You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1, 1991
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart, Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Lupacchino, BWS, Lapham

Post by bamaphilosopher »

Hey, welcome! I just joined a couple of weeks ago, and also had a lot to get off my chest. I had loved Valiant since picking up Magnus #1, thanks to a friend, and was there almost to the demise of VH1. I'm now trying to collect some of the few remaining VH1 titles I don't have.

Like you, I was disgusted with the "let's shake everything up" attitude that pervaded the latter days of Valiant. Unfortunately, they didn't know the adage, "When it ain't broke, don't fix it." I agree about Harbinger and the death of Shanhara in X-O, as you mentioned. Magnus also started to suck after the Malev War, and they fast-forwarded everything 20 or so years into the future. It's like all of their titles started going into the gutter, around the time of Birthquake (though some, like Magnus, started their decline before then).

Also, I think Valiant made a mistake in trying to expand beyond 8-10 titles, and ended up putting out junk like Psi-Lords. Also, getting rid of Geoff and getting a new Geomancer... They were just messing up stuff left and right.

The Rai stories you mention are good, but I still think they should have reconstituted a new Rai based on the first one, which I think was the best.

Actually, as I posted on here before, the new Harbingers aren't all that bad, once you read all the issues. But again, you are right that they made a mistake in disbanding the old team. I think they still should have dealt with Sting in the background after 25, instead of pulling that "Visitor" stunt.

It is sad to see some of the crap they put out, like Archer and Armstrong issues after Barry Windsor-Smith left, some of the later Secret Weapons stuff, Psi-Lords, etc.

But I still appreciate all the classic stories that made Valiant great. Anyway, it's good for us all to vent, no?

Again, welcome to the boards!