Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
Return to Valiant

Post by X-O »

Hello!

I was into superheroes as far back as I can remember. I always loved the X-Men, Spider-Man, Captain America, Batman, etc. I collected comics from the early 80's until around 1994. I had a nice collection of mostly Marvel, a little DC and the new (at the time) Image stuff. I hadn't heard of Valiant before, but I saw the X-O Manowar trade paperback and picked it up. I was floored. What an awesome story! Great artwork too. Soon after that, I picked up Harbinger and Solar trade paperbacks. I loved the storylines and continuity. I was hooked. Then I got a '72 Mustang convertible. That became my focus and I sold all my comics for performance parts.

My interest in comics was renewed a few months ago when a friend of mine gave me about 700 comics that he didn't want anymore from when we were collecting back in the day. Only 2 Valiant issues in the bunch, but that was enough to get things going again. With all the awesome superhero movies that have come out in the last decade or so, it was probably inevitable anyway. So here I am, 20 years later, collecting Valiant again. My main focus is X-O Manowar, but it's a good bet that I'll scoop up the other titles too. I can't wait for that X-O Omnibus coming out in November, that's quite possibly my favorite comic cover of all time.

I'm glad to be part of the community, I look forward to catching up on what I've missed!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Return to Valiant

Post by lorddunlow »

Welcome to the boards! Canadians are evil! Not to be trusted. MarkRoseHFX is the devil!

:kidaround:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by bobby97801 »

Welcome :thumb:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Welcome to the board! :high-five:

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Great Story

Welcome

:thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Welcome! :thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome.

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

Welcome.

How did that username not get taken. Why didn't I know about it? Someone is getting fired for this.

X-O is my obsession also. Your username is infinitely better than mine :cry:
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Welcome to the board!

lorddunlow wrote:Welcome to the boards! Canadians are evil! Not to be trusted. MarkRoseHFX is the devil!

:kidaround:
bite me you brony :P
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Welcome back to collecting, and to the board! XO was ways a top favourite of mine as well - although Harbinger rules the roost for me with the modern books. Absolutely stellar character driven writing there. I already miss the regular series, even though there are currently two Harbinger mini-series running.

I am a big XMen fan as well, I recently bought a copy of Uncanny #109 that turned out to have Byrne & Austen's signatures on the first page!! :D I don't currently read any new Marvel books at all though.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

X-O
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok

Post by X-O »

Thanks everyone for welcoming me onboard!

I've been checking a few local comic shops for the newer Valiant stuff, but I've run into a lot of disappointment. Nearly every single copy I've seen on the shelves are beat up and worn. I'm a real stickler for condition, so these issues don't end up in my collection. Starting a pullbox service probably wouldn't help much either. Do you guys know where I can get consistently high-quality issues online other than Ebay? I noticed a bunch of sellers advertise their comics as near mint and add a disclosure that they're not professional graders to absolve themselves of responsibility when the issues I receive are in far less favorable condition...

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

X-O wrote:Thanks everyone for welcoming me onboard!

I've been checking a few local comic shops for the newer Valiant stuff, but I've run into a lot of disappointment. Nearly every single copy I've seen on the shelves are beat up and worn. I'm a real stickler for condition, so these issues don't end up in my collection. Starting a pullbox service probably wouldn't help much either. Do you guys know where I can get consistently high-quality issues online other than Ebay? I noticed a bunch of sellers advertise their comics as near mint and add a disclosure that they're not professional graders to absolve themselves of responsibility when the issues I receive are in far less favorable condition...
Ugh. Disappointing to hear another story about the poor shape of Valiant books on the LCS shelves... It seems to be a common problem for many of us. I feel your pain, sir.

Some guys around here use DCBS, but I'm not much of an online shopper for my new books, so I can't vouch for it.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

X-O wrote:Thanks everyone for welcoming me onboard!

The member paradise on here is Ed who owns comic shops in California. I've purchased books from him before and they were in phenomenal shape. Many members have garnered CGC 9.8 candidates from him. He provides a mail subscription service on his website. He's a good guy. Website: http://comicsandcards.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Welcome to the Boards, X-O! :) X-O Manowar is one of the best stories that Valiant is producing and the first issues that I bought after the relaunch. Wait until you read the new "Armor Hunters" story! :cloud9:

Michael
Mkb28

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

:breakingnews: cool, enjoy, see you around :clap:
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

X-O
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok

Post by X-O »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I checked out paradise's website, I may just start a monthly subscription through him. There are a ton of comic shops in the Chicago area, I just need a little more time to check them out. It's kinda funny how I have an easier time finding the original 1990's Valiant stuff in better shape than the current books. Not really a huge problem since I can get the trade paperback versions and not miss anything. I've always liked that format anyway.