My Valiant Tale

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

OC_Architect
Working on the first full appearance of me
My Valiant Tale

Post by OC_Architect »

Probably like most others when Valiant was getting started I was spending all of my time and money on the big two publishers at the time - DC and Marvel. There was some good stuff going on back then and I really enjoyed the Silver Surfer and yes the X-Men from Marvel and was getting in to LEGION and JLA over at DC. Through it all, however, I kept seeing these ads for these two strange fellows named Archer and Armstrong and for some reason their tag line (square pegs living in a round world) just stuck with me. That and the ads I kept seeing for Unity and the look of the characters just struck me as interesting.
So, I did a little research found out what this Valiant thing was about and found out that Unity was actually starting with AA #1 and so at that point decided to make the plunge and found that I really loved the books! Luckily or unluckily I started picking up back issues that I needed to fill in the back story of Unity and was able to pick up almost everything I needed.

I am primarily a Shooter fan of the Valiant Universe and pretty much keep my collection to that era with a few exceptions such as the entire BWS run on AA and the entire Lapham run on Harbinger plus a few other stragglers here and there. I continued to purchase and read even after Shooter 'left' but it is strange to think back and you could tell a marked change in direction in the line as soon as he was gone. With the success of all the Valiant incentives and all the other publishers jumping on the bandwagon really created an unhealthy situation out in the market place and really drove me out of collecting and reading comics for close to 5 years. I still hung on to all my Valiants because if nothing else the stories were top notch and just a blast to read. They had a bit of an innocence to them that were so different than what everyone else was doing at the time. After Shooter it seemed like they wanted to make the comics more like everything else with grittier characters and an emphasis on art over story. The magic was certainly gone and while I am glad they are getting going again and even with Shooter involved I am not sure if that magic will ever return. I hope it does.
That is my tale for what its worth. :)
RM

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Re: My Valiant Tale

Post by TKWill »

OC_Architect wrote:Probably like most others when Valiant was getting started I was spending all of my time and money on the big two publishers at the time - DC and Marvel. There was some good stuff going on back then and I really enjoyed the Silver Surfer and yes the X-Men from Marvel and was getting in to LEGION and JLA over at DC. Through it all, however, I kept seeing these ads for these two strange fellows named Archer and Armstrong and for some reason their tag line (square pegs living in a round world) just stuck with me. That and the ads I kept seeing for Unity and the look of the characters just struck me as interesting.
So, I did a little research found out what this Valiant thing was about and found out that Unity was actually starting with AA #1 and so at that point decided to make the plunge and found that I really loved the books! Luckily or unluckily I started picking up back issues that I needed to fill in the back story of Unity and was able to pick up almost everything I needed.

I am primarily a Shooter fan of the Valiant Universe and pretty much keep my collection to that era with a few exceptions such as the entire BWS run on AA and the entire Lapham run on Harbinger plus a few other stragglers here and there. I continued to purchase and read even after Shooter 'left' but it is strange to think back and you could tell a marked change in direction in the line as soon as he was gone. With the success of all the Valiant incentives and all the other publishers jumping on the bandwagon really created an unhealthy situation out in the market place and really drove me out of collecting and reading comics for close to 5 years. I still hung on to all my Valiants because if nothing else the stories were top notch and just a blast to read. They had a bit of an innocence to them that were so different than what everyone else was doing at the time. After Shooter it seemed like they wanted to make the comics more like everything else with grittier characters and an emphasis on art over story. The magic was certainly gone and while I am glad they are getting going again and even with Shooter involved I am not sure if that magic will ever return. I hope it does.
RM
Glad to have you. Looks like quite a few of us were forced away when thing swent crazy only to return to Valiant. Good Story :thumb: .

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Welcome :thumb:

equulus
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by equulus »

Welcome

Lee

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Hola compadre....

Nice to have another dude from So. Ca. on the boards.

The OC is nice a place. Are you close to Mickey?

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Welcome to the bored!

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

OC_Architect wrote: After Shooter it seemed like they wanted to make the comics more like everything else with grittier characters and an emphasis on art over story. The magic was certainly gone and while I am glad they are getting going again and even with Shooter involved I am not sure if that magic will ever return. I hope it does.
RM
Yeah, it was a down hill slide for Valiant after Jim got the boot. At least the new VU is heading down the right path by getting the main man himself to do a project. Hopefully he'll sign on for a lot more.

btw, welcome to the board.

96Valiantfan
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by 96Valiantfan »

OC_Architect

Post by OC_Architect »

Thanks for the welcome everybody...
Elveen, I am actually a bit further south. More close to the former Raging Waters than mouse land, although I probably spend more time with MM than Raging Waters.
It is nice to see Valiant coming back in some form and I will probably be picking up the Harbinger TPB. I can't say I really like the previews of the new coloring job they did on it. It could just be me but it looks too slick for my tastes. It sounds like they got JJ to oversee the whole thing and I really enjoyed her work back in the day.
RM

Zero
I discovered platinum in Indiana.
I discovered platinum in Indiana.

Post by Zero »

ibreakhorses
...it has been down hill ever since.
...it has been down hill ever since.

Post by ibreakhorses »

Welcome! :thumb:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Welcome abroad!

-slym

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by The Harbinger »

:thumb:

mobstirr
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by mobstirr »

Welcome! :thumb:

worldsbestcomics
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set? Done.
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set?  Done.

Post by worldsbestcomics »

Welcome! A lot of us "returnees" have found a home on this site.

*SQUEE*
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by *SQUEE* »

The Harbinger

Post by The Harbinger »

welcome

cinlach@aol.com
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

slym2none wrote:Welcome abroad!

-slym
that was kind of sexist...i'm severely offended.

:D

by the way, welcome...
WWSLJD, MF?

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

cinlach@aol.com wrote:
slym2none wrote:Welcome abroad!

-slym
I'm severely offended.
Get in line.