Geocarr's 3,000th Post

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!
Geocarr's 3,000th Post

Post by geocarr »

This is long. Don't say I didn't warn you. :wink:

So I thought a good way to celebrate my 3,000th post would be to do write the story that I never wrote when I first joined the board.

My cousin Jason is 6 months older than me and I always beat him in wrestling but that has nothing to do with the story or with comics. Our mothers went grocery shopping together every Saturday morning and brought us with them. We always stopped at Gaddy Pharmacy after the grocery store to pick up grandma's medicine and so our mothers could exchange gossip with Aunt Nancy who worked there. Jason and I made a beeline for the spinner rack that I can still picture as vividly as I see what I am wearing right now and could point to the exact location of where it used to be if the store were still there ( :( ). We were allowed to pick one comic each and we didn't have long to make our selection because their frozen goods were thawing in the car (I'll never know why they didn't stop at the pharmacy before the grocery store). Comics were 35 cents then. I always favored the super hero comics and Jason often picked a DC horror comic. We would always read our comics on the way home and I always got picked on by Jason and the adults because I would read my comics backwards first and then re-read them starting at page one. I never really appreciated the value of self-contained story in one comic until now that it is such a rarity. I found some of my father's or somebody's old comics in my grandmother's house. I read as many comics as I could find and get my hands on until about age 13. I picked up a few, and I mean a few, here and there, as a teenager with a driver's license who shouldn't have one, from a gas station spinner rack while I was out on the town on the weekend chasing girls and booze. Ultimately and regrettably, girls and booze became more important during those years than comics.

Mom and Dad lovingly shipped me off to North Carolina State University in 1991 to follow in my other older cousin's footsteps and become a mechanical engineer and I tried to comply. I was a little country mouse from a high school of 400 people including the janitor in a city of over half a million and at a school of about 28,000 students. Before the end of the first semester, I found not one, but two comic book stores within walking distance of my dorm. I had never imagined that such paradises existed.

Foundations Edge was very neatly organized with limited back issues and a section of science fiction paperback novels. It was managed by a guy named Rick who I remember seeming standoffish at first but later became semi-friends with. Rick was a nice guy, slightly overweight, had jet black hair, adn struggled with a medical condition that I can't remember the name of anymore. He had a pretty girlfriend too that I thought was nothing short of a miracle for a comic book geek.

The other store was Capitol Comics and was divided basically into three sequential rooms of worsening chaos and madness. The first room you entered had the new comics, well organized Marvel and DC back issues, posters, T-shirts, graphic novels, display cabinets with trading cards and statues, pullboxes, and the cash register. From there, you walked down 2 or 3 steps into the second room that contained all the other mostly organized back issues from all other publishers that weren't Marvel or DC. This room connected to the bathroom. Three of the walls of this room were lined with stacked longboxes and other boxes containing God knows what if you were brave, stong, and had the time and stamina to look through them. This is the room where every thief would try to hide their booty. The staff and others who either couldn't read, didn't care, or wanted to risk their lives went into the third room. It was lined on 3 sides with floor to ceiling primitive 2x4 and plywood shelving that held more longboxes and comics than I had ever seen in my life. And non of the boxes were labeled. Their contents were a complete mystery. OSHA would have had a field day, video recorded it, and used it as a training video and public service announcement. There should have been a "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" sign. If you went missing back there, no one was going to look for you - seriously. There was a table where they sorted the new comics every Wednesday. We use the word "plunder" a lot in the South and I don't know if that is unique to us. Maybe everyone uses it. Well I plundered the hell out that entire store for hours every day when I wasn't in class. The owner, Ken, gave me a job by Spring semester 1992 and offered me a pay choice every week of some cash hourly wage or trade labor for comics at a rate of $1 higher than the cash rate plus a 30% discount off comics. Ken was a banker prior to his illustrious career as an LCS owner and always had a Joker smile every time he talked to anyone, and I remember when his daughter was born. That was a no-brainer to me at the time. I bought a lot of comics folks. I had the best and funnest job that I had ever had and probably ever will have.

I worked with Russ, the older, big semi-creepy, teddy bear of a man with a long, unkept, scraggly beard who knew more about the history of comics and had met more creators than I ever will but annoyed the hell out of most customers and just had *SQUEE* poor communication and salesman skills. He was a genuine nice guy though and I wished I had paid more attention to what he trying to teach me about comics back then. We went to a small comics show in Greensboro one time and Russ introduced me to George Evans and All Williamson who both drew me sketches of a WWI biplane and a Luke and Darth Vader lightsaber battle scene that I never even asked for and that I still have. I had no idea who either of those guys were or their significance to comics until much later.

I remember the line outside the store and WRAL Channel 5 news being there the day Superman #75 was released for the "Death of Superman". My store did not order heavy on Valiant until Unity and prices were starting to climb high and fast. Foundations Edge had a sale and they had a lot of early Valiant comics and there were a lot of people wanting the same books. I grabbed as many as I could and remember almost tearing down the upper shelf that held the more valuable books trying to get an early Rai before someone else. I was hooked and subscribed to every Valiant title, thought Unity was better than Shakespeare, and eventually had Ken broker a deal for me for a Pink Harbinger #0 for $175 (which might be the most I have ever paid for a comic other than maybe a first print of Bone #1). I saw the rise and fall of Valiant, Image Comics, Sin City, Turok #1, Sandman, Starman, Hellboy, Bone, and all the rest of the best and worst that the mid-90's drowned in. It was glorious.

I attended two Heroes Con in Charlotte, NC - once with my father and the next year with my mother. Again, I never knew such a paradise existed and awaited my arrival. I also had no idea of proper etiquette and would take stacks of 20 - 50 books at a time to creators to sign and wonder why others were making faces and remarks behind me. Wasn't this why the artists were there? I had no clue. My father bought me a sketchbook and encouraged me to ask artists to draw in it for me. I thought this was a novel idea and was completely amazed when they agreed (I still have that too!) I have a Jackson Guice Superman whch is only special because I hounded the sh!t out of that man for three days to get him to agree to that sketch. I have a *SQUEE* Giordano Batman and a George Perez Batman. I have pictures with John Romita Sr., his wife, and their son, John Romita Jr., and my mother's thumb.

But all good things come to an end. I failed miserably in Engineering, had a near death car accident, took a semester off, changed majors to Social Work, started doing internships and volunteering, and stopped reading comics. But I kept buying them in mass quantities for a while more out of habit than anything else. My subscriptions gradually dwindled from 50 monthly titles plus an order list from Previews each month and I woke up one day in the late 90's and realized I had over 15 longboxes. I stopped cold turkey and never looked back.

I graduated on the 6 1/2 year plan with a Bachelor in Social Work with 3 minors and worked with a non-profit serving persons living with HIV/AIDS from 1997 to 2002. My girlfriend and I moved to Spokane, WA in 2002 where I completed my Masters in Social Work and our first child was born and all 3 of us lived completely off my student loans (yep, still paying 'em off). My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer in about October 2003 and we moved back to NC in March 2004 and bought and moved into our current house on Thanksgiving Day 2004. Our house was built in 1880 and we thought it would be a great idea to remodel since we were young and didn't mind the work. Don't ever do that. I always wondered why people tore down old houses and replaced them with double-wides and modulars. I completely understand now and my wife took a little longer but she does too now I married my girlfriend and the mother of my now three children in 2005. For Christmas 2006, my wonderful wife gives me - Absolute Batman: Hush. It had been about 8 years since I had a new comic and it was the same effect you would expect if you'd have given a pint of Jack Daniels to an alcoholic who'd been sober for 8 years. I found the closest LCS about 35 minutes away, got on a first name basis with the two dudes there, Eddie and Adam, and kept it to $50 a month or less. Then I started picking up the Previews. Then I spent about $500 at a sale Eddie had (and picked up some great books!).

I can't remember how I remembered Valiant, but I searched Ebay and quickly discovered that I could buy Pink Harbinger #0's for $50 all day long. A rational person would be upset knowing I paid $175 but I was ecstatic and bought everything Pre-Unity in sight. I eventually did a google search and ended up at Ryan's Valiant Collectors Society message board where RQB and I didn't get off on the right foot (and it wasn't his fault, he's a good guy). Ryan stepped in and was the awesome guy that he is (guy should be a friggin' negotiator or diplomat) and I kept coming back. I joined this site and lurked for a while and I remember I tried to make a joke to Knightt in a thread and it was misinterpreted and I kinda got jumped on by two or three members but I had thicker internet skin by then and kept trying to write better posts and like to think I've goten pretty good at it over the last 5 years.

My comic addiction returned to whole new level with the help of all the information available on this site and I became a completionist and art collector. I think I have bought something from almost everyone who's sold anything on this board in the last 5 years. Sometimes I bought because I wanted the item(s) but often it was as much to help out a member as it was to get another book, art, poster, etc. I have been "working on" an idea for a board fan project that I received permission and approval for from Dino and Greg years ago but I am concurrently shooting for the record for the project that took the longest time. My wife and I decided to thin my collection and I have started selling books in recent months to many members and will continue for a while. My next goal is to create a gallery thread and post pics of my OA on comicartfans.com. :hope: I read probably about 70% of the threads and feel a connection to most of you and really enjoy readng your opinions on government, politics, headlines, random images, and comics. This site and board is a place of solace, relaxation, safety, comfort, and joy for me and I hope it's around for a long time to come.

I think it's kind of cool that I was there when Valiant started in 1991 and I hit my 3,000th post when Valiant returned in 2012. 8-)

I didn't really expect anyone to read this far, but if you have, thanks. You now know this part of me better than anyone but less than a handful of people. And Greg, thanks for making this place possible so I could share my Valiant story. I'm looking forward to the next 3,000 posts and a lot more good Valiant stories. :thumb:

Edited to avoid a very awful non-family-friendly custom.
Last edited by geocarr on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:55:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Support your local farmers!***

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Re: Geocarr's 3,000th Post

Post by betterthanezra »

I read the whole thing and I think you're a class act. :thumb:

Congrats on the post milestone but really thanks for being a valuable member of this message boards :clap:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

betterthanezra wrote:I read the whole thing and I think you're a class act. :thumb:

Congrats on the post milestone but really thanks for being a valuable member of this message boards :clap:

-Brian
+1

/Magnus

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

:thumb:
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Great story. Who wouldn't finish it?
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

Great read...congrats on 3000! :clap:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

kevinbastos wrote:Great story. Who wouldn't finish it?
+1!! Fantastic story :)

I can identify with your fond early memories of pharmacy store comic shopping - I did the same and fought with my cousin over who would get what sometimes... I recall fighting over a Strikeforce Morituri #4, claiming the right to get it because I already had a #3, lol
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Nice story and congrats on number 3,000.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I enjoyed the post. Congrats on the 3K!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

geocarr wrote:I had never imagined that suck paradises existed.
You don't know how hard I'm fighting the urge to make that your custom title.

kevinbastos
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

greg wrote:

This would be the greatest custom ever.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

kevinbastos wrote:
greg wrote:

Hahaha....do it.

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:
greg wrote:

Hahaha....do it.
:o I think I will simply be grateful that you chose something a little more family friendly. But that was damn funny. Those pesky Freudian slips.
***Support your local farmers!***

MarrowMan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite character: ShadowMan
Favorite title: ShadowMan
Favorite writer: Dysart, Jordan

Post by MarrowMan »

great story :clap:

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

Awesome Story! 8-)
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Not sure how I missed this before. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

suck paradises . . . :lol:

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Great story, George and congratulations on the milestone!

Now...stop posting and get a life. :lol:

Carson
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Carson »

geocarr wrote: Before the end of the first semester, I found not one, but two comic book stores within walking distance of my dorm. I had never imagined that such paradises existed.

Foundations Edge was very neatly organized with limited back issues and a section of science fiction paperback novels. It was managed by a guy named Rick who I remember seeming standoffish at first but later became semi-friends with. Rick was a nice guy, slightly overweight, had jet black hair, adn struggled with a medical condition that I can't remember the name of anymore. He had a pretty girlfriend too that I thought was nothing short of a miracle for a comic book geek.

I remember the line outside the store and WRAL Channel 5 news being there the day Superman #75 was released for the "Death of Superman". My store did not order heavy on Valiant until Unity and prices were starting to climb high and fast. Foundations Edge had a sale and they had a lot of early Valiant comics and there were a lot of people wanting the same books. I grabbed as many as I could and remember almost tearing down the upper shelf that held the more valuable books trying to get an early Rai before someone else. I was hooked and subscribed to every Valiant title, thought Unity was better than Shakespeare, and eventually had Ken broker a deal for me for a Pink Harbinger #0 for $175 (which might be the most I have ever paid for a comic other than maybe a first print of Bone #1). I saw the rise and fall of Valiant, Image Comics, Sin City, Turok #1, Sandman, Starman, Hellboy, Bone, and all the rest of the best and worst that the mid-90's drowned in. It was glorious.

I attended two Heroes Con in Charlotte, NC - once with my father and the next year with my mother. Again, I never knew such a paradise existed and awaited my arrival .
Congrats on the 3000!

What are the odds?!! I shop at Foundations Edge weekly! I know Rick well and have become good friends with Dan, who will one day own the shop (I am certain of this). I too found Rick a little standoffish, until Dan and I started developing a comic of our own. Dan showed him my designs for the first five characters (five brothers) and next time I went in, Rick did a 180! He helped me dig out a bunch of George Perez Teen Titans back issues and gave me a great discount.

Any way, it's a small world! I too loved heroes in Charlotte, and spent way too much completing my valiant collection there as a teenager.

Where do you live now? Ever make it back to NC?

Carson

PS. I've attached a link to my character designs for the Murphy brothers

AKA "The Anti-Chartist: he who made Charty go Sharty"
---------------------
Valiant Fan # 2021
---------------------
G.I. Joe Fan #1
http://www.3DJoes.com

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

Thanks for sharing and congrats on reaching 3,000! :thumb:
If I just can't be me ,and the Arrow isn't enough.. then maybe I should be Ra's al Ghul

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Great Read! Always a pleasure! :thumb:
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^