How it all transpired

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

gavster
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
How it all transpired

Post by gavster »

My story is quite simple. I started collecting Valiant comics at the time of Harbinger #1. I remember walking into "Comic Showcase" down Neal Street in central London, (Now closed) and picking it of the top shelf, thinkng "Hmm, it's a #1, why not give it a go". I read it and thought its was quite good. Then my LCS guy had loads of the stuff on his wall which I soon snapped up as the story's ran into each other.

I had a friend at the time who told me to sell all the comics, at the time of the great modern age crash, but I resisted as I thought it was wrong.

I then lost the faith as Valiant worked up to Chaos Effect, leaving school and having to get a real job interfiered with my hobby and buying any comics stopped.

A wife and 15 years later, I had to clear out all my long box's from my Mums home. I collected them and look at them again (2006) and realise that they are great comics, I had a good collection of most titles! I researched and found this site (Thank the Lord).

Then I see and understand what CGC is as I missed the launch, that is when the disease set in. I submitted many of my books and started a pre-unity set which is going well. It hit's the old wallet quite hard as most of my collection would graded at 9.6.

My only challenge now is convincing my wife that the really expensive stuff is really worth it. So far so good.
:D

gavster
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by gavster »

I then started collecting and CGC'ing the golds, variants, as well as pre-unity. I then realised that I was not made of money and focused on only Pre -Unity. :mad:

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Subliminal messages - that is the ticket. They'll convince her of the necessity of your collection.

How is life treating you in Hawaii?
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

gavster
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by gavster »

Yeah, its all in the way I tell her about the slabs that I need, grovelling, future investment potential, or "If I buy this you can have a Gucci handbag!"

Hawaii is great fricking hot, sandy beaches and the new kiddy (three months old today) is doing well, paper work is in the system, so long so good.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

gavster wrote:Yeah, its all in the way I tell her about the slabs that I need, grovelling, future investment potential, or "If I buy this you can have a Gucci handbag!"

Hawaii is great fricking hot, sandy beaches and the new kiddy (three months old today) is doing well, paper work is in the system, so long so good.
I frequently encourage my fiancee to spend money on herself as that (in my mind) frees up my comics buying in terms of acceptability... :oops:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Re: How it all transpired

Post by Daniel Jackson »

gavster wrote:I then lost the faith as Valiant worked up to Chaos Effect,
Yeah, that was the jumping off point for a lot of fans.

worldsbestcomics
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set? Done.
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set?  Done.

Post by worldsbestcomics »

gavster wrote:My story is quite simple. I started collecting Valiant comics at the time of Harbinger #1. I remember walking into "Comic Showcase" down Neal Street in central London, (Now closed) and picking it of the top shelf, thinkng "Hmm, it's a #1, why not give it a go". I read it and thought its was quite good. Then my LCS guy had loads of the stuff on his wall which I soon snapped up as the story's ran into each other.

I had a friend at the time who told me to sell all the comics, at the time of the great modern age crash, but I resisted as I thought it was wrong.

I then lost the faith as Valiant worked up to Chaos Effect, leaving school and having to get a real job interfiered with my hobby and buying any comics stopped.

A wife and 15 years later, I had to clear out all my long box's from my Mums home. I collected them and look at them again (2006) and realise that they are great comics, I had a good collection of most titles! I researched and found this site (Thank the Lord).

Then I see and understand what CGC is as I missed the launch, that is when the disease set in. I submitted many of my books and started a pre-unity set which is going well. It hit's the old wallet quite hard as most of my collection would graded at 9.6.

My only challenge now is convincing my wife that the really expensive stuff is really worth it. So far so good.
:D
The bargaining with the wife is often harder than he bargaining for a comic. Lucky for me, my wife encourages me in my collecting because she knows how happy it makes me. But, she does feel better about sales than purchases or trades...

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Welcome :thumb:

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Welcome indeed :thumb:

-Brian

mobstirr
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by mobstirr »

:thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Cool story G-ster.

and for the record..... Hola compadre :thumb:

Rufusharley
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!

Post by Rufusharley »

Nice story :thumb: