Just discovering Valiant...

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Mark Fuller
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Just discovering Valiant...

Post by Mark Fuller »

Hi there,

I just wanted to introduce myself in advance of posting on here from time to time.

My story is that I was getting seriously into comics in the early 90s around the time Valiant was first making it big in the early 90s. While I was aware of Valiant I never picked any comics up – it was Marvel and then Image all the way for me. Ahh, the follies of youth!

Anyway, skip forward a couple of decades and I’m still a big comic fan but a little less conservative in my tastes – I pick up a few Marvel and DCs but also an increasing amount of creator-owned work. On a curious whim I picked up the first issues of the new Valiant titles and have been hugely impressed. Good solid storytelling and great art. Who would have thought that would work?

One of the things I’ve most been attracted by is the possibility to get in on something from the ground up - the collector in me likes the idea of starting something there is every chance I’ll be able to keep up with. At least that was the idea before I discovered this site! Reading through the articles and commentary on here has given me an appetite to go back and look into the original books. So, the collector challenge I’ve set myself for the next year is to keep pace with all the printings and variants of the current run of Valiant titles, while building up a nice run of pre-unity books. Hopefully the guys at VEI will make this easy on me by not expanding too quickly!

I'd be interested to hear a realistic view froim those in the know on how much of a shot the new Valiant line has of succeeding. Do you get the impression that the company is well run and resourced enough to carefully build for the long term? And what does success realistically look like - how much market share are VEI aiming for?

That aside, I look forward to getting to know the board!

Mark

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Re: Just discovering Valiant...

Post by caxiotis »

Welcome Mark
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Mark Fuller wrote:Hi there,

I just wanted to introduce myself in advance of posting on here from time to time.

My story is that I was getting seriously into comics in the early 90s around the time Valiant was first making it big in the early 90s. While I was aware of Valiant I never picked any comics up – it was Marvel and then Image all the way for me. Ahh, the follies of youth!

Anyway, skip forward a couple of decades and I’m still a big comic fan but a little less conservative in my tastes – I pick up a few Marvel and DCs but also an increasing amount of creator-owned work. On a curious whim I picked up the first issues of the new Valiant titles and have been hugely impressed. Good solid storytelling and great art. Who would have thought that would work?

One of the things I’ve most been attracted by is the possibility to get in on something from the ground up - the collector in me likes the idea of starting something there is every chance I’ll be able to keep up with. At least that was the idea before I discovered this site! Reading through the articles and commentary on here has given me an appetite to go back and look into the original books. So, the collector challenge I’ve set myself for the next year is to keep pace with all the printings and variants of the current run of Valiant titles, while building up a nice run of pre-unity books. Hopefully the guys at VEI will make this easy on me by not expanding too quickly!

I'd be interested to hear a realistic view froim those in the know on how much of a shot the new Valiant line has of succeeding. Do you get the impression that the company is well run and resourced enough to carefully build for the long term? And what does success realistically look like - how much market share are VEI aiming for?

That aside, I look forward to getting to know the board!

Mark
Welcome.

Pre-Unity books are totally worth it, as are a few post Unity runs.

As far as VEI, they are very well run, having been purchased by two huge Valiant fans who hold the characters and company in the highest regard. They have surrounded themselves with talented editors like Warren Simons, former Wizard and Valiant publisher Fred Pierce, and a group of investors led by Peter Cuneo (formal Marvel exec). We all have high hopes that they can and will last long term.

As far as market shares/sales, there are several threads discussing that topic if you poke around enough. By the end of the year I think VALIANT is hoping to be above 1% of the market share (in units, not dollars since they will not start producing trades regularly yet). In July with 3 books on the shelf they were at .85% of units sold. Their eventual goal of 12-16 titles in 3 years, if successful, should land them in the top 5 publishers if sales hold in the 10k+ range on average.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

Welcome! :thumb:
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

dhudson1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: duh, X-O
Favorite writer: ditti
Favorite artist: all of them

Post by dhudson1 »

Welcome
'Cause I'm a man with
A whole lot on his mind
Just out there somewhere
Traveling in time

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

Welcome :thumb:

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Mark Fuller wrote:I'd be interested to hear a realistic view froim those in the know on how much of a shot the new Valiant line has of succeeding.
Mmm, I'd say that those "in the know" would be the least objective people to answer this question since they have an inherent bias.

Given adequate financing and good management (which they have), I'd say the best measure of potential success comes from people like you: new readers. Do you like the stories and art? If so, I'd say you've answered your own question.

If you're just interested in reading the Pre-Unity stuff, the cheapest solution would be to buy some of the TPBs. But if you're intent on collecting the originals, you have a fun hunt before you.

Welcome to the board! :thumb:

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Welcome and nice story :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Welcome!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

As for the OG Valiant, There are some VERY good books in there and I HIGHLY recommend hunting them down.

As for the success of Valiant now. The one thing I can say is that they have hired well. IMO, they have started better than I could have thought. I always thought success would come at around the 2 year mark.

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

Welcome

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Welcome! :thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Welcome aboard! :thumb:
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

missjay
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by missjay »

Welcome!

I just started reading Valiant this year too... starting with the old X-O (my husband's been collecting Valiant since the 90's) and since being together- was constantly searching for them at various comic book stores... unbeknownst to me at the time!

Hunting them down is very fun!

Mark Fuller

Post by Mark Fuller »

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! My Valiant habit seems to be growing - i'm doing a decent job of keeping up with all the new issues and Variants (with a few exceptions I may flag up on the trading board)

Now facing the dificult task of culling my overall pull list to make room in the budget.