I was lucky enough to work production...

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

rasmus2
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!
I was lucky enough to work production...

Post by rasmus2 »

...on several Valiant books and the Valiant voice.
I did pre-press production for Valiant titles and Marvel titles (about half the marvel library) back in the early 90s.

The guys I worked with were kind enough to get me a file copy set of SOLAR 1-10.
At the time street value on that set was something like $400 or something...silly prices those early issues were fetching.
But they got me some reader copies too, and trades...X-O was my favorite.

I ended up getting the MASTERDARQUE ALE bottle of beer as a Christmas gift...which I still have unopened on my book shelf...from editor Scott Friedlander one year.
And I have a one of a kind production proof of Shadowman...some really good stuff.

I was disappointed with the way X-O ended though.
I remember starting to read those from a buddy, who insisted that they stay in MINT shape...so instructed me to ONLY touch the comics when I had to turn the page.
Ah, good times!

The editors at Valiant got me a few signed copies of Dr. Mirage when that was released...I thought that was a good book too.
Never really got into Timewalker though.

But the ending of X-O haunted me...as a real bite in the *SQUEE*.
Was Aric only dreaming the whole time, that whole 60 issue set took place during a dream while on the spider-ship?

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

Very cool . .. Welcome to the boards !! :thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Re: I was lucky enough to work production...

Post by Daniel Jackson »

rasmus2 wrote:But the ending of X-O haunted me...as a real bite in the *SQUEE*.
Was Aric only dreaming the whole time, that whole 60 issue set took place during a dream while on the spider-ship?
Yeah, pretty lame huh? Bob Layton apologized to the fans not too long ago for that ugly mess.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
rasmus2 wrote:But the ending of X-O haunted me...as a real bite in the *SQUEE*.
Yeah, pretty lame huh? Bob Layton apologized to the fans not too long ago for that ugly mess.
<snort>

Oh, BTW welcome... :thumb:

Chuck
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!

Post by Chuck »

welcome aboard.

cool inside info :thumb:

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Welcome to the bored!

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Hola compadre!

Cool to hear from another insider!

Tell some more sotries.

:thumb:

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

Nice to have another X-O fan on board, and yes the end of the X-O run was a hard time for us all.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Welcome?!? Guys, isn't that a bit late? Rasmus joined in 2005!

<Welcome>

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

leonmallett wrote:Welcome?!? Guys, isn't that a bit late? Rasmus joined in 2005!

<Welcome>
Leave him alone, maybe he is shy. Stagefright can be a mutha.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ThrillKillWill wrote:
leonmallett wrote:Welcome?!? Guys, isn't that a bit late? Rasmus joined in 2005!

<Welcome>
When you are stood at the toilet! Actually my point was directed at the guys here rather than Rasmus2, but fair play for pointing it out.

TKWill

Post by TKWill »

leonmallett wrote:
ThrillKillWill wrote:

<Welcome>
When you are stood at the toilet! Actually my point was directed at the guys here rather than Rasmus2, but fair play for pointing it out.
Yeah I thought all of his posts came today. Apparently he also posted in 2005. It is weird to talk about him like he isn't even here, even though he isn't really here. Sort of like a whispered conversation about him that he will just read later. Sssshhh, he might hear us.

On another note, there is nothing better than two people posting on the board that just chase posts from thread to thread.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ThrillKillWill wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
ThrillKillWill wrote:

<Welcome>
Yeah I thought all of his posts came today. Apparently he also posted in 2005. It is weird to talk about him like he isn't even here, even though he isn't really here. Sort of like a whispered conversation about him that he will just read later. Sssshhh, he might hear us.

On another note, there is nothing better than two people posting on the board that just chase posts from thread to thread.
Me? Do that? Never! :oops:

rasmus2
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!
Actually...

Post by rasmus2 »

...I lost touch with this board because I (almost) forgot I had the link.

I met a couple of the Valiant fans on the board, and then I stopped posting for no real apparent reason then I just wasn't finding time to surf the way I used to.
I have a baby daughter now (well, she's 4 now not so much a baby) and work takes a lot of my attention.

Cleaning, spring cleaning, etc...I discovered a whole slew of my Valiant comics that I forgot about, duplicates and the like that I thought I would unload to make space, when a buddy reminded me there's fans over here too...and then I was like DUH!

So I was checking out some of the threads and this one particular part of the boards struck my fancy.

Back in the 90s when I was doing pre-production for some of their stuff, it was pretty cool. Going to the Valiant offices and seeing the creators slumped over their drawing boards right THERE in the offices working on comics, like the days of old back in Marvel in the early years...that was neat. I wish I could remember for the life of the name of the girl (asian girl, used to write in the editorial collumn every month) ....when I met her, the guys back at MY production office asked if she was as hot in person. That's all they cared about!
I think her name was....argh, killin' me. Gotta go look.

But yeah, it was a real trip. Between Valiant and my work on production for Marvel, it was pretty cool.
Did that for almost 4 years, then got more into the creative side of comics.

I started self publishing, and then I started a series of dvd film documentaries about the comic book industry and the creators.

Without wanting to plug, but I know a few will ask about the project, you can check them out at http://www.timespell.com

All right...gotta get to work now.
Good talking to you guys!

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Actually...

Post by magnusr »

rasmus2 wrote:Without wanting to plug, but I know a few will ask about the project, you can check them out at http://www.timespell.com

/Magnus

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

rasmus2 wrote:...I lost touch with this board because I (almost) forgot I had the link.

I met a couple of the Valiant fans on the board, and then I stopped posting for no real apparent reason then I just wasn't finding time to surf the way I used to.
I have a baby daughter now (well, she's 4 now not so much a baby) and work takes a lot of my attention.

Cleaning, spring cleaning, etc...I discovered a whole slew of my Valiant comics that I forgot about, duplicates and the like that I thought I would unload to make space, when a buddy reminded me there's fans over here too...and then I was like DUH!

So I was checking out some of the threads and this one particular part of the boards struck my fancy.

Back in the 90s when I was doing pre-production for some of their stuff, it was pretty cool. Going to the Valiant offices and seeing the creators slumped over their drawing boards right THERE in the offices working on comics, like the days of old back in Marvel in the early years...that was neat. I wish I could remember for the life of the name of the girl (asian girl, used to write in the editorial collumn every month) ....when I met her, the guys back at MY production office asked if she was as hot in person. That's all they cared about!

But yeah, it was a real trip. Between Valiant and my work on production for Marvel, it was pretty cool.

I started self publishing, and then I started a series of dvd film documentaries about the comic book industry and the creators.

Without wanting to plug, but I know a few will ask about the project, you can check them out at http://www.timespell.com

Maybe drop a few more anecdotes from time to time. :thumb:

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Great to have some more inside info :thumb: Save this link :wink:

-Brian

whovianone
...it hurts so much ...my brain hurts!

Post by whovianone »

Elveen wrote:Hola compadre!

Tell some more sotries.

Yeah, tell more! I love sotries! :D

And, welcome to the board! :thumb:

whovianone

Post by whovianone »

Tell some more sotries.

He's my favorite author, Jean-Paul Sotries.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

whovianone wrote:

Tell some more sotries.

He's my favorite author, Jean-Paul Sotries.
:lol:

Bad puns - Hobo has a rival today... :thumb:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

rasmus2 wrote:...I lost touch with this board because I (almost) forgot I had the link.

Was that girl Elim Mak?

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

rasmus2 wrote:...on several Valiant books and the Valiant voice.
I did pre-press production for Valiant titles and Marvel titles (about half the marvel library) back in the early 90s.

The guys I worked with were kind enough to get me a file copy set of SOLAR 1-10.
At the time street value on that set was something like $400 or something...silly prices those early issues were fetching.
But they got me some reader copies too, and trades...X-O was my favorite.

I ended up getting the MASTERDARQUE ALE bottle of beer as a Christmas gift...which I still have unopened on my book shelf...from editor Scott Friedlander one year.
And I have a one of a kind production proof of Shadowman...some really good stuff.

I was disappointed with the way X-O ended though.
I remember starting to read those from a buddy, who insisted that they stay in MINT shape...so instructed me to ONLY touch the comics when I had to turn the page.
Ah, good times!

The editors at Valiant got me a few signed copies of Dr. Mirage when that was released...I thought that was a good book too.
Never really got into Timewalker though.

But the ending of X-O haunted me...as a real bite in the *SQUEE*.

Don't you have those goodies up for sale over on the CGC boards? I'm thinking you might want to post a link to that thread. :thumb:
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Well, a "welcome" isn't really appropriate, but I'm sure we all share the sentiment that it's nice to have you back posting, and I hope we can hear more "behind-the-scenes" stories you might remember!

Hey, Greg - how about getting Ras' custom title changed to match all the other old VALIANT guys?

-slym

rasmus2
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!
ELIM MAK!

Post by rasmus2 »

That's it! That was her name!

ELIM MAK!

So when I got back to the offices, that was one of the first questions I got asked. AND also asked by my other buddies who read Valiant.

Just HOW hot is Elim Mak?
Pretty cute, from what I recall.

Very nice. I remember (don't ask me why) that she had green tinted painted finger nails at the time.
Isnt' that odd to remember about her? Great smile too.

I remember chatting with Bob Layton (right...was that his name? I'm having a brain fart right now...I'm at work)...the guy who edited and wrote a lot of X-O...and I remember telling him how much I liked his work on the HERCULES mini series that he did at Marvel.

All nice guys. And yeah, all of these creators slummped over the drawing table, trying to meet deadlines.

Scott giving me file copies of SOLAR was a huge plus for me.

I haven't posted this stuff for sale on Ebay or anything, but yeah...I've got a big bunch of stuff that I'd like to get rid of, mostly because A) I need the room and B) I have dupes or trades.

So if anyone is interested, let me know via PM.
I've got the SOLAR file copies, 1-20 or so, I think....X-O 1-20, Ninjak full run, some Magnus, Harbinger 1-20, Dr. Mirage (a couple signed)...then there's that matchprint of shadowman that you saw.

I could honestly tell you guys more stories about Marvel than I could Valiant. My favorite are pretty much drinking stories.
Nothing crazy....just that I loved to go down there with the company credit card and go out with the Marvel group to this irish pub in NYC.
Glass Abbey.
GREAT place.

I would drop something like $200, then editor Sven Larson would pick up the next $200 round or some such.
ALL a great group of people, and I miss them all very much.
That was the best part of my job, hanging with these guys.
And we rarely talked shop.

I've got more Marvel proofs in my closet that I salvaged than I do Valiant stuff...there was just more of it. All really neat though!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

"Valiant? You was there!" :thumb:

Nice to see you back on the board... you picked a fun time to reappear...
there's actually Valiant news to talk about! :P :D