mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite
Another My Valiant Story

Post by mateo107 »

Like a lot of people, my first exposure to Valiant came in the early 90‘s. At that time I was still a teenager on a limited budget and hadn’t yet attained the financial independence of a minimum wage job. Fortunately, back then comic stores had a thing called a 25-cent bin. Buying new comics was a rare luxury, usually a reward I’d get from my parents periodically when I got my braces tightened. Being able to collect a series month after month not only seemed unattainable, it never really occurred to me that people bought comics that way. As a result, my early collection consisted of sporadic issues, mostly Marvel and DC, but occasional independents. A Solar here, an X-O Manowar there. I knew collector’s items like Turok #1 and Magnus #25 were worth the 25-cent investment and would pay my way through college someday. I saved up $20 and bought a Magnus #1, the first comic book I ever bought off the wall of the shop.

When I was old enough to start a job, Valiant was long gone. There was this new company called Acclaim, but their Magnus just didn’t look right to me so I never bought an issue. Instead, I started buying JLA, Batman and Superman, I guess being able to afford not just monthly but weekly comics was a newfound status symbol. For the next 15 years i was almost exclusively a DC reader, sticking with Superman purely off the momentum of better stories that I remembered affectionately from a decade before. I watched it progressively deteriorate, including a disastrous year without Superman even in his own books (World of New Krypton) and a boring year of being “Grounded”. When I thought things couldn’t possibly get any worse, DC did the unthinkable and re-booted their entire line. I knew from the awful first teaser image of Grant Morrison’s Action Comics #1 with Superman in a t-shirt and jeans that this wasn’t for me, and I quit reading comics altogether. It might sound silly for me to say this, but the “new 52” put me in a state of depression, it was like an old friend had died and an integral part of life had ended. I tried buying up some 90‘s Superman back issues to fill the holes in my collection, but it just wasn’t the same anymore.

Even though I hadn’t been making my weekly visits to the comic store in a while, people still considered me a comic book guy. An actor friend thought of me when he got an extra pass to Wonder Con, and so I went along with him. As expected, nothing I saw from Marvel and DC impressed me anymore, but as I wandered aimlessly through the convention, I stumbled across something I never thought I’d see: Valiant had a booth! Sometime in the year of my absence from comics some crazy nut actually resurrected that company. I knew enough of the troubled history of the characters after Acclaim to know that this was something special, probably the greatest comeback in comic book history. A guy in a Valiant t-shirt, who I later found out was CEO Dinesh Shamdasani, started talking to me. I was initially disappointed that Magnus wasn’t a part of the new Valiant, I was more familiar with the Gold Key characters, slightly familiar with X-O Manowar and Eternal Warrior, but knew absolutely nothing about Bloodshot. Yet before I knew it, I had bought two X-O Manowar trades. I went back to the hotel and read them that night, and came back to the convention the next day to buy the Harbinger and Bloodshot trades. I couldn’t believe I was actually excited about comics again, I jumped right into Harbinger Wars the next month.

Since then, I’ve been catching up on the whole line. My monthly buying habits are now closer to what they were at 14 years old, just getting an issue here or there if it looks interesting, only now I do eventually catch up on everything later in the trade. anyways, I've been lurking on the boards for a few months, and since I'm not Canadian I figured it was safe to finally register an account and participate.
Mateo
Last edited by mateo107 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:22:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: Another My Valiant Story

Post by lorddunlow »

mateo107 wrote: anyways, I've been lurking on the boards for a few months, and since I'm not Canadian I figured it was safe to finally register an account and participate.
Mateo
:lol: :lol:

Best first post ever! Welcome to the board. It's fun here.

You don't post on the XDA forums by chance, do you? (One of the developers I follow is named mateorod)
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Seriously a wonderful first post

Welcome :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mateo107

Post by mateo107 »

if you thought that was great, wait'll you see my second post. oh, wait...

mateo107

Post by mateo107 »

lorddunlow wrote: You don't post on the XDA forums by chance, do you? (One of the developers I follow is named mateorod)
nope, that's not me, sorry.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

mateo107 wrote:if you thought that was great, wait'll you see my second post. oh, wait...
:lol:

Man Of The Atom
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite artist: Ramon Villalobos

Post by Man Of The Atom »

Good story. Welcome to the board.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Hello Mateo:

Great story and welcome to the Board! :)

Michael
mkb28

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Awesome. Welcome. It's fun here.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

Welcome
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome to the board.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Welcome! :clap:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

Welcome to the board.

Here, have a taco. :D

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

mateo107 wrote: and since I'm not Canadian I figured it was safe to finally register an account and participate.
Mateo
It's safe for Canadians we just have to put up with dunlow :D

Welcome to the board! :thumb:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

Awesome story! Welcome to the boards :thumb:

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Welcome to the board Mateo, and thanks for sharing your story. :thumb:

As a fellow 'mainly DC' guy, I could recognise a lot of what you posted about DC and its deterioration (although it was not Superman for me) and the effect of the new 52.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

Why does everyone hate on Canada? :?

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

MarrowMan wrote:Why does everyone hate on Canada? :?
:thumb:

Not everyone; I have always thought of Canadians as being like Brits who are more tolerant of the French ( :twisted: ), are more civilised than shared-language cousins the Aussies ( :twisted: ), and who are to be more trusted with firearms than Americans ( :twisted: )...
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

leonmallett wrote:

Not everyone; I have always thought of Canadians as being like Brits who are more tolerant of the French ( :twisted: ), are more civilised than shared-language cousins the Aussies ( :twisted: ), and who are to be more trusted with firearms than Americans ( :twisted: )...
That is an amazingly accurate description of Canadians.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

leonmallett wrote: and who are to be more trusted with firearms than Americans ( :twisted: )...
:lol:

FormerReader

Post by FormerReader »

Welcome to the boards!

MarkRoseHFX
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

It's mostly just dunlow the lord of the dance. I still think he's a closet Canadian lover.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

leonmallett wrote:

Trusted or otherwise, this American has firearms. :thumb:

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

mateo107 wrote:Like a lot of people, my first exposure to Valiant came in the early 90‘s. At that time I was still a teenager on a limited budget and hadn’t yet attained the financial independence of a minimum wage job. Fortunately, back then comic stores had a thing called a 25-cent bin. Buying new comics was a rare luxury, usually a reward I’d get from my parents periodically when I got my braces tightened. Being able to collect a series month after month not only seemed unattainable, it never really occurred to me that people bought comics that way. As a result, my early collection consisted of sporadic issues, mostly Marvel and DC, but occasional independents. A Solar here, an X-O Manowar there. I knew collector’s items like Turok #1 and Magnus #25 were worth the 25-cent investment and would pay my way through college someday. I saved up $20 and bought a Magnus #1, the first comic book I ever bought off the wall of the shop.

When I was old enough to start a job, Valiant was long gone. There was this new company called Acclaim, but their Magnus just didn’t look right to me so I never bought an issue. Instead, I started buying JLA, Batman and Superman, I guess being able to afford not just monthly but weekly comics was a newfound status symbol. For the next 15 years i was almost exclusively a DC reader, sticking with Superman purely off the momentum of better stories that I remembered affectionately from a decade before. I watched it progressively deteriorate, including a disastrous year without Superman even in his own books (World of New Krypton) and a boring year of being “Grounded”. When I thought things couldn’t possibly get any worse, DC did the unthinkable and re-booted their entire line. I knew from the awful first teaser image of Grant Morrison’s Action Comics #1 with Superman in a t-shirt and jeans that this wasn’t for me, and I quit reading comics altogether. It might sound silly for me to say this, but the “new 52” put me in a state of depression, it was like an old friend had died and an integral part of life had ended. I tried buying up some 90‘s Superman back issues to fill the holes in my collection, but it just wasn’t the same anymore.

Even though I hadn’t been making my weekly visits to the comic store in a while, people still considered me a comic book guy. An actor friend thought of me when he got an extra pass to Wonder Con, and so I went along with him. As expected, nothing I saw from Marvel and DC impressed me anymore, but as I wandered aimlessly through the convention, I stumbled across something I never thought I’d see: Valiant had a booth! Sometime in the year of my absence from comics some crazy nut actually resurrected that company. I knew enough of the troubled history of the characters after Acclaim to know that this was something special, probably the greatest comeback in comic book history. A guy in a Valiant t-shirt, who I later found out was CEO Dinesh Shamdasani, started talking to me. I was initially disappointed that Magnus wasn’t a part of the new Valiant, I was more familiar with the Gold Key characters, slightly familiar with X-O Manowar and Eternal Warrior, but knew absolutely nothing about Bloodshot. Yet before I knew it, I had bought two X-O Manowar trades. I went back to the hotel and read them that night, and came back to the convention the next day to buy the Harbinger and Bloodshot trades. I couldn’t believe I was actually excited about comics again, I jumped right into Harbinger Wars the next month.

Since then, I’ve been catching up on the whole line. My monthly buying habits are now closer to what they were at 14 years old, just getting an issue here or there if it looks interesting, only now I do eventually catch up on everything later in the trade. anyways, I've been lurking on the boards for a few months, and since I'm not Canadian I figured it was safe to finally register an account and participate.
Mateo
+10

Exactly how I felt when DC launched the New 52, as if old and trusted friends had vanished with nary a trace.

Howdy and welcome to the boards! :thumb:

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

Welcome ! Dino waved his Valiant magic upon you !
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE