OUR Questions for Valiant's Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWERS

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Re: OUR Questions for Warren Simons

Post by BruceReville »

Warren Simons wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:
BruceReville wrote:

According to a previous interview it will be a New Valiant Universe - I posted a link to this interview so we can come up with some new questions and not just rehash ones already asked.

I want to know if Acclaim character Joshua Fireseed can be used in the new Valiant as he is not a Gold Key character. :hm:
Hey, Bruce, thank you for the assist with the previous question. While Joshua Fireseed is indeed a great character, we are currently concentrating on the big guns in the Valiant Universe.
Totally understand concentrating on the big characters first, but will there ever be a chance of him appearing ever or is there a legal matter with this character and he will never appear?

Hey Bruce,

I don’t want to get into any particulars about which characters we are using until we solicit the titles. Thanks for your patience.
No Thank You for bringing these characters back.

However real quick yes or no about characters. Will VEI be introducing NEW characters in the future?
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

davidb
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: OUR Questions for Valiant's Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWE

Post by davidb »

Warren, thanks again for doing this. I just had a couple of quick questions about older material:

Has there been any discussion about reprinting more old material like the hardcovers? I'd love to see Shadowman and Eternal Warrior get the same treatment as Archer & Armstrong, Harbinger, and X-O.

Along that line, do you think it would be possible to see some of the never-released books published in perhaps a trade paperback? I'd love to finally see stories such as the end of Unity 2000 (I believe that issues 4 & 5 were completed), the Acclaim Dr. Mirage, or more of the original Valiant material that was shelved in Birthquake (Secret Weapons 22 is a prime example).
This post has been approved by the Harbinger Foundation.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

davidb wrote:Warren, thanks again for doing this. I just had a couple of quick questions about older material:

Has there been any discussion about reprinting more old material like the hardcovers? I'd love to see Shadowman and Eternal Warrior get the same treatment as Archer & Armstrong, Harbinger, and X-O.
Great question! A Shadowman hardcover, with Bob Hall contributing issue #44 as new content, would please me to no end!
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor
Re: OUR Questions for Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWERS

Post by Warren Simons »

Blood of Heroes wrote:Warren,

On what did you spend your poker game winnings? New boat? Down payment on a vacation home? Inquiring minds want to know.

Regards,

Greg

ESPN is broadcasting the final table of the World Series of Poker this week, with a paltry $8,700,000 million going to the winner. If those guys wanted some real action, they'd know where to head, am I right?

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

Elveen wrote:Hey Warren, 2 questions (for now :D ),

#1) I think one the very cool things about early Valiant was the cards, coupons, and send away books. What plans do you guys have in this area?

#2) How important do you think it is to have a Unity type crossover somewhat in the beginning?

Thanks, (and you know I would have taken ALL your $$$ at the poker night if we were on the same table. 8-) )

Christian

Hey Christian,

I am sure that if we were at the same table, you would have taken all of my money and won the tournament. Unfortunately, you were not at my table, and I had to win the poker tournament all by myself. Well, there's always next year ;)

Anyway, thanks for the awesome questions. I agree that Valiant was very innovative and unique in its early years with these types of offerings. While the market has changed a great deal since those days, we are indeed planning on rewarding our fans. It's a little too early to get into that just yet, but it's something we're definitely thinking about!

As for crossovers: We're currently focused on highlighting the strengths of the characters, and reintroducing them to both old and new readers alike, and it will be easier to accomplish this outside of the parameters of a crossover. While a great crossover like Civil War can be a lot of fun, our immediate goal is to show why these characters can stand on their own. Crossovers in time, not just yet.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

StarBrand wrote:Warren,
Which part of 2012 can we expect the first new Valiant books? Thanks!

Mark

Hey, Mark,

They will be available within the first 12 months of 2012 ;)

Hang tight - there will be news before you know it. Thanks again for your patience.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

Heath wrote:Regarding the digital/paper comics discussion...

Typically speaking, how much of the cover price of a printed comic covers the actual cost for printing that comic?

I know there are costs tied up in digital distribution as well (servers, storage, bandwidth, etc - which I'm sure is all outsourced just like the physical printing is). How does that compare to the cost of printing?

The reason I'm curious is because I am completely in favor of digital distribution of comics. It took me a long time to come around to that, but I'm there now. I would happily sign up for a subscription to a digital comic series. (As far as I know, nobody offers a digital subscription service.)

The problem right now, however, is the cost. I think the current typical price of digital comics is way too high. If I'm going to have to pay $3-$4 for a comic, I want the dead tree version. For that kind of money, I want something tangible. I just can't see paying more than 1/2 the dead tree cover price for a digital comic. Really, I'd have a hard time paying more than $1 for a regular digital comic. But realizing that with the move from print to digital, you're merely exchanging one set of expenses for another, I don't know if digital distribution can be done at a price that I'd be happy with. I don't know if it is economically feasible for you, but if you could offer a digital subscription service for ~$1 per issue, then sign me up!

Hey Heath,

I don't want to delve too far into the business-side of things, but I completely understand what you're saying. Comics are still fairly expensive to produce. Every page (usually) requires work from five separate disciplines: writers, pencilers, inkers, colorists, and letterers. And that's just on the freelance side of things. I myself demanded a computer made of 16kt gold, which created all sorts of problems for my bosses.

So producing comics still takes a great deal of time and energy and some money, even before you get into the printing side of things.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

Crow331 wrote:
ckb wrote:
How do you like working for "the children"? :P
:lol: :thumb:

Thanks Warren! I am soooooooooooo excited after reading this thread. I almost never go to the comic book shop anymore and can practically count on one hand the number of titles I have read in the past decade: Daredevil, The Rocketeer (IDW), Green Hornet (Dynamite), and the DHGK line. These Valiant books are going are to bring me back to comics ... at least to Valiant and maybe Daredevil too. Don't let me down!!!

Thanks, Crow331. That is great to hear. I am working 24/7 at this point, and we will do our best not to let you down!!!

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

iwantvaliantcomics wrote:Warren,

We've seen recently how a poor shipping schedule can kill a comic book line. Is getting the books out on time a priority for Valiant? What comprises get made to make sure a book comes out on time? And what's being done to make sure compromises don't have to made?

Thanks for taking our questions! I cannot wait 'till new Valiant books come out.

-Joshua

Hey Joshua,

A poor shipping schedule can indeed kill a comic book line - there's no doubt about that. Along with creating great stories, shipping the books on time is the most important thing to us right now. Our freelancers know we have little margin of error in this regard. And we will definitely aim to do so without compromising the quality of the titles.

It's important to remember that we're creating about 22 pages of new content every 28 days. And while most of my freelancers are extraordinary pros who put their hearts into the pages, life happens. People get sick, fall behind, get stuck on certain scenes, or slam a hand in the car door. Our goal is to ship every issue on time, unquestionably. Our creators know how critical this is to our success. Thank you for the great question!

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

caxiotis wrote:Warren,

would you send me free comics of everything you plan on publishing? :wink:

Also, I currently like the way you guys has been interacting with fans with contests via facebook. Are there plans to continually interact the fans who love VALIANT? and in what ways?

Caxiotis, if I win the lottery, you got it. Or first place in the World Series of Poker. Until then...

And I appreciate the kind words. We are going to continue to interact with the fans in a bunch of different ways: across all forms of social media, at conventions, and in letters columns, to name a few. We value our fans! You guys are the lifeblood of Valiant. You are our nannies. Thanks!

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Warren Simons wrote:

Mark

Hey, Mark,

Hang tight - there will be news before you know it. Thanks again for your patience.
:lol:

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

FormerReader wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:

Mark

Hey, Mark,

:lol:
ditto. Had to read again in the quote to get it.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

Triumphant Serial Number wrote:Hello Mr. Simons,

I'll try to ask a question you can shed light on (as opposed to titles and dates and talent, which we understand to be coming in due time).

How big or small do you anticipate the actual VEI production offices being?

Meaning, will there be such a thing as 'knob row', i.e. a bullpen/art dept/corrections/ etc?

Or in the modern age of comics, is there no need for such a thing as art files are sent electronically from the artist to the colorist to the letterer to the home office, and any corrections or issues are handled in photoshop by whichever party has the file . . .

Is it possible to just have a skeleton crew?

thanks,

TSN

I currently am working with a number of super talented freelancers who work from their homes. As we publish more titles, however, we will likely see a return of Knob Row.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

bribri wrote:Warren,

What is the average airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Thanks.

A la-dee-dee, a 1-2-3…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrsqGal64w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

havok1977 wrote:Hello Warren, thanks a lot for taking the time to do this :)

I posted this question on your facebook page a while back, but got no response... so I'm back at it, hoping you can let us know a bit more.

I wonder if the relaunch of the Valiant line will include two timelines like the original VH1 did?

I'm getting the drift that for sure X-O, the Harbinger kids, Bloodshot etc will be in present day with Gilad and Armstrong cruising around history a la Highlander.

Yet without Magnus around, having the future timeline of the year 4000 in which Rai and others ran around might be a though thing to sustain I think; can you shed any light into this?

Hey havok1977, thanks for the great question. This is one that I’m going to save for the books, however. You’ll have some answers before you know it.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

SJS4 wrote:First off thanks for doing this Q&A.

Kind of dissappointed I haven't seen Gilad/The Eternal Warrior mentioned...I know you can't say if he will get his own title but can you tell us if he is at least in the plans of the Universe?

FWIW he was always my favorite character and I really enjoyed all the different types of stories they did with him in VHI (the yearbooks and the wings special were some of my favorites).

Thanks again and good luck in 2012. I am really looking forward to buying my first new comic in over a decade next year...and I am pretty stoked that it will be a Valiant comic!

Hey SJS4, thanks for the great question. I really dig the Eternal Warrior. I think he’s got the potential to be an amazing break out star. I’ve gotten a costume redesign in from one of the best artists in the industry, and I can’t wait to share it with you.
I edited Thor and Ares over at Marvel, and while those two characters are gods, I think EW’s got a similar vibe in a lot of ways. There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes with him, and we’ve got big plans for EW. Thanks.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

Hey, Bruce -- yes. There will be new characters introduced, absolutely.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Warren Simons wrote:Hey, Bruce -- yes. There will be new characters introduced, absolutely.
:clap:
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

davidb wrote:Warren, thanks again for doing this. I just had a couple of quick questions about older material:

Along that line, do you think it would be possible to see some of the never-released books published in perhaps a trade paperback? I'd love to finally see stories such as the end of Unity 2000 (I believe that issues 4 & 5 were completed), the Acclaim Dr. Mirage, or more of the original Valiant material that was shelved in Birthquake (Secret Weapons 22 is a prime example).

Hey davidb,

We’ve had a lot of discussions up here about the old material. There’s some great stuff there, and we definitely know that the fans are clamoring for it. I am sure that you will see plenty of our back-catalogue in time.

Thanks!

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

Valiantfans: thanks for all of the great questions. As you can imagine, I’m a bit underwater with all of the great stuff we’re cooking up in the offices. I’m going to take a step away from the Q & A for now, but will check back in soon.

You guys and gals are one of the big keys to our success, and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you hanging in there while we get everything prepped and ready to go.

Thanks again!

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Warren Simons wrote:Valiantfans: thanks for all of the great questions. As you can imagine, I’m a bit underwater with all of the great stuff we’re cooking up in the offices. I’m going to take a step away from the Q & A for now, but will check back in soon.

You guys and gals are one of the big keys to our success, and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you hanging in there while we get everything prepped and ready to go.

Thanks again!

Thanks Warren. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Warren Simons wrote:

Mark

Hey, Mark,

As Bruce said, thank YOU!
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Warren Simons wrote:\
You guys and gals are one of the big keys to our success

Thanks again!

Are you sure you know the demographic around here?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:\
You guys and gals are one of the big keys to our success

Thanks again!

Are you sure you know the demographic around here?
My wife is a registered user here.