Bragging rights - your best deal of late?

Quick access to important topics since 2004

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Bragging rights - your best deal of late?

Post by nycjadie »

Super cool piece of art. Well done. Definitely worth keeping if you do not need to flip it! It will definitely increase in value.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:53:46 pm Super cool piece of art. Well done. Definitely worth keeping if you do not need to flip it! It will definitely increase in value.
Thank you brother, I appreciate that.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Picked this one up recently for what I consider to be a steal....

This is a great grab for me. I loved, loved, loved Mike Ryan's work on Iron Man vol 3. And at the time the introduction of Temugin - the Mandarin's son was actually met with applause as a great way to get the Mandarin back onto the page and into relevancy. I remember reading this book the Wednesday it came out and I loved this confrontation. And although I've cobbled together some other examples of Ryan's work on Iron Man vol 3, I never imagined I'd come across these two pages on the market.

I've managed to grab a number of pieces of original art over this last year or so, but this 2-page splash is going to have a special place in my PC very likely for some time.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

:thumb: I know how much you like Iron Man!

CGC has been posting some fans rooms on its FB page. It’s really fun to see other people’s collections. And how they live with them.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:32:14 pm :thumb: I know how much you like Iron Man!

CGC has been posting some fans rooms on its FB page. It’s really fun to see other people’s collections. And how they live with them.
Thank you, brother....

I'll have to check out the thread there. Nowadays the majority of my stuff is in one of two configurations - kept on a uniform and modular display in my photography "studio" for this "Wave 1 Collectibles" thing I'm doing; or otherwise I have a storage unit I rented that could practically be a brick and mortal comic store at this point. :lol:

I've gotten away from the "basement collection" or the "spare bedroom collection". My thing nowadays is to keep displays modular and rotate items instead of trying to display as much as possible.

Juki
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Adam Gorham

Post by Juki »

Has anyone else noticed great deals on rarer desirable earlier (2012-2018) VEI Variant Comics including keys? I guess the forced DMG takeover (causing initial loss of leadership and creators), the one and done Valiant Cinematic Universe with COVID Bloodshot’s lack of success, and the slow death since then of the current Valiant Comics Universe with loss of nearly all remaining core creative talent and employees HAS TAKEN A GREAT TOLL on earlier VEI prices. But, if you collect the VEI comics from 2012-2018 I think it is a great time to buy. I’m not a speculator… just a fan of the Valiant characters. So, although I was hoping for a greater future success for Valiant in comics and on the screen, I just collect what I like with Valiants. And, current circumstances are making that easier. I have recently found several VEI Variants, that were previously unattainable for me, at great prices.

This is really starting to feel like the decade drought (2002-2012) when 90s Valiant went under and their comic values plummeted. How much longer can current Valiant comics hang on by publishing a comic a month? If, and when, they go under in the near future will prices get even more ridiculous?

I’m still looking for some things. But, wow… I have scratched a lot of names off the list as of late.

How about everyone else? Anyone else still looking and buying?

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

All Valant is down. It’s a drought when other stuff is sky high.

I honestly have not really collected much in two years and I even stopped looking. Not a lot out there of interest. My passion is diminished due to the lack of new books and other collectors, I think this is the most passive I’ve been in over 10-12 years.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:51:52 pm All Valant is down. It’s a drought when other stuff is sky high.

I honestly have not really collected much in two years and I even stopped looking. Not a lot out there of interest. My passion is diminished due to the lack of new books and other collectors, I think this is the most passive I’ve been in over 10-12 years.
This is very similar to where I'm at with things. The last few posts above might not seem like it, but I'm there with you in many ways as well. I think there is a coalescence of circumstances for this. I'd say that I first speculated that the entire hobby was in for a significant downturn in "interest" and "spending" with the collectibles-madness during the pandemic.

You don't have an explosion like that without a drawdown afterwards. I was selling books like Hulk 181, JIM 83, Batman Adventures 12, X-Men 266, Nova and more to people during that time as if 4-figure comic book transactions were just something everybody did routinely. People were buying Impel Marvel sets for 300 bucks and small-item sales were routine.

You can't have a massive period like that without the buying curving down significantly after that. Whether the curve down takes a year and a half or it's a precipitous drop, either way the bottom is the kind of bottom where people just aren't transacting. And I think a big part of that is that people bought during the mania and are in so deep on the stuff they bought that we are going to see long holding periods before people are trading again routinely. So basically our market is not only down to the die-hards right now, but it's down to the die-hards who probably aren't in a position to buy big books as a regular thing for a while.

And so I think these things affect the entire hobby - first through the wider market sales and then even by proxy through diminished interest. Add to that the kind of content that publishers have been putting out and the only people not burnt out by it are the mouthy SJW's who clearly weren't supporting the hobby or paying to read the books in the first place.