Comic Room Cleanup - A Work in Process

Non-VALIANT items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question
Re: Anyone want this stuff before ebay, donation, dump?

Post by Draco »

Burrito Boy wrote:
400yrs wrote: I'm trying to wrap up getting a few short boxes sent out and then I have a few more people to get back to. :oops: I'll get back to everyone and see if they still want stuff they requested (what's left anyway). It's just going to take a bit. This is a bit hectic, but at least the books aren't wasted and used for package filler like the bloodshot and X-O 0s I have :twisted: .
I still want the stuff I requested. Except those Amethyst Princess of Gemworld comics I asked for. That was just a joke. Yeah, that's the ticket. :lol:

Damn, I think I just outed myself. :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude, i only need about three issues and a couple of price variants.
It was a cool little series for sure and i wont back down.

:D

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

The original post in the thread is still off the table for the time being as the list isn't correct still. Chiclo and mrc, I'll circle back with you guys eventually. I think everyone else should've received their stuff by now except for burrito boy who should get it this week probably (it's in the mail).

Just got done (for the night) assembling another shelf and started the process of transfering books from long boxes to short boxes. It's slowly getting to where I want it to be. Very slowly. My goal is to be able to get all my stuff into short boxes on shelves and clean up the room so that my wife can use half of the space to set up a scrapbooking work area.

The shelves are awesome. They are the $100 Perfect Home commercial grade 6 shelf units measuring 48x18x72. I just added my third and final unit. They are pricey but absolutely worth it. They fit 30 short boxes each perfectly. Each shelf supposedly can hold 600lbs. I don't know about that, but they are definitely super strong.

I had those $40-50 plastic workforce shelves for my long boxes before. Although I didn't have any major problems, they bowed a bit even though I always tried not to load them too much. They only fit 12 long boxes anyway. These are going in my garage and my shed so they won't go to waste.

I've transfered all my books over to short boxes except for my Valiant and Acclaim commons and my DC books. So far I have 42 Marvel shorts, 7 Image, 4 pre-unity variants and last issues, 2 Vertigo, 5 Dark Horse & Other and another 6 of random $.12 and $.20 cover price stuff and other older items.

This doesn't include the 6 or so long boxes of stuff that I have sitting in there to finish sorting to get rid of. I've found that I like using both Mile High and Mycomicshop to sell (MH) and trade (MCS) some of this stuff. I've been able to get $0.25 to $2 for some stuff that I know I couldn't get pennies for anywhere else.

Now the problem is that I have a ton of empty long boxes all over the place taking up space. I guess I'll break them down and continue to use them for cardboard sandwich shipping. Hate to do that with newer ones though.

In the end, it looks like I'm going to end up with about 85 shorts to keep. That's still way too many, but it's alot better than even a few weeks ago. The room is still a complete mess and I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, but I think there might be a light in there somewhere.

I think I'm going to retire for the evening. WEC is over and the Extenze commercials have began. Did you know they make Extenze for Women? :?

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

I just got through going through a similar purge, so I feel your pain!

When you start getting close to done though, you'll feel a huge satisfaction! Then you'll start accumulating even more to fill in all the space you just made! :lol:

I haven't sold to Mile High, but MyComicShop's buy/trade program has been a lifesaver too!

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

turborip wrote: I haven't sold to Mile High, but MyComicShop's buy/trade program has been a lifesaver too!
Absolutely. I sent them a little less than a short box for $100 in store credit and was able to get 41 books to finish off my Groo run, Giffen Justice Leagues, ASM (only need a #3 now :) ), and filling in a bunch of other items I wanted.

They bumped my grades down a bit (which was fine because I was a bit liberal on some anyway) and their grading left something to be desired (NM JL books were more like VF, etc). But trading stuff that I don't want for stuff that I really wanted was awesome.

I've now got my wife's side of the room ready to rock and all my longs into short boxes and all the boxes shelved.

Stuff left to deal with:
- 7.5 long boxes of similar stuff to sort through to sell, trade or scrap.
- 21 empty long boxes still to either break down or dump stacked in 3 piles 7 high to the ceiling taking up space. I can't use these as is for shipping because they don't fit in the parcel drop at the PO. I won't drop them inside because I'm pretty certain they'll give me a hassle about the media mail thing.
- Need to find a nice desk for my wife for her scrapbooking stuff.
- Need to continue to thin out my boxes in a few months. Eventually, I'd like to have no more than 60 boxes so that I can use the shelves for other things.

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

400yrs wrote:
turborip wrote: I haven't sold to Mile High, but MyComicShop's buy/trade program has been a lifesaver too!
Absolutely. I sent them a little less than a short box for $100 in store credit and was able to get 41 books to finish off my Groo run, Giffen Justice Leagues, ASM (only need a #3 now :) ), and filling in a bunch of other items I wanted.

They bumped my grades down a bit (which was fine because I was a bit liberal on some anyway) and their grading left something to be desired (NM JL books were more like VF, etc). But trading stuff that I don't want for stuff that I really wanted was awesome.
The trick I learned was to save myself some dollars and order lesser grade stuff. I almost always get items in better shape than I anticipated.

Unless you absolutely need it NM, that's the ticket as far as I'm concerned. I just never go beyond Fine.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

turborip wrote: The trick I learned was to save myself some dollars and order lesser grade stuff. I almost always get items in better shape than I anticipated.

Unless you absolutely need it NM, that's the ticket as far as I'm concerned. I just never go beyond Fine.
I think you are right about that. I ordered a "Fine" gn for alot cheaper than the "NM" one. It came in and it was perfect. :?

I'll probably stick to the lesser grades unless it's for certain runs.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez
Re: Anyone want this stuff before ebay, donation, dump?

Post by Burrito Boy »

Draco wrote:
Burrito Boy wrote: I still want the stuff I requested. Except those Amethyst Princess of Gemworld comics I asked for. That was just a joke. Yeah, that's the ticket. :lol:

Damn, I think I just outed myself. :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude, i only need about three issues and a couple of price variants.
It was a cool little series for sure and i wont back down.

:D
You like Amethyst? That is so gay. :D

Seriously, though, it is a great comic. Especially the maxi-series. I think the quality of the writing dropped off when they made it a regular series. Even with the original writers but especially when the new team came on. Same thing goes for the art. You can't replace Ernie Colon with just anybody.

I need more than just three issues, myself. Including issue 12 of 12 from the maxi-series. :!:

I had no idea about the price variants. But then I'm not much of a collector. Which you can tell by the condition some of my Amethysts are in. Maybe I'll replace them someday. But for now all I care about is pretending that I'm adopted and going to the Gemworld. :lol: