Hello fellow Valiant fans!!!!

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

violentmarv
Working on the first full appearance of me
Hello fellow Valiant fans!!!!

Post by violentmarv »

I just registered so I thought that I would write a message to introduce myself. I am one of the original Valiant fans. I am proud to say that I got in on the ground floor of their action line by purchasing Magnus #1. What an amazing run it was in the beginning! They couldn't put out a bad series if they wanted to! Magnus, Solar, X-O and the rest of the early series were great! My favorites were X-O and Archer and Armstrong. I was a senior in high school when the Valiant back issues really started to take off in value. I'm happy that I sold all of my valiant issues for big bucks when they were at their peak value. I had alot of partying to get out of my system so they really helped me out. I have been buying back issues out of the quarter bins over the past year and am only a small handfull of issues away from completing my collection of Valiant comics.(I'm only interested in issues printed from Magnus #1- early post Unity continuity) I sold high and am now buying low! I'm going to go back and reread everything soon and am very excited about reliving the creation of this universe. It was so exciting when it was first coming out. Watching all of the pieces of the puzzle slowoly come together, reading Jim Shooter's columns every month and meeting great new characters. They definitly had a plan and it looked like we were reading the creation of the next great comic universe! Shooter and BWS were going to be like my generations Lee-Kirby. Plus we had Bob Layton and David Lapham! But alas, it was not meant to be. It is really sad to think of what could have been. I look forward to talking to my fellow valiant fans and if you have any questions about me please feel free to ask!
Last edited by violentmarv on Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:42:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
violentmarv

Eric Jackson
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Eric Jackson »

Welcome. Not certain I agree with the no bad tiltles comment though. ;)

violentmarv

Post by violentmarv »

Which would you say were bad? I think everything was good until Bloodshot.
violentmarv

Eric Jackson
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Eric Jackson »

there was a topic on this before that is an interesting read.

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

tbrezz
Long Live Valiant
Long Live Valiant
Valiant fan since: Harbinger 17 May 1993
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by tbrezz »

Hola Welcome aboard
Long Live Valiant Because the Voices in My Head Say So
Brandon

BodaZoffa
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by BodaZoffa »

Die Noob, Die...!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Just kidding. Welcome to the Valiant Funhouse. :D

Boda

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Welcome aboard. Maybe you can get a tattoo like the rest of us. Knightt's is on his butt.

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

:thumb:
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

have fun!...peruse the site...lots of great stuff here!
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Welcome to the site...

When I started "re-collecting" Valiant, I also decided that I would just
go for the pre-Unity books, Unity books, and maybe a few post-Unity issues from 1992.

Let's just say I wound up with "a few" more Valiant books than I had intended. :wink:

Escaflown4
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

greg wrote:Welcome to the site...

When I started "re-collecting" Valiant, I also decided that I would just
go for the pre-Unity books, Unity books, and maybe a few post-Unity issues from 1992.

Let's just say I wound up with "a few" more Valiant books than I had intended. :wink:
LOL guess we all have the same syndrome. I admit when I first wanted to get back into Valiants, I've said to myself not to totally get myself back into comics. So alright, let me go assemble all the Pre-Unities and bail out. After a while, I found myself hoarding copies here and there and filtering out the bad copies. Now I literally got an entire long box full of near mint pre-unity books and more are on their way in shipping transit. I literally have enough copies to assemble a few complete sets of Pre-Unity books. Afterwards, I found myself going after a childhood goal and that is to assemble a complete full run of Uncanny X-Men. I know that will take years, but the point I'm trying to make is comic collecting is so addicting. Once you're in, YOU ARE IN period.

Hehe ooops I went :offtopic: . Anyways Violentmarv, welcome to the boards and take a look at the For Sale section if you need any help with Pre-Unity books. :applause:

pta391
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by pta391 »

Hi there I too am a rookie on the site, and very lazy so rather than creating my own post I thought i would take a minute and ride the coat tails of this post and introduce myself.
I have been collecting Valiant books since Solar#22 came out when I was in seventh grade. Joe Quesada's cover of Solar and Master Darque stood out on my comic book guy's rack like the golden fleece on a marshals rack.... and what a start it was... Right away i was introduced to one of my favorite baddies ever... Master Darque...
I agree with my fellow rookie that valiant produced no bad as I myself have found some amusement in all of their books, if only in collecting them, but to be fair the Unity saga and pre unity were among the best stories in comics ever. The hype of a possible return of the Valiant Charactors sparked my intrest and I found this site. Now after a week of observing the boards I thought it was time to jump in.
So can anyone tell me if the Master Darque brew was any good, or did you all keep it "intact" in the bottle?
lousy roman pigs

Escaflown4
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

pta391 wrote:Hi there I too am a rookie on the site, and very lazy so rather than creating my own post I thought i would take a minute and ride the coat tails of this post and introduce myself.
I have been collecting Valiant books since Solar#22 came out when I was in seventh grade. Joe Quesada's cover of Solar and Master Darque stood out on my comic book guy's rack like the golden fleece on a marshals rack.... and what a start it was... Right away i was introduced to one of my favorite baddies ever... Master Darque...
I agree with my fellow rookie that valiant produced no bad as I myself have found some amusement in all of their books, if only in collecting them, but to be fair the Unity saga and pre unity were among the best stories in comics ever. The hype of a possible return of the Valiant Charactors sparked my intrest and I found this site. Now after a week of observing the boards I thought it was time to jump in.
So can anyone tell me if the Master Darque brew was any good, or did you all keep it "intact" in the bottle?
Hey welcome to the boards pta391, seems like we got an influx of fans coming back into the Valiant universe lately. Well in answer to your question, I've never drank the Darque brew, but I heard it taste just like ordinary beer. Just wanna give you a heads up that if you're considering to get the pre-unity books, you should do so now. I've been noticing alot of activity lately on ebay for these books. There seems to be tons of new faces putting in bids and the last few Pre-Unity lots went higher then average. But the prices are still cheap now compared to the early 90's. So jump on them before you find yourself back in the early 90's predicament. :thumb:

pta391

Post by pta391 »

I think i only need like 10 more pre-unity books at most....mainy Magnus#12 and Solar 7-9.. after that I think Im only missing the later issues, seems like the print run was even lower at the end....very sad.....but hey I have been doing this for 11+ years I am patient enough to wait out this surge in intrest....It can only last so long.....

Thanks for the info though i try to avoid ebay auctions, I would much rather trade for what i need with other people who appreciate the comics or rummage through the quarter bins to find what im looking for.... Some guy at a convention actually wanted $50 for the Magnus #12.."it's pre-unity" he said... I know i told him, but how long have you had it sitting there at that price, he said he lowered it from 80 in 1999, I said considering it is still sitting there and it is now 2004 you may want to think about another price reduction....

My point being is I dont want pay a large amount of money for something that is no longer in circulation, especially when the only people who want it are people who truely love the product. It is "investment collector" trying to make a heafty profit from the sale of these books taht led to the demise of Valiant, and almost comics in general in the nineties....

Or we could chalk it up to the fact that im cheap...either way works for me....
lousy roman pigs

whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

pta391 wrote:I think i only need like 10 more pre-unity books at most....mainy Magnus#12 and Solar 7-9.. after that I think Im only missing the later issues, seems like the print run was even lower at the end....very sad.....but hey I have been doing this for 11+ years I am patient enough to wait out this surge in intrest....It can only last so long.....

Thanks for the info though i try to avoid ebay auctions, I would much rather trade for what i need with other people who appreciate the comics or rummage through the quarter bins to find what im looking for.... Some guy at a convention actually wanted $50 for the Magnus #12.."it's pre-unity" he said... I know i told him, but how long have you had it sitting there at that price, he said he lowered it from 80 in 1999, I said considering it is still sitting there and it is now 2004 you may want to think about another price reduction....

My point being is I dont want pay a large amount of money for something that is no longer in circulation, especially when the only people who want it are people who truely love the product. It is "investment collector" trying to make a heafty profit from the sale of these books taht led to the demise of Valiant, and almost comics in general in the nineties....

Or we could chalk it up to the fact that im cheap...either way works for me....
:lol: A great post all around. I think you stumbled upon a greedy seller who was looking for a ridiculous price from suckers. Even regulars on this board would only pay $12-15 tops. Hey, were all cheap here :p I'm looking for some 70-80 runs of comics and I have 3 sets of pre-unity books. I'm sure other board memebers are the same way. Just let us know.
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Nice avatar!

I can't tell you about the Darque Brew but Dino did crack open an Armstrong Ale a few years ago. He said it tasted like a Bud.

pta391

Post by pta391 »

Armstrong ale tasting like bud!!????

some how i think that might offend Aram...I always thought he liked quality booze... but then again he loved to party so he probably wouldn't have cared... as long as he got drunk!

the avatar-best one i saw Armstrong's adventures were some of Valiants finer moments
lousy roman pigs

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

violentmarv,

Greetings fellow Valiant fan! Nice to know you are not alone huh?

violentmarv

Post by violentmarv »

It feels great to know that I'm not alone! I work in a comic shop and I spend alot of time defending my choice in comics including Valiant. It's funny how some people have forgotten how good the early issues are. Of course most of the people who knock them never tried them in the first place. I try not to knock anything that I haven't tried. Obviously alot of people disagree with me.
violentmarv

violentmarv

Post by violentmarv »

Oh by the way, I posted some issues that I'm looking for over in the buy/sell/trade forum. Go check it out guys.
violentmarv