My Valiant Story

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

RogueJedi74
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar (Old) / Rai (New)
Favorite title: X-O (Old) / Harbinger (New)
Favorite writer: N/A
Favorite artist: N/A
My Valiant Story

Post by RogueJedi74 »

My story starts with a small card shop that sold baseball cards and then starting getting into comics in the early 90s.

I started with Unity got sucked into the amazing story. Then I went back and read all of the pre-unity books. Solar, X-O, Magnus, Harbinger, and Rai had me hooked. I read a few other Image titles and Batman Knightfall during that time but was mainly a Valiant guy. I stuck with it for a couple of years until interest drifted to other activities.

So in 2012 I was at Heroescon in Charlotte NC and I saw the Valiant booth when they re-launched the comics. I was pretty excited and got X-O #1, 2, and Harbinger 1. After the show I lost track and forgot about it.

Then earlier this year a comic shop opened near my Mom's house (45 mins away from home) so I thought I would check it out. After 4 months of hanging out and talking about movies and Hot Toys figures with the owner, I decided to check on my LCS just to see what they had. Low and behold they had Rai #1. I bought it, read it, fell in love with it. Then I pulled out my old books and read pre-unity, unity, and 5 or so books after and realized how many I was missing. In total I bought a bunch of old valiant books to fill holes. I realized I really wanted to checkout the new books. So my OCD kicked in and I hit ebay. Bought full run of X-O, Harbinger, Shadowman, and Eternal Warrior from one guy. Then Quantum and Woody, Bloodshot and Unity from another. Thank God it was my birthday and I was able to spend the money. I also ordered every book by Valiant from a local comic shop.

I read X-O 1-3, Harbinger 1-3, and Bloodshot 1 and I am blown away. I also started listening to the "Only the Valiant" podcast which is loads of fun. I am very impressed with the Valiant fans and their passion for a quality universe, stories, and characters. I literally could write more but I think that gives you a good idea of my renewed passion for Valiant.

Thanks for keeping the flame going and helping give a great comic universe a 2nd chance.

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Re: My Valiant Story

Post by bobby97801 »

Welcome :clap:

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Great story

welcome to the board :thumb:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

A hearty & pleasant welcome from one of the Canadian Contingent of VFans - pay no attention to Dunlow when he shows up to welcome you. You'll know what I mean when it happens. :wink:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Welcome to the boards! Dang it, I let TWO Canadians beat me to the punch. I bet they've won you over to their Canadian universal healthcare-loving ways already!

You should avoid the Canadians at all cost. In fact, the two posters above me are the most dangerous. Especially that MarkRoseHFX character. If you here from a guy named Hawkeyeps, stay clear as well.

This has been a LordDunlow Anti-Canadian Welcome to the Board PSA.
RogueJedi74 wrote: I stuck with it for a couple of years until interest drifted to other activities.
Hey jmatt, want to make a bet about what "other activities" were? My money is on other activities = getting laid.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Welcome! :thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Welcome aboard RogueJedi74. :thumb:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

Welcome Rogue! Hope you enjoy the OTV podcast! Also, keep in mind there are three other fantastic Valiant podcasts to listen to:

Valiant Podcast
Valiant Future Podcast
Valiant Effort

Check 'em all out on iTunes and/or online as well! WOOT!
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

RogueJedi74

Post by RogueJedi74 »

JonesyAZ wrote:Welcome Rogue! Hope you enjoy the OTV podcast! Also, keep in mind there are three other fantastic Valiant podcasts to listen to:

Valiant Podcast
Valiant Future Podcast
Valiant Effort

Wow, that is really good (Lots of good discussion about the books) and really bad (It will be 2015 before I get caught up lol). I am on episode 85 of OTV from back in October 2012 lol. I try to get through 5 to 6 a week. I am sure I will listen and like these also. I hope they don't have over 100 episodes each. However, heading to the beach on vacation soon so I should be able to make a big dent.

Thanks for the great fan support. It adds another layer to the great Valiant Universe.

RogueJedi74

Post by RogueJedi74 »

lorddunlow wrote:Welcome to the boards! Dang it, I let TWO Canadians beat me to the punch. I bet they've won you over to their Canadian universal healthcare-loving ways already!

You should avoid the Canadians at all cost. In fact, the two posters above me are the most dangerous. Especially that MarkRoseHFX character. If you here from a guy named Hawkeyeps, stay clear as well.

This has been a LordDunlow Anti-Canadian Welcome to the Board PSA.
RogueJedi74 wrote: I stuck with it for a couple of years until interest drifted to other activities.
Hey jmatt, want to make a bet about what "other activities" were? My money is on other activities = getting laid.
Is there any posts or documentation I need to be reading about these Canadians? Or perhaps something about the Americans? :?

Thanks for looking our for us new fans!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

RogueJedi74 wrote:
JonesyAZ wrote:Welcome Rogue! Hope you enjoy the OTV podcast! Also, keep in mind there are three other fantastic Valiant podcasts to listen to:

Valiant Podcast
Valiant Future Podcast
Valiant Effort

Wow, that is really good (Lots of good discussion about the books) and really bad (It will be 2015 before I get caught up lol). I am on episode 85 of OTV from back in October 2012 lol. I try to get through 5 to 6 a week. I am sure I will listen and like these also. I hope they don't have over 100 episodes each. However, heading to the beach on vacation soon so I should be able to make a big dent.

Thanks for the great fan support. It adds another layer to the great Valiant Universe.
Nah, those others are all new. OTV has been producing chart-topping podcast hits for over 6 years now.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Welcome we love new blood here

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chriskay99
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Location: The surrounding metropolitan area of Los Angeles, CA

Post by chriskay99 »

Great story! Welcome to the boards! :high-five:
Black Science. Lazarus. Birthright. Saga. Manifest Destiny. Deadly Class.

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

Welcome :thumb:
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

RogueJedi74 wrote:My story starts with a small card shop that sold baseball cards and then starting getting into comics in the early 90s.

I started with Unity got sucked into the amazing story. Then I went back and read all of the pre-unity books. Solar, X-O, Magnus, Harbinger, and Rai had me hooked.
Welcome to the boards!

Wow! This sounds a lot like my Valiant story minus a road trip and a lot of Jodeci. :D
Multum In Parvo

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

RogueJedi74 wrote:

Valiant Podcast
Valiant Future Podcast
Valiant Effort

Jedi:

Welcome to the Boards! :) I started with Episode 1 of the OTV podcast and have listened to them all. What a great way to learn about the Valiant history and the passionate fans. You will also hear my name as the inspiration on one of the episodes on collecting new Valiant comics. I believe it is episode 101 or 102 or something like that. When I heard "Michael" gave us this idea, I nearly drove off the road with excitement. :lol: I am a "road warrior" for my work and the OTV podcasts have helped me keep my sanity.

Great story, by the way, and we are glad you found us. :)

Michael
Mkb28

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Welcome! :thumb:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

RogueJedi74

Post by RogueJedi74 »

The Dirt Gang wrote:
RogueJedi74 wrote:My story starts with a small card shop that sold baseball cards and then starting getting into comics in the early 90s.

I started with Unity got sucked into the amazing story. Then I went back and read all of the pre-unity books. Solar, X-O, Magnus, Harbinger, and Rai had me hooked.
Welcome to the boards!

Wow! This sounds a lot like my Valiant story minus a road trip and a lot of Jodeci. :D
I don't think I can tie Jodeci into my Valiant experience but I certainly had their CDs (Along with a little Boys to Men). Man I am getting old :o

The Dirt Gang
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

RogueJedi74 wrote:
The Dirt Gang wrote:

Welcome to the boards!

I don't think I can tie Jodeci into my Valiant experience but I certainly had their CDs (Along with a little Boys to Men). Man I am getting old :o
Ha! The first CD I owned was Boys II Men's Cooleyhighharmony. I discovered Valiant on a family road trip. On that road trip all I did was read the few Valiant books I'd found and listen to Jodeci. Side note - I was watching So You Think You Can Dance and someone used Shai's acapella version of If I Ever Fall In Love. That took me back. :D
Multum In Parvo