Angelus
2 posts down, 2 million to go
Favorite character: Turok
Nintendo brought me here.

Post by Angelus »

Hi guys!

I discovered Valiant through Nintendo.

In 1991, I discovered Valiant completely by accident when I picked up issue 3 of Super Mario Bros. I was a huge video game fan, and the idea of a Mario comic was extremely exciting; for all I knew, the publisher was Nintendo.

The ads in the book for issues of Magnus and Solar were equal parts intriguing and confusing for an 8 year old. Magus had incredible artwork and what looked like a very adult story; from what I pieced together through ads over the course of issues 3-6 of Super Mario Bros., Magnus had a girlfriend who turned herself into a robot. “Dark” and “intimidating” were two words I’d use to describe the images.

Solar was even more intense and confusing. Valiant was using minimalist teaser images before the launch of issue 1, and I couldn’t wrap my head around them. I thought they might be an ad for a movie.

So it wasn’t until the launch of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter for the Nintendo 64 many years later that I began to learn about Valiant and their full line up of superhero books.

In the ads for Turok, it was mentioned that the game was based on a comic book character. Turok had become (and remains) one of my favorite first-person shooters, and I was anxious to learn more about the character. I read about Gold Key, and slowly started putting the pieces together about what Valiant was.

In college, I got into comic collecting in a serious way. DC was my poison, but it was also around this time that I started to read more about Valiant, and how they emphasized writing and story over art, and how they stuck to tight continuity, and how carefully their books were plotted out. The fact that Turok was one of their main characters was the cherry on top.

In 2009, I went to the San Diego comic con for the first time. I took home two souvenirs: a Godzilla t-shirt, and Turok #1. It was dirt cheap (for good reason, as I now understand) and it was the start of my collection.

Since then, I’ve been on several Valiant kicks, the more serious one having started a few weeks ago. I’ve been attempting to read the Valiant Universe in the original order; I’m more interested in the stories, rather than the value of the books, so I’ve got a lot of trades in my collection. Right now I’m waiting on the Valiant Masters editions of Bloodshot and Rai to arrive from amazon.

And yes, I still have Super Mario Bros. #3-6, although my 8 year old self had no idea what “bags” and “boards” were, so the books are a little weathered, to say the very least.

I’m looking forward to the tips you guys have on how to collect and read everything from 1991-1996!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Nintendo brough me here.

Post by greg »

Welcome to the board! :clap:

Be sure to update us when you figure out the deal with Magnus' girlfriend/robot. :wink:

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Awesome story. Cool different entry to the valiant universe. We all come through different portals but end up in the same place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Welcome! :thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome to the board.

I dig the early Valiant/Nintendo stuff as well. The original Turok game was amazing and is still one of the most fun games I've ever played. They were one of the first games I can remember to have a cheat code menu built right into the game. Most games had to use the awkward Game Genie attachment.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Daniel Jackson wrote:The original Turok game was amazing and is still one of the most fun games I've ever played. They were one of the first games I can remember to have a cheat code menu built right into the game. Most games had to use the awkward Game Genie attachment.
^^vv<><>BA [start]

Angelus
Favorite character: Turok
Re: Nintendo brought me here.

Post by Angelus »

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

And not to worry, I started my collection with Magnus 0-10 and Solar 1-32, so I've made sense of all those old ads I saw as a kid. Maybe my original childhood interpretation is still coming in a later issue!

And I'm still waiting on the Turok remaster to come to the PS4; it's out for Xbox and PC, but I'm stubbornly holding out.

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by bobby97801 »

Welcome :thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Welcome! Always cool to hear such variety in people's intro to Valiant :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

greg wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:The original Turok game was amazing and is still one of the most fun games I've ever played. They were one of the first games I can remember to have a cheat code menu built right into the game. Most games had to use the awkward Game Genie attachment.
^^vv<><>BA [start]
Yeah, I remember those "up up down push this and that"....most of the time it wasn't even worth the effort.... not to mention looking through gaming mags just to get the right combinations.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Welcome! Post!

Sunlight on Snow
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Sunlight on Snow »

Angelus wrote:I discovered Valiant through Nintendo.
Me, too. That was a heck of a game back then and I loved it!

Welcome!

Ricomortis
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
lookin pu nub in all da wong pwaces
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Shadowman - Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
Favorite writer: Dysart & Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Larosa, Henry & CAFU

Post by Ricomortis »

Welcome

Check out my Gallery for this year: A year in the life of Ricomortis (2018) http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=50927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my Gallery for last year: "A year in the life of Ricomortis (2017)" http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p1056798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;