearly every copy is a Canadian newsstand, so I'm thinking I might throw some of the runs together on ebay.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

GGSAE wrote:nearly every copy is a Canadian newsstand,
:o
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Nice score!

I've had a few go nowhere. After stating that her 50 or so 1970's non-mainstream title Marvel comics in Good condition were not worth $800, she said, "Do you take me for a mark!"

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

nycjadie wrote:Nice score!

I've had a few go nowhere. After stating that her 50 or so 1970's non-mainstream title Marvel comics in Good condition were not worth $800, she said, "Do you take me for a mark!"
Take me for a mark, lol, was she 80?

Guys, I'm asking your opinion on a great ASM collection. I've been putting a solid run of these books over the years and this would go a long way toward completing it, but I would also want to sell some of the books to off-set my costs (since I've purchased a number of collections recently). Anyways, there's 142 books (issues 7 to 200) and the pics I've seen are really solid (from what I've seen his grading seems pretty accurate, "7-50 would be vg to f, 50-75 would be around VF, 75 to 90 between f and vf, 90-105 vf to nm-, 106 to 122 would be f"). He's asking 3k for the 142 books, which is a bit high when you consider the average is 22/book, even though a lot of these books might be higher grade. I don't know how much I can talk this guy down, might have to see if he'd take a cash/trade for the lot.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Really interesting collection. What do you think would be fair? About, $15 a book?

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Sunday night I bought 8 short boxes. I drive to SF to the address a woman gave me. It was a super sketchy neighborhood and the door to the apartment, which was above a laundromat, was barred. It was after dark. She met me with a pit bull on the street and passed the boxes to me through the gate. She was very thin and a bit tweakish. I assumed heroin. I flipped through very quickly and found a few good books, but mostly garbage. I offered $100 and she accepted right away. Doh!

I drive home and flip through. First Venom. FF Phoenix issue. Some $20-40 underground issues (it is SF), some minor key Spider issues, first Cable, x-factor 5-6 & 24, Miller Daredevil (mostly untagged unfortunately), Star Wars 1-20, etc.

I figured I'd pull 7 boxes of garbage, but am only ditching 2. The majority I'll list as cheap runs. I'm keeping the keys.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

GGSAE wrote:
nycjadie wrote:Nice score!

Take me for a mark, lol, was she 80?

Guys, I'm asking your opinion on a great ASM collection. I've been putting a solid run of these books over the years and this would go a long way toward completing it, but I would also want to sell some of the books to off-set my costs (since I've purchased a number of collections recently). Anyways, there's 142 books (issues 7 to 200) and the pics I've seen are really solid (from what I've seen his grading seems pretty accurate, "7-50 would be vg to f, 50-75 would be around VF, 75 to 90 between f and vf, 90-105 vf to nm-, 106 to 122 would be f"). He's asking 3k for the 142 books, which is a bit high when you consider the average is 22/book, even though a lot of these books might be higher grade. I don't know how much I can talk this guy down, might have to see if he'd take a cash/trade for the lot.
I'm interested in buying some if you buy this if there are some I need.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

it would be *SQUEE* living near a large metropolitan area where bulk buys like that are readily available.. :|
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

nycjadie wrote:Really interesting collection. What do you think would be fair? About, $15 a book?
Ya that seems about right; in the back of my mind before he posted pics or conditions I had $10/book. Then I saw the books and seeing how nice they are, I figured he would be justified asking more. I don't think I would go $22 because a few of the major keys aren't there (e.g 50, 129, no books from 8-27), although the 101,100,122,121 all sound really solid. Either way, I'll have to look at it to get a better idea....who knows, they may be gone in a week (seriously doubt it though, I don't know how many people can drum up 3k in a few days notice for comics).

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

nycjadie wrote:Sunday night I bought 8 short boxes. I drive to SF to the address a woman gave me. It was a super sketchy neighborhood and the door to the apartment, which was above a laundromat, was barred. It was after dark. She met me with a pit bull on the street and passed the boxes to me through the gate. She was very thin and a bit tweakish. I assumed heroin. I flipped through very quickly and found a few good books, but mostly garbage. I offered $100 and she accepted right away. Doh!

I drive home and flip through. First Venom. FF Phoenix issue. Some $20-40 underground issues (it is SF), some minor key Spider issues, first Cable, x-factor 5-6 & 24, Miller Daredevil (mostly untagged unfortunately), Star Wars 1-20, etc.

I figured I'd pull 7 boxes of garbage, but am only ditching 2. The majority I'll list as cheap runs. I'm keeping the keys.
Great haul! I live in a pretty large area, but I don't think there's any areas of the city I would be suspect of traveling to. Good to know you didn't get robbed/rolled....maybe bring a hyena to upstage someone like her next time, lol.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

Update:

After seeing the books today I got a chance to view them in person. His books were pretty close to his grades, some a bit lower....he had a number of people view them already including one guy that paid him $300 for 66 and some other non-key! :o I'm like WTF? Other than those two he hasn't sold any, and he told me he has an offer of $2500. It's tough hearing that because I was about to offer 2k, but I came up a bit to 2200. I said, I don't know how serious that 2500 offer was, but I have the capability to pay you tomorrow....anyways we'll see, if he gets back to me in a few days I might counter to 2k knowing a few books sold. A lot of the books are very nice, but it's hard to justify shelling out big money for a collection with few keys in it (although 121 and 122 were very solid).

I don't know about you guys, but I feel it's fairly competitive here, so it's hard for me to get really good deals when there's so much competition.