"Holy crap! Is that Magnus?"

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Mighty Drew
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
"Holy crap! Is that Magnus?"

Post by The Mighty Drew »

Hi everyone. Great website, and it looks like decent people. Not what I'm used to seeing on message boards.

My Valiant story begins many years before Valiant was around.

Does anyone remember "Whitman Comics"? In the late 70's-early 80's, Whitman published comics and sometimes, they even liscensed comics published by other companies, substituting their logo for the one of the original publishing company in the corner. They weren't always the best comics, but they were dirt cheap. They were usually sold in three-packs sealed in a plastic bag. (You could pick the books on either end, but your middle book was usually a crap shoot.) I remember Buck Rogers, Space Family Robinson, Grim's Ghost Stories, and many others.

The best Whitman Comics I discovered featured an actual super-hero that I never heard of before. "Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom". And the back-up feature of the book was even better than the title character! That was "Magnus: Robot Fighter". The other book that came with the two issues of Solar wasn't bad either, "Turok: Son of Stone".

I felt like I was on the ground floor of something really cool. A universe that I could watch grow and expand. My Mom's fridge was soon covered with pictures of a red and green guy with a nuclear symbol on his chest, and another guy head-to-toe in red trashing some robots. (The Whitman issues were the first time Magnus wore pants.)

But it wasn't meant to be.

I continued to collect comics through the eighties, refining my tastes, appreciating the vastness of the DC Universe, and filling the holes of their 50+ year history. The new heroes I discovered remained unused and unpublished. I had learned a little of their history, and even managed to find a couple of their old Gold Key issues for decent prices. With all of DC's "Earths", I held out some hope that we might see one with Dr. Solar and the other characters. Why not? They did it with three other defunct companies. (I doubt it was ever even an option.)

By the time 1990 hit, I was still enjoying comics, but I felt like comics needed a shot in the arm. I was feeling the beginings of disillusionment.

By 1991, I was a senior in High School. I was checking out the wall of books in my local struggling comic shop. Digging through the books on the shelf, I pulled out, completely by accident, Magnus Robot Fighter #1 by Valiant, a company I had never heard of before.

"Holy crap! Is that Magnus? THE Magnus???"

The store owner said "Oh yeah. They just started that up again. I just got one for the store in case someone was interested."

"You're damn right I'm @#$%ing intersted!"

He said number two had just come out, and he found me a copy under the counter. He said, "You know they're bringing back Dr. Solar too..."

I stared at him dumbfounded.

"You must get me a copy of everything this company publishes."

"You got it!"

I had no idea what a fortuitous statement that was at the time. I had two copies of Harbinger #1 sitting in my bin waiting for me as I watched other people kill themselves trying to get a copy. I remember being in another comic shop watching someone shell out 95 bucks for one. 95 bucks!!!

The best part is, I had that feeling again. I had recaptured the excitement of childhood thrill. I was a kid again, and I had that feeling that I was on the ground floor of a new, wonderful universe. And this one was all mine. I owned it. I felt like I was there, on-hand, to buy Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, and All-Star Comics #3.

And this time, I was right.

For a little while, anyway...

Thanks for reading!!!

Drew
19) VALIANT WILL RETURN.
It'll be a celebration of complete chaos and destruction.
It'll be a glorious time of weeping. The earth will shift on its axis.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Hola compadre. Great story! Welcome Drew, read some old posts, and add to the new ones. :thumb:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Nice opener, Drew! Welcome aboard!!!

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

The Mighty Drew

I've recieved many warm welcomes in several threads. I think I'm gonna like it here. Thanks everyone.
19) VALIANT WILL RETURN.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: "Holy crap! Is that Magnus?"

Post by magnusr »

Great post.
The Mighty Drew wrote:I felt like I was on the ground floor of something really cool. A universe that I could watch grow and expand. My Mom's fridge was soon covered with pictures of a red and green guy with a nuclear symbol on his chest, and another guy head-to-toe in red trashing some robots. (The Whitman issues were the first time Magnus wore pants.)

But it wasn't meant to be.
It's a pity. They started this huge relaunch of their titles (and as you hint at mentioning the pants, they updated the characters a bit), just to give up after a few issues (and in some cases before any new issues had been published at all).
And this time, I was right.

For a little while, anyway...

Thanks for reading!!!

Drew
Let's hope it happens again.

/Magnus

96Valiantfan
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by 96Valiantfan »

Welcome :thumb:

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Very cool. :thumb:

Welcome.

ibreakhorses
...it has been down hill ever since.
...it has been down hill ever since.

Post by ibreakhorses »

Welcome! :thumb:

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

Great Story!

Hope ya stay awhile. :thumb:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Mighty Drew, Welcome!

So... we know how you got into VALIANT books...
was there a time when you got OUT?

:)

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Welcome
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

The Mighty Drew

greg wrote:Mighty Drew, Welcome!

Hmmmm... Yes. A little more than halfway through VH1. Maybe two-thirds of the way. It's difficult to remember.

I remember thinking that the quality of the storytelling took a dip sometime after Shooter left or was fired or whatever. But again, these were MY heroes, and I continued on no matter what. Hell, I'm the kind of comic collector who doesn't wear any kind of "geek paraphanelia". Yet there I was with my Shadowman logo t-shirt and Valiant logo ball cap. (Hint-hint to any would-be merchandisers for valiantfans.com.)

After a while, that feeling of disillusionment started to set in again. I remember feeling dissapointed by "Ninjak", and that was the first Valiant title I "dropped". In retrospect, I think I was building myself up too much for projects from this company, and after their first spectacular year, there was no way they could meet that high of a bar again. I also remember thinking that they were getting a little too gimmicky, or was that just comics in general? Again, there was that high bar I set in my head for Valiant.

Also, there was a lot of other stuff going on in my life during that time. Graduating college, death of my father, ended up marrying my first wife who didn't "get" the whole comic book thing... Valiant titles started dropping from my pull-list one by one, and not just Valiants, but comics all-together! I had actually quit buying comics for about a year or so.

By the time I was back in, I didn't recognize anything that was going on in Valiant, and their death knell was ringing. I thought of catching up on what I missed, but what was the point? It wouldn't feel the same.

Today, I'm a full-on collector again, buying a large portion of the DC Universe with the occassional Marvel or Independent book thrown in. DC Comics is better than they've been in a long time.

In spite of that, I miss my love affair with Valiant during my late teens and early twenties. What I wouldn't give to have that feeling that's bottled up somewhere inside set free one more time. I'm 33, I have beautiful and understanding wife, and we are expecting our first child. I could use a little of that childhood wonder, sure. But how great would it be to see these characters return to comics, and to watch my son or daughter experience that feeling for the first time?

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And I'll be there on the ground floor again. Just check out my sig.

In the meantime, I think I'll start looking through the quarter bins to see what I missed.

Thanks for reading again!

Drew
19) VALIANT WILL RETURN.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

The Mighty Drew wrote:

Hmmmm... Yes. A little more than halfway through VH1. Maybe two-thirds of the way. It's difficult to remember.

Drew
Was there a corresponding event in the comics? I only ask because many people started dropping near or at "Chaos Effect" (I was one of those) and a lot of others seemd to do the same at or after "Birthquake."

Just curious...

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

The Mighty Drew

slym2none wrote:
The Mighty Drew wrote:

Drew
Was there a corresponding event in the comics? I only ask because many people started dropping near or at "Chaos Effect" (I was one of those) and a lot of others seemd to do the same at or after "Birthquake."

Just curious...

-slym
Right before the "Chaos Effect, I had dropped everything. Even Magnus.
19) VALIANT WILL RETURN.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Welcome

Post by dac55 »

Welcome Drew, Stay awhile. :thumb: Good story man.

David

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Re: "Holy crap! Is that Magnus?"

Post by Daniel Jackson »

The Mighty Drew wrote:
"Holy crap! Is that Magnus? THE Magnus???"
Always great to have another Magnus fan aboard. That's what got me started with Valiant as well.

SnotDrip
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by SnotDrip »

welcome Drew

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

The Mighty Drew wrote:
slym2none wrote:
The Mighty Drew wrote:

Drew

Just curious...

-slym
Right before the "Chaos Effect, I had dropped everything. Even Magnus.
Judging from the print run numbers I'd say a lot of readers dropped the line before chaos effect....like me :D . Once again, welcome aboard!

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

Welcome aboard!

putz
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-0

Post by putz »

Welcome.
Please remember to keep your legs and arms inside the car at all times.
Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.
-- Unknown