Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino
My weird, rambling Valiant Story

Post by Aztek »

Just joined and thought I would share my Valiant story. (Sorry for the rambling mess that will follow)

I've been reading mostly DC for the past 10 or 12 years intermittently. I lived in Puerto Rico and didn't know of any comic book stores, so I'd only buy trades from Borders (RIP). When I finally found a comic book store, the employees weren't really helpful and treated me horribly, so I stopped going. So I kept buying trades, but wasn't really following the medium.

Fast forward to two years ago, I moved to Houston and I found a great comic book store, started picking up a few monthly comics, and was excited at first, but then noticed I was getting tired of DC, started finding them formulaic and my love for the medium was waning. Instead of going to comic book store weekly, I started going bi weekly, then monthly, and then I stopped all together. I'd go to Reddit to see what was going on, but nothing pumped me to start going regularly to the comic book store.

DC Rebirth came along with all the hype, I started picking up a few comics, but that ended quickly. I downloaded comixology because I saw there were a lot of weekly deals, plus I didn't have a lot of space in my apartment for physical copies. While studying for the Texas Bar, I decided to get the Unlimited free trial and saw Valiant High. Read it, didn't really capture my interest, but I thought to give it a chance. Read the first 3 volumes of Man-o-War and thought "This is really good". Read Harbinger and Bloodshot and those 2 won me over. Read until Harbinger Wars and now I'm hooked. Kicked myself for waiting so long to read them. The stories, the art, the pacing, everything is great.
Now, I'm waiting for pay day to go and leave my whole check at the comic book store because they're too good to only be read digitally.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: My weird, rambling Valiant Story

Post by greg »

Welcome to the board! :high-five:

Your story is one of my favorite, but it's only happening a few people at a time... long-time readers of Marvel and DC who discover Valiant and love it.

Any suggestions about what might work on the others who are still stuck in the Marvel and DC rut? What do you think might have helped you find Valiant sooner?

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Aztek wrote:...Now, I'm waiting for pay day to go and leave my whole check at the comic book store because they're too good to only be read digitally.
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Yep, you belong here! Welcome to the pages, you'll get a great deal of conversation regarding your favorites! Also, don't be afraid to get involved, lots and lots to talk about!

Hope to see you around, Houston has a good handful of great comic book stores! Good luck on the Bar!
Moose

Aztek
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Valiant fan since: 2017
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by Aztek »

greg wrote:Welcome to the board! :high-five:

Your story is one of my favorite, but it's only happening a few people at a time... long-time readers of Marvel and DC who discover Valiant and love it.

Any suggestions about what might work on the others who are still stuck in the Marvel and DC rut? What do you think might have helped you find Valiant sooner?
Thank you! Honestly, more exposure to the company. I know Valiant won't be able to compete against DC or Marvel in terms of marketing, but I didn't know anything about Valiant until ComiXology recommended Valiant High, and to be honest, that almost turned me away from the company. I think, us as fans ( yes, I'm including myself now) can do some marketing in reddit, I mean, I used to check /r/comicbooks and that was dominated by Marvel and DC.

The fact that Valiant is offering most of their #1s free is awesome. I think, and hope, that with talks about movies, they will attract a lot more fans.
TheeBaldMoose wrote:
Aztek wrote:...Now, I'm waiting for pay day to go and leave my whole check at the comic book store because they're too good to only be read digitally.
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Yep, you belong here! Welcome to the pages, you'll get a great deal of conversation regarding your favorites! Also, don't be afraid to get involved, lots and lots to talk about!

Hope to see you around, Houston has a good handful of great comic book stores! Good luck on the Bar!
Thanks! Second time taking it, hopefully this is the time I pass. I might lurk a bit since I'm so new and my opinions might be outdated, but I'll be around.

Love the comic book stores here, much better than PR.

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

Welcome!!! :thumb:
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

Summydad1
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O/Bloodshot/Ninjak/Rai
Favorite title: X-O (2012)/Harby (2012)
Favorite writer: Kindt/Venditti/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS/Braithwaite/Crain

Post by Summydad1 »

Welcome! I agree that the movies will be the best way to attract new fans. I personally can't wait to see them.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Welcome!

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Welcome to the board! Although I haven't seen it, I can imagine that Valiant High would be a weird first introduction.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Welcome!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;