ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Official Calendar |
It is currently Sep 21, 2019 11:18:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:30:22 pm 
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:44:48 am
Posts: 25246
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Chiclo wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:
\
You guys and gals are one of the big keys to our success

Thanks again!



Are you sure you know the demographic around here?


My wife is a registered user here.



And a co-winner of the 1st Annual Valiant Jeopardy.


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Top
  Online Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:37:34 am 
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:23:45 pm
Posts: 4642
Location: 619
Chiclo wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:
\
You guys and gals are one of the big keys to our success

Thanks again!



Are you sure you know the demographic around here?


My wife is a registered user here.



She's racking up quite the post count too...


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:35:37 am 
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:37:47 pm
Posts: 1069
Location: New Jersey
Warren Simons wrote:
SJS4 wrote:
First off thanks for doing this Q&A.

Kind of dissappointed I haven't seen Gilad/The Eternal Warrior mentioned...I know you can't say if he will get his own title but can you tell us if he is at least in the plans of the Universe?

FWIW he was always my favorite character and I really enjoyed all the different types of stories they did with him in VHI (the yearbooks and the wings special were some of my favorites).

Thanks again and good luck in 2012. I am really looking forward to buying my first new comic in over a decade next year...and I am pretty stoked that it will be a Valiant comic!



Hey SJS4, thanks for the great question. I really dig the Eternal Warrior. I think he’s got the potential to be an amazing break out star. I’ve gotten a costume redesign in from one of the best artists in the industry, and I can’t wait to share it with you.
I edited Thor and Ares over at Marvel, and while those two characters are gods, I think EW’s got a similar vibe in a lot of ways. There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes with him, and we’ve got big plans for EW. Thanks.


Very cool, cannot wait to see it!

Thanks!

_________________
Kurt Busiek wrote:
Bull$#!t


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:25:36 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 17297
SJS4 wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:
SJS4 wrote:
First off thanks for doing this Q&A.

Kind of dissappointed I haven't seen Gilad/The Eternal Warrior mentioned...I know you can't say if he will get his own title but can you tell us if he is at least in the plans of the Universe?

FWIW he was always my favorite character and I really enjoyed all the different types of stories they did with him in VHI (the yearbooks and the wings special were some of my favorites).

Thanks again and good luck in 2012. I am really looking forward to buying my first new comic in over a decade next year...and I am pretty stoked that it will be a Valiant comic!



Hey SJS4, thanks for the great question. I really dig the Eternal Warrior. I think he’s got the potential to be an amazing break out star. I’ve gotten a costume redesign in from one of the best artists in the industry, and I can’t wait to share it with you.
I edited Thor and Ares over at Marvel, and while those two characters are gods, I think EW’s got a similar vibe in a lot of ways. There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes with him, and we’ve got big plans for EW. Thanks.


Very cool, cannot wait to see it!

Thanks!


+1

_________________
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:56:26 pm 
Still afraid of Gamma
Still afraid of Gamma
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:31:03 pm
Posts: 4
Warren Simons wrote:
havok1977 wrote:
Hello Warren, thanks a lot for taking the time to do this :)

I posted this question on your facebook page a while back, but got no response... so I'm back at it, hoping you can let us know a bit more.

I wonder if the relaunch of the Valiant line will include two timelines like the original VH1 did?

I'm getting the drift that for sure X-O, the Harbinger kids, Bloodshot etc will be in present day with Gilad and Armstrong cruising around history a la Highlander.

Yet without Magnus around, having the future timeline of the year 4000 in which Rai and others ran around might be a though thing to sustain I think; can you shed any light into this?






Hey havok1977, thanks for the great question. This is one that I’m going to save for the books, however. You’ll have some answers before you know it.


Ok fair enough; Ill for sure be preordering when the time comes for my fave titles: XO, EW, and any futuristic stuff that might pop up :) Thanks again Warren


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:35:53 pm 
5318008
5318008
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:56:48 pm
Posts: 587
Location: NY
Just throwing this out there.

Bob Layton appears to be free for work.


Just saying. :thumb:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:16:33 pm 
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:33:38 pm
Posts: 37993
OmenSpirits.com wrote:
Just throwing this out there.

Bob Layton appears to be free for work.


Just saying. :thumb:


Since it has already been tried and didn't work out so well, it's probably for the best not to get involved with Bob (or Jim for that matter). It would have been a dream come true for a lot of fans had things panned out, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:15:14 am 
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:55:22 pm
Posts: 11473
Location: #Tampa Win Cup
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Daniel Jackson wrote:
OmenSpirits.com wrote:
Just throwing this out there.

Bob Layton appears to be free for work.


Just saying. :thumb:


Since it has already been tried and didn't work out so well, it's probably for the best not to get involved with Bob (or Jim for that matter). It would have been a dream come true for a lot of fans had things panned out, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.


+1

_________________
ASM AmericanCarnage #GunningForHits IceCreamMan Redneck Saga TWD


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:07:56 pm 
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:38:46 am
Posts: 14063
The ship on former Valiant craftsmen (for the most part) has sailed. I look forward to the experience of some (Frank) sailing this NEW ship but also look forward to separating the Valiant of the past with the Valiant of the future (Warren).

If we do not let go of what was, it will be an anchor keeping us grounded on Earth... looking at the stars instead of sailing among them.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:09:29 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 17297
Warren,
Could you take the cover to the first release from this launch and make it your avatar?
Thanks,



Mark

_________________
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:10:18 am 
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:37:59 am
Posts: 16168
Location: watertown, wi
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
Knightt wrote:
The ship on former Valiant craftsmen (for the most part) has sailed. I look forward to the experience of some (Frank) sailing this NEW ship but also look forward to separating the Valiant of the past with the Valiant of the future (Warren).

If we do not let go of what was, it will be an anchor keeping us grounded on Earth... looking at the stars instead of sailing among them.

Had no idea you were so poetic, chris...

_________________
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:01:45 am 
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:38:46 am
Posts: 14063
myron wrote:
Knightt wrote:
The ship on former Valiant craftsmen (for the most part) has sailed. I look forward to the experience of some (Frank) sailing this NEW ship but also look forward to separating the Valiant of the past with the Valiant of the future (Warren).

If we do not let go of what was, it will be an anchor keeping us grounded on Earth... looking at the stars instead of sailing among them.

Had no idea you were so poetic, chris...


Me neither, it almost made me lose my lunch. :roll:

I have one more class until I finish my BSoE in February.... maybe all these college classes are rubbing off after 45 years on the planet. I guess I am feeling edjumicated.

But I am just saying, whatever was in the past, well let it live in the past or we will be disappointed and very hard to please when the new Valiant books came out. We tore Shooter a new one when he was writing THREE former Valiant characters. It was kind of a dream team. So, with that said, I've met Warren, Frank and got reaquanted with Dinesh... I could feel their positive energy and motivation towards doing things, doing them the best they can, and that success is going to be very dependent on US looking at the new books with fresh 2012 eyes and leaving the old Valiant in the comic book boxes. I WANT these to succeed and if I hold the new books to the old standard, I think I will not be fair to the hard work that is currently going on and suggest others do the same.

:hope:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:04:49 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 17297
Knightt wrote:
myron wrote:
Knightt wrote:
The ship on former Valiant craftsmen (for the most part) has sailed. I look forward to the experience of some (Frank) sailing this NEW ship but also look forward to separating the Valiant of the past with the Valiant of the future (Warren).

If we do not let go of what was, it will be an anchor keeping us grounded on Earth... looking at the stars instead of sailing among them.

Had no idea you were so poetic, chris...


Me neither, it almost made me lose my lunch. :roll:

I have one more class until I finish my BSoE in February.... maybe all these college classes are rubbing off after 45 years on the planet. I guess I am feeling edjumicated.

But I am just saying, whatever was in the past, well let it live in the past or we will be disappointed and very hard to please when the new Valiant books came out. We tore Shooter a new one when he was writing THREE former Valiant characters. It was kind of a dream team. So, with that said, I've met Warren, Frank and got reaquanted with Dinesh... I could feel their positive energy and motivation towards doing things, doing them the best they can, and that success is going to be very dependent on US looking at the new books with fresh 2012 eyes and leaving the old Valiant in the comic book boxes. I WANT these to succeed and if I hold the new books to the old standard, I think I will not be fair to the hard work that is currently going on and suggest others do the same.

:hope:


Sounds like good advice. :thumb:

_________________
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:07:49 am 
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:26:40 pm
Posts: 2706
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH
How very, very true.

I loved the original universe. I was 50/50 on the second universe. What little I've seen here, though, looks like it's going to be spectacular.

I would do illegal things to acquire another Bob Hall run on Shadowman - but I also have to recognize that there are other artists and writers who might be able to give that book a new voice that feels as true as Bob's.

Hopefully, once I'm done writing other things, I might be one of those people. Which leads me to *my* question for Warren:

How do freelancers send in copies of their work for consideration on future projects? :D


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:19:12 am 
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34:06 pm
Posts: 3865
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Byrneout wrote:
How very, very true.

I loved the original universe. I was 50/50 on the second universe. What little I've seen here, though, looks like it's going to be spectacular.

I would do illegal things to acquire another Bob Hall run on Shadowman - but I also have to recognize that there are other artists and writers who might be able to give that book a new voice that feels as true as Bob's.

Hopefully, once I'm done writing other things, I might be one of those people. Which leads me to *my* question for Warren:

How do freelancers send in copies of their work for consideration on future projects? :D


I don't know how loving the first universe I was. We all tend to place it on a pedestal, but forget much of how the universe went. Shadowman was great start to finish. Archer and Armstrong began as my fave, then became a mess, then painful. SOLAR had peaks and valleys of greatness through much of its run. Same with Magnus - perhaps at its worst just after (and to some extent during) Unity.

Eternal Warrior wasn't my fave when it came out, but has held up well.

Psi-Lords, Geomancer, Dr. Mirage, and Timewalker were all relatively low points in the Valiant Universe.

Acclaim was strangely uneven. Sometimes I wonder how it didn't succeed, and other times wonder how it lasted as long as it did. Shadowman got better as it went. The last six issues were pretty darned fantastic. Armorines may have been better the second time around. Quantum and Woody was excellent through. Bloodshot may have been equivalent to its previous incantation. Trinity Angels? Ninjak? Bleach. And so on.

Of course, the Dark Horse re-launch was train-wrecky through and through. But I can remember mixed thoughts. I hated Samson, but some found greatness.

What the heck is the point of this rambling?

I'm prepared to keep an open mind. I'll judge when I see them - probably too harshly. I can't see these books as being the greatest things ever published - but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

At the core of this - these characters have been silent - or at lest pretty darned quiet - since 1999/2000. That's longer than the entire line was in existence for. This could be five years ago when the line was dormant. For that, I am grateful.

_________________
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com


If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:35:56 pm 
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:06:22 pm
Posts: 8232
Location: Hiding in the fetal position
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS
Knightt wrote:
The ship on former Valiant craftsmen (for the most part) has sailed. I look forward to the experience of some (Frank) sailing this NEW ship but also look forward to separating the Valiant of the past with the Valiant of the future (Warren).

If we do not let go of what was, it will be an anchor keeping us grounded on Earth... looking at the stars instead of sailing among them.


Well said. Have you been reading philosophy books lately? :P


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:58:33 pm 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 17297
How many stories will the Valiant 2012 FCBD issue contain?

_________________
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:28:48 pm 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:49:04 am
Posts: 1779
dave wrote:
Knightt wrote:
The ship on former Valiant craftsmen (for the most part) has sailed. I look forward to the experience of some (Frank) sailing this NEW ship but also look forward to separating the Valiant of the past with the Valiant of the future (Warren).

If we do not let go of what was, it will be an anchor keeping us grounded on Earth... looking at the stars instead of sailing among them.


Well said. Have you been reading philosophy books lately? :P


Dave,

Your eyes look a little glazed. Have you been eating donuts?

:P :P :P


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:50:26 am 
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:39:01 am
Posts: 9260
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Questions to Warren:

DC have recently relaunched, and while their characters still have super-powers, their actions seem less than heroic at times. Worse still the gratuitous sex and violence dials have been cranked up in some (many?) of their titles as they apparently reach for a 17-34 demographic in the manner they (DC) feel they will be able grab it; in that vein do you guys have a tone in mind for the VALIANT titles across the line?

Do you feel there is a line to be drawn between heroic action in comic books and increasingly visceral violence (and now sex) in the mainstream of the superhero genre in the comic book medium?

Have these kind of considerations informed plans for the VALIANT relaunch?

Thanks (hopefully) for your time. Leon.

_________________
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:07:54 pm 
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:06:38 pm
Posts: 6351
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...
leonmallett wrote:
Questions to Warren:

DC have recently relaunched, and while their characters still have super-powers, their actions seem less than heroic at times. Worse still the gratuitous sex and violence dials have been cranked up in some (many?) of their titles as they apparently reach for a 17-34 demographic in the manner they (DC) feel they will be able grab it; in that vein do you guys have a tone in mind for the VALIANT titles across the line?

Do you feel there is a line to be drawn between heroic action in comic books and increasingly visceral violence (and now sex) in the mainstream of the superhero genre in the comic book medium?

Have these kind of considerations informed plans for the VALIANT relaunch?

Thanks (hopefully) for your time. Leon.


Great question!!
IMHO, comics should be for age 10+... The reason I stopped buying new books was that my young boys wanted to know why there were 2 girls in their underwear sleeping together :| That was one of the first 52 books.. it was the last straw for me. :mad:

I hope that Valiant will market as much as possible to all ages... or nearly all ages. Not sure what sex does for a comic other than turning it into soft porn. M2C...


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:00:07 am 
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:49:05 pm
Posts: 17297
IanAlexavier wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Questions to Warren:

DC have recently relaunched, and while their characters still have super-powers, their actions seem less than heroic at times. Worse still the gratuitous sex and violence dials have been cranked up in some (many?) of their titles as they apparently reach for a 17-34 demographic in the manner they (DC) feel they will be able grab it; in that vein do you guys have a tone in mind for the VALIANT titles across the line?

Do you feel there is a line to be drawn between heroic action in comic books and increasingly visceral violence (and now sex) in the mainstream of the superhero genre in the comic book medium?

Have these kind of considerations informed plans for the VALIANT relaunch?

Thanks (hopefully) for your time. Leon.


Great question!!
IMHO, comics should be for age 10+... The reason I stopped buying new books was that my young boys wanted to know why there were 2 girls in their underwear sleeping together :| That was one of the first 52 books.. it was the last straw for me. :mad:

I hope that Valiant will market as much as possible to all ages... or nearly all ages. Not sure what sex does for a comic other than turning it into soft porn. M2C...


I'm all with you guys on this.

_________________
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:24:31 pm 
banned on my iphone
banned on my iphone
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:39:16 pm
Posts: 2187
Location: What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about??
Chiclo wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:
\
You guys and gals are one of the big keys to our success

Thanks again!



Are you sure you know the demographic around here?


My wife is a registered user here.


Jedimarley acts like a girl sometimes :?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:55:21 pm 
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:44:29 pm
Posts: 16063
chainnball wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:
\
You guys and gals are one of the big keys to our success

Thanks again!



Are you sure you know the demographic around here?


My wife is a registered user here.


Jedimarley acts like a girl sometimes :?

You b!tch. :roll:


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:55:29 pm 
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:34:56 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: North Carolina
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre
My aplogies, if this has already been asked but, Warren, will Archer & Armstrong #7-12 ever be collected in Hc form?? Better yet, Valiant could just by pass that, and release a Absolute Edition with #0-12, and a whole bunch of extra goodies, like early sketches and character designs by BWS.

_________________
#StayValiant


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:01:56 am 
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:47:41 pm
Posts: 7318
Location: Here
agent_graves wrote:
My aplogies, if this has already been asked but, Warren, will Archer & Armstrong #7-12 ever be collected in Hc form?? Better yet, Valiant could just by pass that, and release a Absolute Edition with #0-12, and a whole bunch of extra goodies, like early sketches and character designs by BWS.

Be kind of hard to reprint those issues with Solar - Magnus in them as they no longer hold the publishing rights

_________________
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group