My Valiant Story...From Batman to Bloodshot and More

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

obijuan
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: Rai 0
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Patrick Zircher
Re: My Valiant Story...From Batman to Bloodshot and More

Post by obijuan »

mkb28 wrote:Back in the early 90's I was collecting nothing but Batman titles. I was always curious/fascinated by some of the Valiant books (Bloodshot, X-O Manowar) but I never started to read or collect them. Batman was taking up all of my budget. I stopped collecting around 1997 or so when my first child was born. Now I have three kids between the ages of 8-14 and my old Batman collection was wasting away in my closet. I decided to divide up my comic books (5 long-boxes) to get them started on their own collection. I also began buying all of the "New 52" Batman titles for them and we have had a lot of fun piecing together the missing books from 1997 to 2011.

With my job, I get to travel throughout the midwest, so I get to visit some great comic book stores. In 2012 I noticed the Valiant re-launch and I picked up a copy of X-O Manowar #3 and I was hooked. I started collecting X-O and Bloodshot right away and then I decided to collect all of the new titles. What a great opportunity to collect an entire "Universe!" Harbinger is an awesome book too and I think my 14 year old son will love it. I have broadened my collection to include the old Valiant titles and I now have complete runs of X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Eternal Warrior, Ninjak, Shadowman, Secret Weapons, Armorines, H.A.R.D. Corps, and I am putting the finishing touches on Rai. My goal is to collect all the old books of any new title that Valiant is launching today. It has been a blast to read the old issues before checking out the new title. Zach from Day Dream Comics in Iowa turned me on to this website and Squirrel, X-omatic, and SonicDan have all helped me piece together my collection. I am forever grateful and I look forward to the future with Valiant!

It's funny, when I was younger and whenever I traveled and get to the hotel I'd always look in the phone book to check out the local comic book stores. Now, thanks to smart phones, I can check out the lcs in the area before I even get there. I love being able to visit other comic book stores. In one day, in Vegas I checked 4 comic book stores before checking into the hotel. I'm a geek I know.

Michael
mkb28
I also started my VH1 collection. I have a complete Rai 0-33 that I just picked up for 22.50. I have Solar complete, Magnus complete, Shadowman complete and Harbinger complete. I have few of the smaller run series. But I have my eye on a XO Manowar on eBay that's next on my list.

obijuan
Valiant fan since: Rai 0
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Patrick Zircher

Post by obijuan »

what the heck did I just do. I accidently put my comments right into Michael's quote. so sorry.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

obijuan wrote:what the heck did I just do. I accidently put my comments right into Michael's quote. so sorry.
It's fixed now, no big deal. Sometimes with longer posts, people forget to scroll down before typing their response.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

obijuan wrote:
mkb28 wrote:Back in the early 90's I was collecting nothing but Batman titles. I was always curious/fascinated by some of the Valiant books (Bloodshot, X-O Manowar) but I never started to read or collect them. Batman was taking up all of my budget. I stopped collecting around 1997 or so when my first child was born. Now I have three kids between the ages of 8-14 and my old Batman collection was wasting away in my closet. I decided to divide up my comic books (5 long-boxes) to get them started on their own collection. I also began buying all of the "New 52" Batman titles for them and we have had a lot of fun piecing together the missing books from 1997 to 2011.

With my job, I get to travel throughout the midwest, so I get to visit some great comic book stores. In 2012 I noticed the Valiant re-launch and I picked up a copy of X-O Manowar #3 and I was hooked. I started collecting X-O and Bloodshot right away and then I decided to collect all of the new titles. What a great opportunity to collect an entire "Universe!" Harbinger is an awesome book too and I think my 14 year old son will love it. I have broadened my collection to include the old Valiant titles and I now have complete runs of X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Eternal Warrior, Ninjak, Shadowman, Secret Weapons, Armorines, H.A.R.D. Corps, and I am putting the finishing touches on Rai. My goal is to collect all the old books of any new title that Valiant is launching today. It has been a blast to read the old issues before checking out the new title. Zach from Day Dream Comics in Iowa turned me on to this website and Squirrel, X-omatic, and SonicDan have all helped me piece together my collection. I am forever grateful and I look forward to the future with Valiant!

It's funny, when I was younger and whenever I traveled and get to the hotel I'd always look in the phone book to check out the local comic book stores. Now, thanks to smart phones, I can check out the lcs in the area before I even get there. I love being able to visit other comic book stores. In one day, in Vegas I checked 4 comic book stores before checking into the hotel. I'm a geek I know.

Michael
mkb28
I also started my VH1 collection. I have a complete Rai 0-33 that I just picked up for 22.50. I have Solar complete, Magnus complete, Shadowman complete and Harbinger complete. I have few of the smaller run series. But I have my eye on a XO Manowar on eBay that's next on my list.
Sounds like we have the same MO! Scout out all the stores before we travel and have fun searching the long boxes all evening long! Good luck with your collection. Check out DarqueArcher's full Valiant runs for sale in the Valiant WTS thread. Should beat the eBay prices.

Take care,

Michael