TKW's VALIANT Story - I thought I did one of these

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
TKW's VALIANT Story - I thought I did one of these

Post by TKWill »

Well, I could have sworn that I had done one of these, but I guess not.

I grew up with military parents and moved around alot. My father was in the Air Force and we were stationed in New Mexico, Texas, and Colorado. As with most boys my age I had an obsession with all things involving robots and guns. Star Wars, G.I. Joes, Transformers, Go-Bots (argh!) and He-man were the toys of choice for me, I dabbled with comics rarely. The first comic that I can remember having is Tales of the Legion of Superheroes #347 in 1987. The only bad thing about collecting stuff when your folks are in the military is that when it came time to move I had to decide what I was going to keep and what I was going to throw away or sell. Unfortunately, Star Wars were the first to go, yeah they were cool, but Joe was cooler (what an idiot). Near the final move in 1992 I had gotten rid of all of my toys, I was 14 what did I need toys for and had moved on towards a new hobby, that became comics.

I made new friends when we moved back to Texas and they were collecting comics, those were sad days in comics and it was really mind blowing. Variants all the time, big money was starting to be realized in stuff that I could get actually get ahokd of at cover price, if I played it smart. The only problem was that I have an inability to sell comics. After all I learned the hard way with Star Wars toys that you should hold on to collectibles (I would soon realize the truth about speculation). I had no rhyme or reason as to shat I was buying, years later when I was doing a database of my collection I realized that I was no better than the speculators I loathed so much for driving the prices up. One of good friends was in the know on what was hot and he would recommend things for me to buy. I picked up Scud when it came out on his suggestion and a few other titles, but I never stuck with them. I was always an Image fan boy, guns and boobs what more could an adolescent want. Then I discovered X-O manowar, I don't know why I bought it but I did and that was all it took, I bought what I could and that wasn't much. Back issues were at a premium and even if I missed the release by the next week the prices would be double. I got some of the Unity crossover series but was weary of crossovers because Marvel would crossover good books with crappy books to boost sales of crappy books, or so it seemed. Looking back on those days I had no clue what I was doing. Zombie-itis, I guess. In the early 2000s I managed to make one buy on ebay, a complete X-O run, came with a #15 pink and a #14 signed by Sears. I was happy and started to look at the other books but couldn't commit to a full run of anything. That one cost me about $25, and I didn't want to blow all of my money on comics when I had partying to do.

One of the fondest memories from my comic collecting came on the day that Superman #75 was released. I was off from school on that day since my dad was retiring from the Air Force and I got to get in line at my LCS and wait all day for the issues to arrive. It was a strange day for me, two of my heroes were closing chapters in their life. The military was such a big part of our lives and that day had some special meaning.

I have mentioned before that there was no way that I could get a girl into my room in my early high school years. I dug up some pics that I had taken of my room back then so all would understand and now here they are

Thanks for giving me a place to flaunt my geekness, Greg.

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

That's so great !!! I wish I had a picture from my bedroom . . . I had all the walls completely covered with posters and pictures I cut out of wizard & previews . .

I mean totally covered . . .

I started to put a few on the ceiling and my mom made me stop . . :lol:

I had to putty the hell out the room when I took everything down . . .

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Very cool.

mobstirr
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by mobstirr »

Very cool. I wish I had pics of my room from HS. I still miss that live-sized door poster of Traci Lords...

cobra_commander
Dude...one word - Pterodactyls!
Re: TKW's VALIANT Story - I thought I did one of these

Post by cobra_commander »

ThrillKillWill wrote:Star Wars were the first to go, yeah they were cool, but Joe was cooler (what an idiot).
*ahem* :?

cobra_commander

Post by cobra_commander »

ThrillKillWill wrote:Image
That wolvie cover on the top left should be on EVERYONE'S wall no matter HOW old they are :lol: :thumb:

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!

Post by Lightning Strike »

Nice :thumb:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

ThrillKillWill wrote:Thanks for giving me a place to flaunt my geekness, Greg.
:thumb:

worldsbestcomics
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set? Done.
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set?  Done.

Post by worldsbestcomics »

I love the room!

My wife and I just recently bought a new house with an extra bedroom that my wife calls, "the comic room." Not, "Steve's home office" or "Steve's den" but "the comic room." She knows me.

I don't have anything up yet and I'm going to be judicious about what I put up but two things I know for sure are the original art to the Rai Companion cover [whch is also my avatar] and the ValiantFans Bloodshot print which I recently won in one of Svair's auctions to benefit Trent's family. :thumb:

I am thinking about a complete run of VH1 cover art with a cover from each title but I don't know. What do you guys think about that?

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

worldsbestcomics wrote:I love the room!

My wife and I just recently bought a new house with an extra bedroom that my wife calls, "the comic room." Not, "Steve's home office" or "Steve's den" but "the comic room." She knows me.

I don't have anything up yet and I'm going to be judicious about what I put up but two things I know for sure are the original art to the Rai Companion cover [whch is also my avatar] and the ValiantFans Bloodshot print which I recently won in one of Svair's auctions to benefit Trent's family. :thumb:

I am thinking about a complete run of VH1 cover art with a cover from each title but I don't know. What do you guys think about that?
I think I am envious.

worldsbestcomics
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set? Done.
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set?  Done.

Post by worldsbestcomics »

ThrillKillWill wrote:
worldsbestcomics wrote:I love the room!

I think I am envious.
:lol: I guess asking the Valiant Board about this issue is probably not the best way to get an unbiased answer. I have a cool Turok cover. And a Magnus and a Solar. I bought a Secret Weapons and H.A.R.D. Corps cover from Valiant Entertainment back in May but I haven't received them yet - I think that they are swamped with the Harbinger relaunch.

I'll go to the original art forum and post what I have.

ibreakhorses
...it has been down hill ever since.
...it has been down hill ever since.

Post by ibreakhorses »

Cool photos. :thumb: