Hi, I'm Joshua Dysart...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Joshua Dysart
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.
Re: Hi, I'm Joshua Dysart...

Post by Joshua Dysart »

MoonChild wrote:Josh, do you have any say in which cover is which with Harby? Like do you chose the regular cover variant etc? If not how do they get chosen, is it a democratic thing in the office over there? I felt the 1:20 variant of Harby 1 should have been the regular cover. It's just so iconic and pays tribute to the original. No matter, you guys usually chose well with this!
That's mostly Warren's deal, but it's also driven by market demands. Either way, it's not me who makes those choices. I sometimes throw out an idea for a cover (but rarely). Mostly, I just get the finished cover emailed to me and then I'm told what book it appears on. That's pretty much it.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Joshua Dysart wrote:
Elveen wrote:Question.

1) In a fight (no guns AND no powers)..... who is the best fighter in the book?
Nice fan-boy question!! I love it! Okay, are we talking about Harbinger? Or Harbinger Wars? I'd have to say, many of the Harbinger students are trained in combat outside of their powers. Amanda (Livewire) can kick some serious *SQUEE*, but we haven't gotten to see that yet. Obviously Hidden Moon was an exceptional Martial Artist, and that had nothing to do with his powers, but Peter did manage to get the better of him. Thing is, that fight between Hidden Moon and Peter was the first time Peter ever threw-down without his powers, and there was a brutality and dangerous clumsiness to him that allowed him to get the drop on Hidden Moon. But in a square one on one... Peter doesn't stand a chance without his powers against Hidden Moon. So now, with Hidden Moon gone, I say Amanda is the real *SQUEE* kicker.
Yeaaaaaaaaah buddy!!!!!!!!
Elveen wrote:
blujay wrote:
Elveen wrote:Question.

1) In a fight (no guns AND no powers)..... who is the best fighter in the book?
Pete looks like he's in good shape I vote for him

I'm taking Livewire.
Uncle El for the Win!!!!!! :superstar:

apainter
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by apainter »

Hi Josh,

In the original Valiant U, they tried to stay relatively "real world". All those wild adventures happened somewhere in the margins, and politics and society looked pretty much the same as our own. Even in the DC and Marvel Universes, gods and superpowers and magic and super-tech exist without changing the map.

So what about the new Valiant U? In your Syria, Bashar al-Assad has been ousted and killed (or committed a "sudden, bizarre suicide" according to a news report), something that (discounting the possibility of "memory bubbles") hasn't happened in real life. Will this have a cascading effect? Will the Valiant U starts looking less and less, politically and socially, like ours?

And regarding al-Assad specifically, he was mentioned by name in Harbinger 6, but in issue 0, he's just called "the President of Syria". His history seems to be the same as the real Bashar al-Assad, but he doesn't look much like him. Was this to avoid controversy and/or legal problems?

Art

Joshua Dysart
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by Joshua Dysart »

Mandrakk wrote: More to do about how he feels and you also describe it as an impression...Interesting,would that mean that if he somehow believes that something has no effect on him(well on his thoughtform anyhow) he would be totally unharmed and thus potentially impervious to any kind of damage ?
While a huge part of his ability to take damage is attached to his personal believe in his own psychic construction, he is not invincible. Even if he believed he were. It's a hard shell casting, but the physical world is just real. He's very, very, very tough. We've seen him jump out of a chinook and take gunfire, but these things did hurt him, it's possible his pain threshold is the very thing that could take him down permanently.
Mandrakk wrote:Or for that matter could he be damaged by merely be made to believe he is ?
Yes.
Mandrakk wrote: Also do Torque's,Animalia's,Titan's and Shadow's powers have common roots in their funtionning ?
One hundred percent correct. These are the CASTERS (people who cast hardshell images).
Mandrakk wrote:Also another more general question about Psiots:do all of them have potential for basic telepathy if they train accordingly ?
Telepathy is a cornerstone of Psiot Powers, but some are better than others. The problems with telepathy is that they open up the user to potential overflow, that is not being able to isolate one thought or even one brain. That's what we saw happening to Peter in the first few issues.
Mandrakk wrote:And one last question:Will the Renegades meet Archer and by extention the Immortal brothers before Unity ?
No comment.
Mandrakk wrote:Ah,and just for the record Harbinger War #2 was awesome,loved the Harada Protocols thing and I also find the Generation Zero's kids' reaction to the outside world interesting.
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. It's a bit of bear, writing this thing. I have a new found respect for people who pilot crossover's now. No matter how they turn out. And I have to say, decided to make each title read independently from the others in the crossover is REALLY HARD!

Glad you're feeling it.

Joshua Dysart
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by Joshua Dysart »

jmatt wrote:Just read HW #2. Tell Dino I said you deserve a raise. I don't care what they're paying you, it's not enough. :thumb: :clap:
Thanks!! I tell him! :-)

Joshua Dysart
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by Joshua Dysart »

mkb28 wrote:Hello Josh:

As all the others before me have stated, I am a big fan of your work and I look forward to each issue that you write. I live in Kansas City and while at Planet ComiCon, someone was handing out flyers stating you will be one of the guest writers at the St. Louis convention in September. Is that still your plan to be there? I would look forward to meeting you at the show.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Michael
Mkb28
I'll totally be there!! Come see me!

Joshua Dysart
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by Joshua Dysart »

lorddunlow wrote:Did you come up with all the psiot powers in the Harbinger Wars crossover books, or did other people have input?
99% are mine. One of them was Atom's idea, one of our marketing guys. The characters that were already in Bloodshot before the crossover are Duane's. Everyone else is me.

Joshua Dysart
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by Joshua Dysart »

erwinrafael wrote: Now I am gonna go read me some Hawkeye (I did read your Harbinger Wars first :p)
Hawkeye's a great book!

Joshua Dysart
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by Joshua Dysart »

R Daneel wrote:Joshua, thanks for everything you are doing with the Valiant universe. Really enjoying it!

RD
Thanks for reading it!

Joshua Dysart
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by Joshua Dysart »

apainter wrote:Hi Josh,

In the original Valiant U, they tried to stay relatively "real world". All those wild adventures happened somewhere in the margins, and politics and society looked pretty much the same as our own. Even in the DC and Marvel Universes, gods and superpowers and magic and super-tech exist without changing the map.

So what about the new Valiant U? In your Syria, Bashar al-Assad has been ousted and killed (or committed a "sudden, bizarre suicide" according to a news report), something that (discounting the possibility of "memory bubbles") hasn't happened in real life. Will this have a cascading effect? Will the Valiant U starts looking less and less, politically and socially, like ours?
Great question. It makes no sense to me that superheroes, or super powered beings could exist on earth for any length of time without drastically changing the landscape of history. Hell, just Bloodshot's self-replicating protein driven nanites could change the humanity overnight. Many great creators have played with this idea. Watchmen is a prime example. We're going to try to walk a steady path here and not go too far too fast. But yes... as the Valiant U begins to mature and its connections become stronger, I hope we can continue to show how that changes the world itself. It only makes sense.
apainter wrote:And regarding al-Assad specifically, he was mentioned by name in Harbinger 6, but in issue 0, he's just called "the President of Syria". His history seems to be the same as the real Bashar al-Assad, but he doesn't look much like him. Was this to avoid controversy and/or legal problems?
Yes.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Are we going to see a butting of heads between Christian and Clem during Harbinger Wars? They appear to be the two "team leaders" of the two Psiot camps, or at least two of the elder statesmen of the group.

Also, I love that Faith is using the oxygen tank while flying at great hights. Does this signify that not all Psiot physiology has evolved to support their abilities? I only ask because Flamingo seems resistant to her flame powers.

An finally, what is your process when creating a new character? Do you develop the personality, look or power in any particular order. Obviously the artist has a lot of say in the look, but I would guess you must have some idea of a character's look while creating them.

Loved how brutal Harada was with Saturn in order to save his own life, by the way. It showed how much more he values himself (and his goals) above anyone else.

Thanks!
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

hawkeyeps
Everybody gets some "little extras"
Everybody gets some "little extras"

Post by hawkeyeps »

Is Charlie Palmer Canadian?

Mandrakk
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Mandrakk »

Thank you for your answers Josh
Joshua Dysart wrote: While a huge part of his ability to take damage is attached to his personal believe in his own psychic construction, he is not invincible. Even if he believed he were. It's a hard shell casting, but the physical world is just real. He's very, very, very tough. We've seen him jump out of a chinook and take gunfire, but these things did hurt him, it's possible his pain threshold is the very thing that could take him down permanently.
So he still has possibilities for progress but also a limit a a big weak point,very interesting I really love that take on Torque and his abilities also I am sure the guy does have an awesome playlist.
Joshua Dysart wrote:One hundred percent correct. These are the CASTERS (people who cast hardshell images).
Hmmm...very interesting,but along those lines what kind of powers fall under the"visuospatialist" category and in which category does Ramsey's light control fall(an ability that seems rather deadly and has lots of potential BTW)
Joshua Dysart wrote:Telepathy is a cornerstone of Psiot Powers, but some are better than others. The problems with telepathy is that they open up the user to potential overflow, that is not being able to isolate one thought or even one brain. That's what we saw happening to Peter in the first few issues.

Ok thanks again for answering that.
Joshua Dysart wrote:No comment.

Oh well it was worth a try... :D
Joshua Dysart wrote:Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. It's a bit of bear, writing this thing. I have a new found respect for people who pilot crossover's now. No matter how they turn out. And I have to say, decided to make each title read independently from the others in the crossover is REALLY HARD!

Glad you're feeling it.
And just out of curiousity,does having a cowriter make it a bit easier ordoes it make the thing even harder ? Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post:the moment Harada kills Saturn to save himself is great,it shows that he will stop at nothing to reach his goal whichto him is the greater good for the whole species future,I just love that.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

Speculation deleted.

But if I'm right...wow. :D

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Burrito Boy wrote:Speculation deleted.

Dang it. I missed it. Post it somewhere else or PM me. I'm all horny for speculation now!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

lorddunlow wrote:
Burrito Boy wrote:Speculation deleted.

Dang it. I missed it. Post it somewhere else or PM me. I'm all horny for speculation now!
bow-chicha-wow-wow

Burrito Boy
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

PM sent. :thumb:

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Josh? PBR? Can or bottle?

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

jmatt wrote:Just read HW #2. Tell Dino I said you deserve a raise. I don't care what they're paying you, it's not enough. :thumb: :clap:
+1
Friggin EPIC!

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

Joshua Dysart wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:what's Torque's playlist?
I'm working on it! Don't think I don't recognize your avatar image! But not sure if Mastodon will make the cut ;-)
i saw them live twice, they are one of my favorite bands.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Brother Darque wrote:
Joshua Dysart wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:what's Torque's playlist?
I'm working on it! Don't think I don't recognize your avatar image! But not sure if Mastodon will make the cut ;-)
i saw them live twice, they are one of my favorite bands.
I really want to hear Torque's playlist. I think I would like it a lot.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Joshua Dysart wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:3. If a good pitch is a large part of things am I to believe that Quantum & Woody has a great pitch? Are they getting a type of overhaul/tweak the others have? Cause I'm not going to sugar coat this I HATED Q&W, after a few issues bailed. When it was announced the thoughts of "Sophomore Slump" went off in my head. I'm going to get issue one...maybe the first arc AND that is because of my VALIANT loyalty. Please reward my trust or let me know now if Q&W is going to read more like Deadpool ( a character I don't enjoy either). I'm not upset at female Geomancer or Dr.Mirage, the blending of VU1&Acclaim versions of Shadowman so I'm hoping here, hoping you guys are still going to reward me(us).
Ha! You know I'm just a freelance writer, right? I'm not the editor. I haven't read the book or anything. Nor do I have any idea what you will and will not like. I think James Asmus is a funny guy and I think Tom Fowler is an amazing artist. I don't know what else to tell you. You'll dig it or you won't. :-)
It was a shot in the dark. On the off chance you had head some things around "the office"(even if you guys telecomute), know what I mean. Thanks for replying!

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Joshua Dysart wrote:
99% are mine. One of them was Atom's idea, one of our marketing guys. The characters that were already in Bloodshot before the crossover are Duane's. Everyone else is me.
Which one did Atom! come up with?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
Joshua Dysart wrote:
Which one did Atom! come up with?
Whichever one has the wildest, shiniest shoes.

mp6pack
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Favorite character: Torque
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by mp6pack »

Hey Josh, Just wanting to say Im lovin the Harbinger title, and I'm glad you have made yourself available to the fans. That's a great example to other creators out there. Thanks Bro