Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Divinity
Favorite title: Dr. Mirage
Favorite writer: Van Meter
Favorite artist: Braithwaite & Baron
Turok pointed the way

Post by Tony_H »

Howdy, all:

I worked in a comics shop from the mid 80s through the early 90s. By the time Valiant began publishing, I was burned out on the medium and paid no attention to the catalogues of its first two incarnations. By 08, I began regularly reading monthlies again, having gotten reeled back in through Dark Horse. I really enjoyed Jim Shooter's truncated DH title Turok: Son of Stone, so I picked up some Dinosaur Hunter back issues. Enter Valiant.

The post-2012 VEI books have been great. On the advice of an old friend, I started reading them within a few months of the Archer & Armstrong relaunch. However, other than what I've gleaned from isolated Turoks, I have zero knowledge of the 90s Valiant stories. Hearing about this board on Only The Valiant podcast 160, I knew I'd have to sign on.

Any suggestions about good places to begin trekking through the old universe are welcome!

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Turok pointed the way

Post by grendeljd »

Welcome aboard!

I worked at a couple of comic shops back in the early through mid-nineties, loved those jobs. :thumb:

I think any old school fans here will say you can't go wrong with pre-Unity issues of any VH1 titles that came before that historic cross-over event. I'd say go start looking into the original titles of whatever is currently your favourite of the new books though. You simply cannot go wrong with tracking down Barry Windsor-Smiths run on the original Archer & Armstrong though. Might be a good starting point for you...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Hey, look, grendeljd! Your "My VALIANT Story" binge rewarded you with welcoming a member before I could warn them about you smelly Canadians! :kidaround:

Welcome to the boards, Tony! Glad to see OTV pulled some people in. The Canadian board members such as grendeljd are not to be trusted. They seem really nice, but it's a passive-aggressive takeover!

My favorites of the first incarnation of Valiant are Solar, Magnus, and Rai. Early Rai is especially fun stuff.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Welcome! :thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Hey, look, grendeljd! Your "My VALIANT Story" binge rewarded you with welcoming a member before I could warn them about you smelly Canadians! :kidaround:
:high-five:

I did get on a bit of a 'welcome bender' there, didn't I? :lol:
lorddunlow wrote:Welcome to the boards, Tony! Glad to see OTV pulled some people in. The Canadian board members such as grendeljd are not to be trusted. They seem really nice, but it's a passive-aggressive takeover!
We like to kill with kindness. It's our lethal Secret Weapon.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: X-O Manowar

Post by bobby97801 »

Welcome :thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome to the board.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Welcome to the board :thumb:

pay no attention to lorddunlow he was born in West Virginia and is way too familiar with the expression "squeal like a pig"
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Tony_H
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by Tony_H »

Thanks, everybody! I'm leaning toward A&A as a starting point, for sure, but I'd also like to read the old Shadowman. The covers look pretty intriguing, and I've been told the latest iteration of that character didn't do justice to the first.

I also get the impression that :breakingnews: Dynamite Entertainment ain't too popular in all quarters around these parts...

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Tony_H wrote:I also get the impression that :breakingnews: Dynamite Entertainment ain't too popular in all quarters around these parts...
Some more than others. I suffer from Battered Dynamite Fan Syndrome. I used to buy a lot of Dynamite books and their habit of abandoning series and projects burned me out.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Chiclo wrote:
Tony_H wrote:I also get the impression that :breakingnews: Dynamite Entertainment ain't too popular in all quarters around these parts...
Some more than others. I suffer from Battered Dynamite Fan Syndrome. I used to buy a lot of Dynamite books and their habit of abandoning series and projects burned me out.
They also suck balls.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Welcome to the Boards, Tony! :)

Michael
Mkb28

Tony_H

Post by Tony_H »

Thanks, Mike! Happy to be here.
Chiclo wrote:Some more than others. I suffer from Battered Dynamite Fan Syndrome. I used to buy a lot of Dynamite books and their habit of abandoning series and projects burned me out.
lorddunlow wrote:They also suck balls.
Yep, I wasn't happy about the way they ended David Liss's The Spider series--they announced they were going to discontinue the title well before the end of the 18-issue run, and I'd suppose it was poor post-announcement sales that caused them to drag out publishing the last 3 issues over months and months.

But, que sera sera: I'm off to crack open the new Delinquents and maybe tomorrow the Scots will pull off their indy vote and bring something new and interesting into the world!