I guess it is about time I do this...lol!

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

k_c_collectibles
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!
I guess it is about time I do this...lol!

Post by k_c_collectibles »

Hello,

My name is Chris and I am a comic addict! :D

I first started collecting comics back in the early 80's. We did not have a comic shop near us so I picked up whatever books I could from the local supermarket and the corner newsroom. I quickly decided that I liked the DC books MUCH more than the Marvel ones. They did not have any independent books so I was pretty much limited to just the big two.

I loved reading the usually good stories in Justice League (all the variations - JLA, JLE, JLI, Extreme Justice) along with Green Lantern, Aquaman (Peter David is frickin' AWESOME - I wish he did a Valiant book...), Flash along with my favorite JLAers Blue Beetle and Booster Gold - Bwaah, haaa, haa!

Fast forward to college and tight budgets in the late 80s and my collecting pretty much stopped except for the occasional book. Then I started again full bore in I believe 1990. I had a decent job and proceeded to filling in the massive holes in my collection! As I was in the process of doing this the owner of the LCS that I frequented tried to get me in on the ground floor of Valiant. He was a HUGE Jim Shooter fan, but I wanted nothing to do with it at the time... DOH!

Fast forward to Bloodshot #1. The LCS owner gave me a FREE copy to see if I liked it. No strings attached! He did not do this for everyone... keep in mind that my pull list at the time was about 15 books a month plus an additional $100 in back issues as I had started buying some older Green Lantern, Flash and JLA books.

I was hooked! I added Bloodshot to my pull list along with all the other Valiant books. I added the less expensive option back issues to my collection as well, but unfortunately there were not too many of them...lol!

I stayed the course until the Valiant line ended. I only picked up an occasional Acclaim book. I pretty much stopped collecting books at that time because my son was born and I had new priorities for my disposable income. It wasn't really disposable anymore... :D

Later when I was better off financially I started to fill in the holes in my Valiant collection on ebay. I start selling books on ebay as well to help finance the holes in my collection. I found Greg's site WELL before the message boards and conversed with him on a fairly regular basis. After the message board was added - POW! LOTS of people to talk to about my love of Valiant books!!!

That is pretty much it in a nut shell. Well, a big nut shell...lol!
Chris
Hundreds of Valiant and Acclaim comics for GREAT prices! http://www.webstore.com/shop.php?user_id=96791

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome to the boards... er wait you're not new. About time you posted your story mister.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Great story Chris :thumb:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Noob...

:lol:

Great story, Chris!!! :thumb:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Nice, Chris.

It seems like many of us had some starts and stops when we were younger but have been pretty steady with our collecting as we get older. Wonder why that is?

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Money?

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Might be something to that, although I had the money to buy a few comics in high school and college. I just spent it on other things. You can probably guess what that was all about.

:thumb:

I had been out of college for a couple of year when I dragged my old collection down from my mom's attic. Pretty much been at it ever since, and that was right around the time Valiant first appeared.

I actually had to quit collecting Valiants around the last year of VH1 since I moved to a city where no nearby shop carried those.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

I stopped collecting about 8yrs ago. Nothing interested me.

Lates year I was ready to sell everything...Then I met you guys and now I'm back into it :thumb:
(though my wife would give you the other finger)

So, money was never a issue with me either, just no interest.