An Unexpected Surprise

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

WarAngel
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
An Unexpected Surprise

Post by WarAngel »

Well it's become apparent to me that Valiant is back as an independent company. :o :thumb: Quite a shock as last I'd heard they'd been acquired by Acclaim and then went kaput.

Having recently gotten back into comics after much time without much interest I'm working on getting caught up with Marvel's Civil War story with their TPBs. On my last trip to the local shop I had some extra time so looked around and found an issue of X-O Manowar with the new issues. At the time I thought they were reprinting the old issues but this does not seem to be the case. So now I look forward to getting collecting new stories..

Is there anything I should know about this new universe? Like does it run as before with strong continuity. Any key differences to the characters etc.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: An Unexpected Surprise

Post by magnusr »

WarAngel wrote:Well it's become apparent to me that Valiant is back as an independent company. :o :thumb: Quite a shock as last I'd heard they'd been acquired by Acclaim and then went kaput.

Having recently gotten back into comics after much time without much interest I'm working on getting caught up with Marvel's Civil War story with their TPBs. On my last trip to the local shop I had some extra time so looked around and found an issue of X-O Manowar with the new issues. At the time I thought they were reprinting the old issues but this does not seem to be the case. So now I look forward to getting collecting new stories..

Is there anything I should know about this new universe? Like does it run as before with strong continuity. Any key differences to the characters etc.
Welcome, the focus is on new stories and they do a few reprints also. Like before they use a strong continuity. All characters are remade, not sure what would qualify as key differences. For instance, Pete is a lot more of an outsider than in the original series, but all the key components are there. Bloodshot is a bit of a mix between Valiant's and Acclaim's versions with some new twists thown in.

It's two fans (teamed up with experienced professionals) that are behind the reboot, so you will find all the same basic ideas that worked so well in the original versions.

/Magnus

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Welcome back to Valiant! This 'new' line is really good - as magnusr said above, the teo main guys who relaunched the Valiant U are huge fans, and the new books have a heavy focus on being character & story-driven. They have taken great pains to distill & include all the best core concepts of the characters from their original runs, while bringing them into the modern day & adding a few new wrinkles that still respect what each title is all about.

It's really astounding, top quality material, better than anything the Big 2 are delivering these days. Personally I have quit reading all Marvel & all but one DC book. The Valiant U is where I intend to get my superhero fix, and I should say that none of these books feel like something so simple as a stereotypical superhero book.

There is deep continuity inherent in the titles so far, not that you must read them all to understand or enjoy a book individually, but time and care has been taken to build a cohesive universe from the ground floor up. Little details are placed in every book that help paint a larger picture if you are reading all 5 titles, but each one works very well as a stand alone read.

Currently there are two trades available for the new titles: XO volume 1 contains #1-4, and Harbinger Vol.1 contains #1-5. These are the new origin tales for each title, and each trade is only $9.99! Bloodshot Vol. 1 TPB is coming in February, and Archer & Armstrong is due in March, both will also be $9.99!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

Welcome :thumb:

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Hey Welcome and just strap in and enjoy it :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

Welcome! Valiant has the best books on the market with a strong management team and talented creators.
They have more than exceeded my expectations!
DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I guess a welcome back is more than appropriate.

The stories are fun - and relatively easy to find. Jump in - and where are you from in PA?
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

WarAngel

Post by WarAngel »

grendeljd wrote:Currently there are two trades available for the new titles: XO volume 1 contains #1-4, and Harbinger Vol.1 contains #1-5. These are the new origin tales for each title, and each trade is only $9.99! Bloodshot Vol. 1 TPB is coming in February, and Archer & Armstrong is due in March, both will also be $9.99!
Looks like I have an upcoming purchase. :D
kevinbastos wrote:I guess a welcome back is more than appropriate.

The stories are fun - and relatively easy to find. Jump in - and where are you from in PA?
Wallingford. Near Swarthmore, Media and Springfield.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Welcome!

I recommend the TPBs if you want to get up to speed fast. Knowledge of the previous Valiant universes aren't required, so it's been great for new readers like myself. It IS a lot of fun to read the old stuff and see the nods that the writers and artists give it.

All the books are excellent. They blow everything else out of the water - Harbinger is my favorite title, and I read some of the original Harbinger before the 2012 version. I liked it and thought it was probably a refreshing, more unique title back in the 90s, but I think the modern Harbinger surpassed it. Writing styles and art have changed significantly in the industry since then.

I read all the series, but def start getting Shadowman. #3 just came out and it is a great read.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Welcome and enjoy!
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

Welcome! :thumb:
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome.