Thanks to Image!

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sunlight_on_Snow
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 1992 Unity
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan
Thanks to Image!

Post by Sunlight_on_Snow »

Hey everyone!

I am new here, but not new to Valiant Comics. I was thinking about my journey with these characters and how I was motivated to pick up the books back in the day. I was mostly a DC and Marvel reader when Image Comics was founded, and, probably like some of you, also started buying Wizard magazine, which covered Image extensively. The Image comics were not great, but my enthusiasm was, and I bought a lot of them. I was buying some Vertigo like Sandman and Hellblazer, but until Image comics, I think the only independent book I was getting was Dark Horse Presents for the Sin City story. Image Comics kinda opened things up for me, and I remember seeing those pictures of X-O and Solar in Wizard magazine and getting excited, imagining what this other world of characters was like. I was definitely susceptible to the growing buzz, and before I knew it was buying all the Valiant books and having an amazing time with them. 90's comics get a bad rap nowadays, but that period of time with those books was the most magical, non-repeatable era of comic book reading for me. Valiant, Knightfall, Sandman, Hellboy, Sin City, and Image. Of course it was the age I was at, the amount of free time I had to sit in my bedroom with a stack of comics, and the youthful lack of cynicism I had even as I chased chromium this and rare book that. I used to call Paul Fairchild at the Valiant offices and we would geek out on the phone for an hour. I remember him asking me nervously one time if I still liked Archer & Armstrong after BWS's departure. I made custom action figures and was rewarded with gold books in the mail. But I never got sent the embossed gold Eternal Warrior #1! Damn you, Paul! ;-) Actually, the only Valiant promo item I kept since childhood is a mounted Ninjak #1 cover flat. It's faded a little, but still very cool. So, thanks, Paul! I loved Bloodshot, I loved Harbinger, and I loved the Malev war! I have since gotten back a lot of my old comics (thanks to my Dad!), but the one run of Valiant books I always held on to was the Malev war books. They're dated now, but they're still great.

See you around the boards!
"What was appealing about the moment would be, in time, the cause of its end. It was the first time I experienced an identifiable algodonic state. That is, I became capable of observing beauty while experiencing sadness simultaneously." -- Joshua Dysart, Imperium #3

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Thanks to Image!

Post by greg »

Welcome! :high-five:

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by bobby97801 »

Welcome :thumb:

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Welcome! :thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Neat story, welcome to the board. What custom figures did you make?

Sunlight_on_Snow

Daniel Jackson wrote:Neat story, welcome to the board. What custom figures did you make?
Thanks for all the warm welcomes, guys!

I can't remember every figure I made, Daniel, but I know it included Master Darque, Shadowman, and Ninjak (who I remember converting from a Super Powers Green Lantern). Funny note -- Paul requested a Dr. Silk after I sent him Ninjak, and I... tried. I had no idea how to make that wheelchair with the canister and the IV bag and all those other accessory details, so I fudged it. And then at SDCC a few months later I literally watched someone giving Paul an amazing Dr. Silk custom figure and getting from him in return... wait for it -- Gold Eternal Warrior #1! LOL!
"What was appealing about the moment would be, in time, the cause of its end. It was the first time I experienced an identifiable algodonic state. That is, I became capable of observing beauty while experiencing sadness simultaneously." -- Joshua Dysart, Imperium #3

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Welcome, and great board name! :thumb:

Sunlight_on_Snow

DirtbagSailor wrote:Welcome, and great board name! :thumb:
Thanks, man! Are you digging Imperium as much as I am?

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:
Can't say enough good about it; some of the best work seen in some time really.

Sunlight_on_Snow

DirtbagSailor wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:
Can't say enough good about it; some of the best work seen in some time really.
I feel the same way. I'm enjoying most of the VEI books, but to me, Imperium is in a league of its own.

I am looking forward to cracking Bloodshot Reborn, which I expect to be my second favorite, but I haven't started reading it yet. Issues 1-2 are sitting right here. Is that you in your profile pic painted up as Bloodshot?

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:Neat story, welcome to the board. What custom figures did you make?

I can't remember every figure I made, Daniel, but I know it included Master Darque, Shadowman, and Ninjak (who I remember converting from a Super Powers Green Lantern). Funny note -- Paul requested a Dr. Silk after I sent him Ninjak, and I... tried. I had no idea how to make that wheelchair with the canister and the IV bag and all those other accessory details, so I fudged it. And then at SDCC a few months later I literally watched someone giving Paul an amazing Dr. Silk custom figure and getting from him in return... wait for it -- Gold Eternal Warrior #1! LOL!
Hahaha....ouch. Would love to some pics, if you took some back in the day. There is also a couple of threads that have some awesome Valiant customs done over the years, if you care to dig through some of the topics (I think in General Discussion).

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Welcome!! That's a great story man - you chatted with a Valiant employee over the phone about the books back in the day?! That's awesome!! :clap:

Love your choice for a board name too - Easily one of the best characters to come out of the new Valiant books to date. Imperium is my favourite current title too, and Dysart is my favourite new Valiant writer.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

The Malev War was great! Welcome to the board!

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:Bloodshot Reborn... ...Is that you in your profile pic painted up as Bloodshot?
It is actually, I was in Africa conducting some business last winter and had spent a bit of time training and watching what I ate a bit more closely. My wife wanted a progress pic, and since it came out fairly well I just added a blood-dot with a photoshop app on my iPhone.

Sunlight_on_Snow

DirtbagSailor wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:Bloodshot Reborn... ...Is that you in your profile pic painted up as Bloodshot?
It is actually, I was in Africa conducting some business last winter and had spent a bit of time training and watching what I ate a bit more closely. My wife wanted a progress pic, and since it came out fairly well I just added a blood-dot with a photoshop app on my iPhone.
Wow, that's awesome! Congrats on the successful training. I work at it, too, and it's a tough routine. My wife likes the results, too, though! Didn't know photoshop had a phone app. Cool.

Sunlight_on_Snow

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:

Hahaha....ouch. Would love to some pics, if you took some back in the day. There is also a couple of threads that have some awesome Valiant customs done over the years, if you care to dig through some of the topics (I think in General Discussion).
I wish I had taken pictures of those figures! I don't know why I didn't. My brother and I discovered that you could use plumber's epoxy to sculpt all kinds of durable additions, and we would use sand paper and emory boards to remove the details we needed to remove or smooth. I remember that hours of slowly sanding action figures can give you a terrible hand cramp. Thanks for the tip about the custom figures topics here on the forums. I'll definitely check them out! Do you/did you ever make custom figures?

Sunlight_on_Snow

grendeljd wrote:Welcome!! That's a great story man - you chatted with a Valiant employee over the phone about the books back in the day?! That's awesome!! :clap:

Love your choice for a board name too - Easily one of the best characters to come out of the new Valiant books to date. Imperium is my favourite current title too, and Dysart is my favourite new Valiant writer.
Thanks, grendeljd and jmatt!

@jmatt: Right on! I know some people prefer Rai 1-8 and the early Magnus, but the Malev storyline really did it for me. Love that issue where they break the weather machine and it rains as they fight mekman.

@grendeljd: I met several of the OG Valiant guys at conventions back in the day, and Paul, who started out as a fan himself, and I happened to hit it off. It was definitely a fun time. Glad you love Imperium, too. I'm curious what the Harbinger ad in the Valiant FCBD comic means for the longevity of the title. It would be great to have both, but I think Dysart turns in the amazing job he does in part because he's able to focus on just the single monthly.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Welcome aboard, Mech Major. :thumb:

Sunlight_on_Snow

Chiclo wrote:Welcome aboard, Mech Major. :thumb:
Thanks, Chiclo! I wish to be called Sunlight on Snow! :kidaround:

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:

I wish I had taken pictures of those figures! I don't know why I didn't. My brother and I discovered that you could use plumber's epoxy to sculpt all kinds of durable additions, and we would use sand paper and emory boards to remove the details we needed to remove or smooth. I remember that hours of slowly sanding action figures can give you a terrible hand cramp. Thanks for the tip about the custom figures topics here on the forums. I'll definitely check them out! Do you/did you ever make custom figures?
I wish I had the creativity and artistic talent, but sadly no. Love to look at the pics of the customs people have made over the years though. It's surprising to see how many Valiant customs have been done. I guess like the comics, the characters left quite an impression on the action figure community as well.

Sunlight_on_Snow

Daniel Jackson wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:

I wish I had the creativity and artistic talent, but sadly no. Love to look at the pics of the customs people have made over the years though. It's surprising to see how many Valiant customs have been done. I guess like the comics, the characters left quite an impression on the action figure community as well.
Hopefully we'll get an official action figure line at some point, with both classic and VEI versions!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Sunlight_on_Snow wrote:

Hopefully we'll get an official action figure line at some point, with both classic and VEI versions!
Definitely looking forward to that.

Sunlight_on_Snow

If I could get a classic Master Darque and a VEI Bloodshot sculpted by the Four Horsemen, I'd be a happy guy :thumb:

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Welcome to the boards Mech Major :D
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

:thumb: