Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

myron wrote:
Heath wrote:
myron wrote:
Byrneout wrote:I think it was deleted about a year ago... I might be incorrect. We could always ask him to repost, though.
pretty sure you are right Ric...he asked Greg to remove everypost that he did so that thread probably when poof...
I thought about that Ric, but then when you said, "After I share my story, I'm going to go read Knightt's" I thought maybe it still existed somewhere.
that was from last year...

:oops: :lol: :oops:

Note to self: Pay attention to the dates on messages here!
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Yeah, Knightt's story pretty much blew everybody else away. We were all coming up with these sappy tales about hanging around comic shops as a kid, and Knightt's version had guns, booze, fights and sex.

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

depluto wrote:Yeah, Knightt's story pretty much blew everybody else away. We were all coming up with these sappy tales about hanging around comic shops as a kid, and Knightt's version had guns, booze, fights and sex.
And that was just the part about Vegas. :o
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Story

Post by dac55 »

Ric :thumb:

Chuck wrote
SH!T, I thought I had it tough growing up

Me to Chuck, but there no way my child hood was that ruff.

David

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

depluto wrote:Yeah, Knightt's story pretty much blew everybody else away. We were all coming up with these sappy tales about hanging around comic shops as a kid, and Knightt's version had guns, booze, fights and sex.
I think at least half of what you just described happened again last night - NYC is fun!!!

-slym (is still a little cloudy from last night)
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:
And that was just the part about Vegas. :o
Gotta check out that story.

Great story Byrneout. :thumb:

I truly appreciate you sharing it with us.

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

:o

I can't believe I've never read some of these storys before.

Thank you for sharing Byrneout, amazing story you lived through.

:atomic:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

siren3-4 wrote::o

I can't believe I've never read some of these storys before.

Thank you for sharing Byrneout, amazing story you lived through.

:atomic:
I have gotten parts of this from my conversations with other board members.... but I never read it myself........

Ric....... thanks for sharing...... truely.......

and thanks for the bumb Siren!

Rufusharley
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!

Post by Rufusharley »

Yeah siren, thanks :wink:

I feel like a bum not having read a lot of these.

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

Byrneout wrote:
Chuck wrote:SH!T, I thought I had it though growing up :atomic: :o
You did. I had it no better or worse than anyone else - my challenges were just different from yours.

Honestly, I consider myself lucky. I made it out alive, and fully functional, and I'm somewhat successful in life. There are kids who were in there the same time as I was who won't have the same opportunities. One child that I remember in particular was named Scotty - Scotty had 3rd degree burns over all of his body EXCEPT for a hand sized area on the back of his leg - no hair, he'd lost his left hand and two fingers on his right, his ears, nose and lips had to be reconstructed, etc. The spot that was spared is where his father's hand had been while he was pushing Scotty down into a tub filled with acid.

So, yeah, you had it tough, I had it tough, but we're both lucky that we didn't receive the same set of challenges that Scotty has to deal with.
Odd bit of synchronicity...

I recently had to have some (minor) work performed on one of my hands. I went to see a surgeon who specialized in hands locally - his name came to me as a recommendation, as my wife works in the medical field as she always knows the best and brightest to see for the various ailments that can afflict you.

The doctor came in and we began with the basics about why I was there and what needed to be done, and he took a look at my left hand. He drew back a second after seeing it, and then asked to see my right hand. After giving it to him, he looked me up and down, and then asked:

"Were you in the Shriner's in the late 70's? Midsummer of '79, perhaps?"

I responded that I was, and that's when he revealed that he knew me. It seems that the first time he performed a hand reconstruction on a burn victim was when he rebuilt mine. I expressed my gratitude, and as the conversation continued, he also revealed that he knew Scotty, and had been working with Scotty recently on some newer prosthetics - in fact, Scotty has had quite a number of reconstructive surgeries over the years, and looks less and less like my memory of him, and more and more like an average person. It seems that Scotty is doing quite well for himself, as he owns several parking lots in downtown Cincinnati along with some other business retail.

It's good to know that someone else made it back to normalcy after their visit to SBI.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Wow. Pretty amazing stuff, Ric.

schi0249
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by schi0249 »

That is truly an amazing story. I can't imagine going through what you have. I also admire the work you put in for the annual toy drive. I remember reading about it last year around Christmas. The generosity of the sites members is one of the things that interests me in the site.