This board made my day.

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

shaun126
Working on the first full appearance of me
This board made my day.

Post by shaun126 »

I was reading about some Valiant titles on WIKI when I found a link here...

Brings back great memories.

I started collecting books when I was probably 10-11. Mostly marvel, I was a big Spiderman man, loved the Mcfarlane/Larsen era books.

I remember hearing about Valiant books, but didn't have a comic store near me at the time, so I cant recall seeing any on the shelf. I was 13 I believe when I started hearing about how great the writing was on some of the Valient titles. I picked up a few books at the monthly comic convention, I'm thinking it was Early Solar's because BWS' covers blew me away.

At that point I was hooked. I read about the Unity crossover, and thought it sounded amazing. That summer I happened to be at a department store with my mom, and they had a fairly large comic book section. They had nearly all the Unity books on the shelf. I convinced my Mom to buy them all for me, the catch is that they were a christmas present. I didn't actually get any of the books until christmas morning !

I ended up collecting all the pre-unity books, managing to get most of them before they became way too pricey. I followed the books closely until Jim was ousted. It was clear the quality was on a downward trend and I just stopped caring or buying books somewhere between the launch of Bloodshot and Ninjak.

Anyway, great site, great books, great memories.
Last edited by shaun126 on Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:29:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

Welcome to the boards, bud. :thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Hola compadre, hope you still have all the books :thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Re: This board made my day.

Post by Daniel Jackson »

shaun126 wrote:IAt that point I was hooked. I read about the Unity crossover, and thought it sounded amazing. That summer I happened to be at a department store with my mom, and they had a fairly large comic book section. They had nearly all the Unity books on the shelf. I convinced my Mom to buy them all for me, the catch is that they were a christmas present. I didn't actually get any of the books until christmas morning !
Man, you had to wait from Summer to Christmas? Those issues much have had some hefty price tags on them.

shaun126

Post by shaun126 »

Man, you had to wait from Summer to Christmas? Those issues much have had some hefty price tags on them.
No !

That was just the deal, she would buy them, if I waited until x-mas.

So, I waited...

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

shaun126 wrote:
No !

That was just the deal, she would buy them, if I waited until x-mas.

So, I waited...
You're very patient, I don't think I could have waited that long.

ibreakhorses
...it has been down hill ever since.
...it has been down hill ever since.

Post by ibreakhorses »

Welcome! :thumb:

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

shaun126 wrote:
At that point I was hooked. I read about the Unity crossover, and thought it sounded amazing. That summer I happened to be at a department store with my mom, and they had a fairly large comic book section. They had nearly all the Unity books on the shelf. I convinced my Mom to buy them all for me, the catch is that they were a christmas present. I didn't actually get any of the books until christmas morning !
Welcome to the boards!

Wow, some department store carried VALIANT books??? I never heard of that, I would think a department store would get their books via the newsstand distribution system and I believe VALIANT only sold books through the direct market until late in the game... :hm:

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Yo. Welcome. :thumb:

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Welcome to the boards!
Brother J wrote:Wow, some department store carried VALIANT books??? I never heard of that, I would think a department store would get their books via the newsstand distribution system and I believe VALIANT only sold books through the direct market until late in the game... :hm:
It's not unheard of. The second "comic shop" I worked at was actually a department of a college bookstore. My official title was "Comic Book Dept. Manager." The store was actually fairly large and in addition to text books had large greeting cards, teaching supplies, trade books, clothing, and other departments. The store even accepted university textbook vouchers for everything in the store, so we made a killing at the beginning of each semester on kids buying comic books with their textbook vouchers!

We ordered from Diamond, had a pull-and-hold service with discounts to "Comic Club" members, a couple dozen or so long boxes of back issues, sold a ton of Magic: The Gathering, etc. My department was consistently in the top 3 performing departments.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Welcome aboard this ship of Greg's - and in a way, ours as well. It lists a little off-course at times, but we manage!

:wink:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

SnotDrip
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by SnotDrip »

Welcome :thumb:

96Valiantfan
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by 96Valiantfan »

Welcome :thumb:

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Welcome

Post by dac55 »

Welcome Stay awhile.

David

shaun126

Post by shaun126 »

Wow, some department store carried VALIANT books??? I never heard of that, I would think a department store would get their books via the newsstand distribution system and I believe VALIANT only sold books through the direct market until late in the game... Think
Yeah, it was Lazurus (which has since closed down)

They had a very big comic section next to the books, they even had some graphic novels.

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

Lazarus ruled.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!