My #0 Story and Re-discovering Valiant

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

deway81
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
My #0 Story and Re-discovering Valiant

Post by deway81 »

Hi, I’m another newb looking to share my Valiant experience. I’ve been a Valiant fan for many years and am proud to say that Valiant makes up the vast majority of my entire comic book collection. I’ve been super excited about the recent re-launch and love the fact that it has helped bring back so many great memories of when I first read the original books.

Like many, I was actually a little late to the original Valiant universe. I first got into comic books around 1991, being introduced to the medium through friends of mine. I was primarily a sports card collector up to that time, and my early experiences with comics were similar to cards in that a large part of the fun in collecting was coming up with deals and trading with friends.

As is pretty normal when first getting into comics, my friends and I started collecting Marvel. Everyone knows the main titles that were popular at the time - MacFarlane’s Spider-man, X-Men, X-Force, Ghost Rider, Wolverine, and my personal favorite, Darkhawk. When Image launched, we all began collecting Youngblood, Spawn, Shadowhawk, etc. and coveted those books above all others. As we all know now, Image was more style over substance and my interest eventually waned. I don’t remember the exact reason but I’m sure it was related to the poor stories and shipping delays that are now well documented.

I didn’t come across Valiant until I was at my LCS one day in late 92 and ran into a friend of my older brother. He suggested a comic called Bloodshot #1 and said it was currently the hottest comic on the market. He then opened up the comic to show me the first few pages which had Bloodshot blowing people away. I thought to myself that this must be what the cooler, older kids were reading. I went ahead and bought the book on his suggestion, thankful that there was no age restriction preventing an 11 year old from buying a comic I assumed was for a more mature audience. (Also, I have no idea how I ever came up with the $3.50 cover price back then).

After getting into Bloodshot, I slowly learned more about Valiant and how they were producing many of the most popular comics in the industry. I began to collect and read as many of their titles as I could but by that time most pre-Unity titles were already too expensive for me to acquire. However, I was slowly able to get all the Unity titles and began picking up as many of the newer issues as I could (probably with help from my brother who also started getting into collecting Valiant). I occasionally was able to pick up a few pre-Unity books which I was always most excited about. Here are a several things I remember most about this time during Valiant’s apex:

- Seemingly going to a comic show at one of the local malls every other month.
- Being super excited about getting X-O #5, Harbinger #5 and #6, and Solar #3 and #7. I coveted all the pre-Unity books I could get my hands on but these issues stood out to me.
- My brother buying Magnus #12 for something like $60 and the store clerk going into a rant about how he’d never pay the prices the hot Valiant titles were going for, saying he’d rather buy a vintage silver age comic.
- Being ecstatic when the first four issues of Harbinger and X-O were released as trades, since I finally had the opportunity to read those great stories and get fully caught up.
- Adding to the speculators market when X-O #14 was released. My brother and I bought 5 copies between us.
- Enjoying all the Valiant books with the exception of H.A.R.D. Corps which I could never get into. Sorry to any H.A.R.D. Corps fans.

As I entered middle school, I started to grow out of comics for a time but still kept my tabs on what was happening and would pick up an occasional issue. By early 94, I began noticing the value for Valiant comics had started to decline. One friend of mine even panicked and dumped his entire Valiant collection (which included many pre-Unity issues) in the summer of 94. I was never into comics solely for the value and ended up holding on to my collection.

In the spring of 96, I went back to my LCS and decided I would try to dig for missing issues in my collection. I was shocked to discover the prices had dropped even further. Issues which I had only seen as wall books were now under $10 and in normal back issue bins. It was at this time that I was able to finish off my pre-Unity collection. My jewel find was getting Harbinger #1 w/coupon for $8 at a store that had the same issue priced at $120 just three years before.

During my high school years, I wasn’t into collecting any new comics but I would always randomly go into a comic shop to see if they had any old Valiant issues available. If I ever came across a pre-unity Valiant issue at a decent price I would always pick it up. Unfortunately, it was also during this time that I learned the Valiant I had known was gone.

I was lucky to catch wind of Unity 2000 and Acclaim’s attempted reboot on one of my random trips into a comic store. In anticipation of a re-launched universe, I bought all issues of Shadowman Vol. 3 and Unity 2000, including an issue that turned out to be a pretty rare variant. I’m glad I had the opportunity to pick these up, not knowing at the time how small the print runs were. It was disappointing when finding out that the reboot was to be cancelled.

I think I discovered this website in the early 2000s and used it as a great resource to try and complete my collection. This website definitely drove me to seek out as many late run VH1 issues as I could. I am still thankful for getting most of my late Bloodshot and X-O issues at this time from local comic shops. After making a similar search of area stores recently, I found there is absolutely no chance of picking up any of those issues now. I’ve never been one to use eBay for getting comics but it’s starting to look like it may be the only option if I am ever to complete my collection. Hopefully I find as much enjoyment in the hunt for issues when it is done online.

I consider myself to be a devoted Valiant fan that has popped his head into the scene every few years to check on what is happening with the universe we all love. I’m extremely excited to have gotten back in right before the recent VEI re-launch and I am trying to support it as much as I can (although my wife may kill me if I continue to purchase expensive variants). With Valiant comics fully back, now is also the time for me to stop being a lurker and to come out and show my support.

Thanks.

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re: My #0 Story and Re-discovering Valiant

Post by iwantvaliant »

:thumb: Welcome to the boards!
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

Great story...welcome to the boards :thumb:

Darkhawk was one of my favorites too.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Awesome story. Reminds me a bunch of my story!
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

dhudson1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: duh, X-O
Favorite writer: ditti
Favorite artist: all of them

Post by dhudson1 »

welcome
'Cause I'm a man with
A whole lot on his mind
Just out there somewhere
Traveling in time

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Welcome to the board.

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

kevinbastos wrote:Awesome story. Reminds me a bunch of my story!
especially the part about the wife killing you, right? :D
Spooooon!!!!

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

:thumb:

Welcome

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Welcome back!

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Welcome! :thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Great story, I love listening to guys who were reading and collecting Valiant as kids (I was 28 back then). Comics are meant for kids and its a shame that the hobby has been priced out of their reach nowadays.

Plus you had a brother who was reading the same, that had to add something special. Most of my Valiant appreciation has been spent online with people I've never met.

Welcome aboard. :thumb:

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

Welcome :thumb:
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Welcome!
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

Welcome! Amazing how this one comic universe pulls us all back in, even 20 years after the fact the magic is still there.
AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com