dumb luck

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

gary
Working on the first full appearance of me
dumb luck

Post by gary »

About 2 years ago I was driving around my neighborhood and stumbled across an unadvertised estate sale. As usual I was looking for old fishing tackle or old billiard cues. None were there but there was a box of 300 plus new comics individually bagged and boarded. The price was $50. They were Valiants which I had never heard of. So I passed on them and left. Next day, while running errands with my wife, we drove near the sale and stopped. The comics were still there, unsold. I offered $20 figuring I couldn't lose much. Well, I got on the web and found this website and discovered Valiant comics have a loyal following. As I searched through the cache of comics I found I had 15 Rai 2's, 21 Rai 3,s 3 Rai 4,s and 15 magnus 12's. The rest were very common. Last year I sent 5 to cgc for grading to see how they fared. The 3 centered Rai 3,s came back (2) 9.8 and (1) 9.6. The 2 Rai 4,s came back at 9.4 each. I have not sent any more in but am quite happy with th initial submission. How's that for dumb luck. That's my story.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

WELCOME gary... tell Patrick and Sponge Bob I said HI !!!

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

:hm:

These Magnus 12s you type of... Where are they?

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Not jealous of 15 Rai #2's...... but 21 Rai #3?

:cry:

-slym (will get there - one day)
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Oh yeah - welcome to the boards!

-slym (either got called blind, a nut, or a squirrel) :lol:
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Re: dumb luck

Post by Daniel Jackson »

gary wrote: As I searched through the cache of comics I found I had 15 Rai 2's, 21 Rai 3,s 3 Rai 4,s and 15 magnus 12's. The rest were very common. Last year I sent 5 to cgc for grading to see how they fared. The 3 centered Rai 3,s came back (2) 9.8 and (1) 9.6. The 2 Rai 4,s came back at 9.4 each. I have not sent any more in but am quite happy with th initial submission. How's that for dumb luck. That's my story.
Wow, with that many Rai's and Magnus #12's the guy must've owned a shop at one time or been a serious speculator. Nice story, welcome aboard.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: dumb luck

Post by greg »

gary wrote:About 2 years ago I was driving around my neighborhood and stumbled across an unadvertised estate sale. As usual I was looking for old fishing tackle or old billiard cues. None were there but there was a box of 300 plus new comics individually bagged and boarded. The price was $50. They were Valiants which I had never heard of. So I passed on them and left. Next day, while running errands with my wife, we drove near the sale and stopped. The comics were still there, unsold. I offered $20 figuring I couldn't lose much. Well, I got on the web and found this website and discovered Valiant comics have a loyal following. As I searched through the cache of comics I found I had 15 Rai 2's, 21 Rai 3,s 3 Rai 4,s and 15 magnus 12's. The rest were very common. Last year I sent 5 to cgc for grading to see how they fared. The 3 centered Rai 3,s came back (2) 9.8 and (1) 9.6. The 2 Rai 4,s came back at 9.4 each. I have not sent any more in but am quite happy with th initial submission. How's that for dumb luck. That's my story.
Awesome story! :clap:

You better not be in central Arkansas, because that sounds exactly like the "treasure trove" I witnessed in 1993.

The father of some kids I knew had a longbox of pre-Unity books.
I specifically remember the Rai issues... over a dozen of #2 and #3, but only about 4 of Rai #4. I think I traded him some of my books for a Rai #5.
(Since I had never seen any of these books in a comic shop, I was astounded that he had so many duplicates!)

I saw that guy again about five years ago and told him I wanted his Valiant comics someday.
He laughed and said he hadn't thought about those in years.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

A while back I was in an LCS and found 11 Rai #3 for $.10 cents a PIECE !! I quietly picked them up, giggling and doing the happy dance at the register and then practically ran out of the store, making eye contact with NOBODY. I sped off in my car, narrowly missing a motorcycle and a bus of Columbian midgets (every one of them had green eyes and webbed feet... how odd) visiting Tucson while on a vacation slash business trip which involved dehydrated pork and stilletto shoes (very attractive I might add)... anyways, I get back to the house where I take out my great looking ten cent copies of Rai #3.............. to find that there is an ink stamp on the first page of every copy. An ink stamp that had the name and address of the comic shop on it.

At that point, I think I went quite mad actually. I sent my entire family to my wife's mother and father. They own an emu ranch in Tombstone, AZ and it is far from the beaten path of civilization. Doing this to protect them from myself, I then went on a drinking binge consisting of Ouzo, coke a cola and shots of tequila which is not hard to come by considering we are fairly close to the Mexican border. Hard booze was not hard to come by... nor was the level of violence that the states of Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico had ever seen. I believe at one point the Nevada Air National Guard was called out to apprehend me or at a minimum provide some kind of 'tracking status' so that small towns could be notified and either evacuated or gasoline trenches dug and ignited. The flames keeping me at bay and the cries of women and children disorientating me to the point of tears. At one point, I remember trapping a young women in a shoe store. I thought her a young child at first but she was indeed a miget. She seemed to calm me then. Talking to me softly, almost cooing like a small fragile bird. I remember getting tired as she had me lay in her small diminuative lap. Stroking my hair, singing Hotel California by the Eagles... I was almost at rest... at peace. My inner fires of rage and anger nearly burned out..... until I saw her tiny... webbed... feet. The rage, the anger, the sheer wanton destructive urges again rose to the surface and.... well, I do not recall the things that happened after that. The next thing I remember was waking up at Walter Reed Army Hospital. Heavily sedated, strapped to the bed, naked from the waist up and wearing a muzzle like the one worn by the madman in Silence of the Lambs. Lastly, I remember having this feeling, this QUESTION that haunts my very soul to this day.... words that echo in my skull like the very bells of doom that will be heard during the last days of our existance on this planet... "Why, would someone put an ink stamp of a comic shop on the first page of a Rai #3 ? Why ?"

inmyblood

Post by inmyblood »

Way to go, Gary!!! :clap:

You scored big time my friend....

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
books

Post by dac55 »

:thumb: Nice find Gary, and welcome to the boards.

David

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Great wierd way to discover Valiant

Welcome to the Boards :thumb:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Don't forget the midgets.

FatalKM

Post by FatalKM »

Wow, please pass some of your luck on to me :D

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Ha,ha...no kidding.

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Second_Death »

Gary......nice haul and welcome aboard.
Knightt wrote:Don't forget the midgets.
:hm: .................. :D

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

You know... midgets. Small hands, webbed feet, smell like cabbage. :thumb:

putz
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-0

Post by putz »

You need to meet dino's midget.
Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.
-- Unknown

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Here he is.....

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Gary,

Welcome aboard! It's nice to have a new poster who is excited about Valiants and finding a stash of some of the best books in the run. :thumb: