Complete 4001 AD time capsule for sale on eBay

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Complete 4001 AD time capsule for sale on eBay

Post by magnusr »

ckb wrote:Did you grab that Magnus?
Surprised to say that I did. Did not expect that bid to be enough. Maybe the market will change on the 31st, but right now I must say this feels like a steal.

/Magnus

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Nice grab, Magnus! I was surprised too, but I paid $200 cash for the whole thing so did pretty well on it. I sold one of the 4001 AD variants separately for $81 + $350 on the set I am at $431 minus eBay fees. Anyway, stoked to have a set of prints left for myself, one copy of the variant comic, and a bunch of coins left to trade or help out other collectors. The catch & release turned out to be more gratifying than just holding on to this one. I got my own personal episode of American Pickers!

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

magnusr wrote:
Surprised to say that I did. Did not expect that bid to be enough. Maybe the market will change on the 31st, but right now I must say this feels like a steal.

/Magnus
I think it may end up being a shrewd buy. I am just thinking to myself... what are the chances in 10 years of getting one completely intact?

unityshadowman
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

ckb wrote:
magnusr wrote:

/Magnus
I think it may end up being a shrewd buy. I am just thinking to myself... what are the chances in 10 years of getting one completely intact?

But if I understand the auction (and OP) correctly, Magnus didn't get a completely, intact Time Capsule. It looks like OP cannibalized it. At least one of every item, including the container, was part of the auction, but not all items were part of the sale (OP kept some). Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Out of the 100-ish (final number is unknown - has Dino spilled the beans yet?) that were produced, I wonder how many are left intact, let alone unopened. I'm leaning on the odds that most have been opened (or will be opened after 8/31) and the booty will be dispersed. I believe an unopened one, give it some time, will fetch a pretty penny down the road. It's like a 9.8 CGC or an unopened toy, setting a high standard of value for a "complete" item. Dang, collecting sucks sometimes. :lol:
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Probably right, but I think the pool of candidates for an unopened one is incredibly small to an opened one.

unityshadowman
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

nycjadie wrote:Probably right, but I think the pool of candidates for an unopened one is incredibly small to an opened one.
Agreed, which makes it even more valuable and potentially unattainable. :cry:
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431

GammaJosh
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

This was my experience: once I actually had my hands on one, I saw no extra value in a complete one. It's a bunch of random promotional items thrown in a plain metal box that had a sticker slapped on the front of it. It's not like a box set where there is any special casing and a tight-fitting slot for each item. Maybe it's because I've ordered these types of promotional items for my band and assembled them into box sets like this, but my feeling was that it was just a random assortment of stuff placed in there by hand by someone at the Valiant office, and a sticker was applied to the outside. The only value I see in the unopened capsule would be the unbroken/undamaged sticker itself. The extra items to "complete" the set would only add their own intrinsic value to me, not any extra value for completeness.

I did include in my eBay listing that I still had all the other items and that I could make a deal to include those as well, but I didn't get any responses to that. The print sets and comics and coins will be available time to time on eBay or from fans, so if one gets an incomplete capsule, there is still an opportunity to complete it later.

michael
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: none
Favorite title: EW
Favorite writer: Kirkman
Favorite artist: none

Post by michael »

GammaJosh wrote:
michael wrote:I've got a sealed one & keeping for now. Opening the capsule kills the value in my opinion.
What if the comics and prints are all banged up in there though? :o Everything was packed pretty loosely in there.

In my opinion, these things only have value to a handful of us nutty collectors, and who of us wouldn't want to have it open to look at the items inside or use the box to store other stuff? Keeping it sealed seems like catering to some new future buyer/collector that may not ever exist.
True, but the more people that open the rarer mine becomes. Rarer doesn't mean more value though just rarer and possible more value.