DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium
The Valiant Path

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Truth be told, I'm not that old; relatively speaking that is. Time is not absolute, and a man’s memory can be both long and short at the same time. Some things seem a lifetime away, while at the same time I can close my eyes and vividly remember when I first was introduced to the world of superheroes.

See, I must have held my very first comic book in 1983/1984. Not really sure since it is hard to date/time stamp such things, but I am pretty sure it was an issue of The Avenger’s from my uncle’s collection at grandmother’s house (he was off at UCLA at the time) as I clearly recall seeing The Vision’s distinctive red, green, and yellow colors. I’m sure that he would have been quite irritated had he found me fooling with his collection, but kids are kids and you can only expect them to be as much. To be fair, despite barley even knowing how to read, I somehow understood the value of what was in my hands, and also the respect to the masterpieces that they were.

However, we were not a well-off or even a middle-class family financially, so such luxuries as comic books were forced to take a back-seat to paying the rent and putting food on the table. It might seem strange to some a kid’s inability to shell out $.50, $.75, or $1.00 for on occasion, but it was what it was and that was that. Eventually, I was able to help my father at work with occasional odd jobs to make ends meet and for few hours to a full-day’s work my younger brother and I could be rewarded with a few bucks, and we knew immediately how to spend it…

We lived in a small rural town in Louisiana, and aside from perhaps the Archie Digest available at the corner-store, we really had no comic shops near-by. Every two weeks, my parents would drive to the next town over where they had an actual grocery store, which did carry a small number of comics. So we paid for the issues we could afford, and read the issues we could not while mom did the shopping.

At some point about 1990/1991, I saw a comic book shop that had opened up about 10 miles from our home, so would ride my bike down the highway (which turned out to be great exercise for a developing boy) and explore what they had in the shop (it should be noted that there were also a few hot girls in the area which also increased my desire to make the trip as often as possible :D ). I knew about Marvel and DC, but was unaware of any other companies at the time.
Soon enough, however, I started reading different comic price guides, as well as some of the articles regarding Image Comics and Valiant Comics. They were in high demand, and always listed on the Top 10 lists of must-have and/or Hot books at that time.

So I picked up Solar: Man of the Atom, Magnus: Robot Fighter, Harbinger, and Bloodshot. Of course the Pre-Unity books were unobtainable for me, and the idea of a Gold Variant was non-existent. However, I did somehow manage to obtain a copy of Magnus: Robot Fighter #12, and later Turok #1, which served as the “Gems” of my small collection.

While I was not able to get my hands of each issue, I did what I could. However, by the mid-1990’s, the availability of Valiant books was fading, and not long after, vanished into Acclaim. I focused on high school, girlfriend(s), and sports with a decent level of success in each. In college my dorm room wall was covered (much like a comic shop) with Valiant books, but I was not collecting anything new.

About 25 years old, I was working with a stable income, and was able to start picking up issues that I had missed in my youth. By 30, I had amassed a respectable collection of key issues, and by 35, many issues that I have dreamed about as a kid were now in my collection.

There really is a great feeling that comes with finally getting what you want, and that feeling is even better when I can give to my kids (I now have a few teenagers myself) what I did not have. My office at home is a literal museum, with framed original Splash Pages and CGC Signature books. Often when life or work gets a little stressful, I’ll sit back in that office and look around. “Nope..” I might think to myself “life is pretty damn good…”

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Re: The Valiant Path

Post by caniac »

cool story...welcome to the board!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Welcome. It's fun here. Watch your step for those stinking Canadians. They're everywhere around here, and they're a real *SQUEE* to wash off!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

nonplayer
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Some *SQUEE* er down the road from me riped up my first comic I cant remember what it was but I was like 7 now 35 and cherish my books. Nice story welcome to the crazy valiantfan boards
I Miss the good old days.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Welcome! :clap:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

Peter
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by Peter »

Welcome DBS, I am new as well, and am finding out very quickly, that this forum is full of some good people.

Hope you enjoy your stay :)

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

Welcome to the board.

Here, have a taco. :D

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Great story and welcome to the Board! :) My comic book office is slowly coming together. My soon to be 13 year old son said he "outgrew" his Batman fathead wall sticker so that was the first piece that went in. Somehow I never outgrew it! :o Next, I added a framed Bloodshot vs. Ninjak poster and it is now slowly coming together. I hope to get Dysart's autograph at the St. Louis con and frame Harbinger #1 Pullbox cover. Looks like you have an amazing office. :thumb: At the end of the day, it is nice to sit in my recliner and read an issue or two of Valiant.

Take care,

Michael
Mkb28

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Welcome to the board! What part of Louisiana? I'm a displaced Texan, but have been living in Louisiana for about 25 years.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

great story! welcome :thumb:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Heath wrote:Welcome to the board! What part of Louisiana? I'm a displaced Texan, but have been living in Louisiana for about 25 years.
I was born in Texas, but grew up outside of New Orleans about 10 miles from the Mississippi state line. I live in Thailand right now and have a good position at the U.S. Embassy (no decent Cajun food here sadly... :( ). But it's been a great posting, and I've certainly seen things here that would amaze most people.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
Heath wrote:Welcome to the board! What part of Louisiana? I'm a displaced Texan, but have been living in Louisiana for about 25 years.
I was born in Texas, but grew up outside of New Orleans about 10 miles from the Mississippi state line. I live in Thailand right now and have a good position at the U.S. Embassy (no decent Cajun food here sadly... :( ). But it's been a great posting, and I've certainly seen things here that would amaze most people.
No Cajun food? That's just not acceptable! Although Thai food is pretty good, too.

Man Of The Atom
Favorite artist: Ramon Villalobos

Post by Man Of The Atom »

Welcome to the board!

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
do they have any good Mexican food?
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:do they have any good Mexican food?
There are very few options for Mexican food in Bangkok, though I do know of two spots that are significantly superior to the rest of what is available, and we swing by every other week or so.

Last night we attended a welcome party for the new U.S. Consul General, and it just so happens they live in the same building as the Mexican Ambassador, who was kind enough to send one of their assistants to the party who seemed to have strong/reliable information about where to get the best Mexican food. I'll have to ask my wife who was chatting it up with her, but she did bring tamales and they were as good as anything I've had back in the Americas.

Heath
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I tend to prefer Mexicajun or Tex-Mex to authentic Mexican food which I find can be a bit bland sometimes.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
There are very few options for Mexican food in Bangkok, though I do know of two spots that are significantly superior to the rest of what is available, and we swing by every other week or so.

Last night we attended a welcome party for the new U.S. Consul General, and it just so happens they live in the same building as the Mexican Ambassador, who was kind enough to send one of their assistants to the party who seemed to have strong/reliable information about where to get the best Mexican food. I'll have to ask my wife who was chatting it up with her, but she did bring tamales and they were as good as anything I've had back in the Americas.

This guy is pretty cool. :thumb:

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Heath wrote:I tend to prefer Mexicajun or Tex-Mex to authentic Mexican food which I find can be a bit bland sometimes.
+1
Chiclo wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:

This guy is pretty cool. :thumb:
+1 again

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

:offtopic: So my wife calls me up yesterday afternoon and asks for $1,000 (or about 30,000 Thai Baht...) so that she can pay for a large dragon tattoo. (see below)

I'm all for a traditional dragon, and woman sometimes just want what they want. Just need to make sure she wears the "right" dresses when we attend various government and/or official functions. A lot of folks take one look at such things and are quick to formulate an opinion on the spot, it's just the way people are.

However, I think with a beach vacaction and a few coconut drinks a classic dragon ink-job will be about right. :D

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

Awesome ! Welcome and like were you head is at.
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Welcome to the board! :clap:

(We've got to have a larger version of the avatar photo that you're using!) :thumb:

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

greg wrote:Welcome to the board! :clap:

(We've got to have a larger version of the avatar photo that you're using!) :thumb:
I'll take another one shortly and post (my collection has since expanded by a significant {and expensive} margine). Prob this week sometime.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

:offtopic: Wife asked me what we should do for Halloween this year. Initially I thought "Man, I bet no body has ever pulled-off Pre-Unity "Magnus"...". But then I decided that I needed another 20 pounds or so to make that goofy mini-skirt work. However, I think with a good wig, I might be able to do a "Doctor Solar" with hood removed to be a mix of Phil Seleski and Solar. My daughers say I should try to do "Sinestro."

The wife can pull-off one of the best "Chun Li" ever, but she did that a few years back. Might try "Domino" from X-Force, or prehaps even "The Barroness" from G.I. Joe.

Thoughts?

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

greg wrote:(We've got to have a larger version of the avatar photo that you're using!) :thumb:
Quick look (or as many as I could fit on 1 PowePoint slide).

1. Unity #0 (Red-Logo Variant), Signed by Jim Shooter & Bob Layton
2. Unity #1 (Platinum Edition), Signed by Jim Shooter & Bob Layton
3. Magnus, Robot Fighter #1
4. The Incredible Hulk #181
5. The New Mutants #98, Signed by Rob Liefeld & Stan Lee
6. Spawn #1, Signed by Todd McFarlane
7. Solar #10 (1st Print)
8. Rai #1
9. Rai #3
10. The Avengers #4
11. Rai #4, Signed by Bob Layton
12. Archer & Armstrong #0 (Gold Edition)
13. Wolverine Limited #1, Signed by Stan Lee & Herb Trimpe
14. Shadowman #1
15. X-O Manowar #1, Signed by Bob Layton
16. Silver Surfer #4, Signed by Stan Lee
17. The Amazing Spiderman #129, Signed by Stan Lee
18. G.I. Joe #1, Signed by Stan Lee

Of course I have much more, but these were on-hand.