Howdy

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

bkbirge
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Magnus, Solar, and Turok
Howdy

Post by bkbirge »

Hey all, I've been lurking on and off for awhile and thought I'd register and introduce myself. I'm probably a little different than most of you, I didn't really start getting into comics at all until about a year ago at age 35. But I sure seem to be catching up for lost time or missed childhood or something! I also got into Valiant a bit backwards too, through Acclaim.

I was a Turok game fan before I knew they were comics. Out of curiosity I looked on the net and found out what a legacy that character has, bought some Dell's and Acclaims and then the full set of Valiant Turoks. I was pretty *SQUEE* off at Acclaim back when they shut down as I'd been really hoping for a turnaround for my slight stock investment. I knew that a lot of people thought the management ran the company into the ground but I didn't really know the comics side of the story.

Getting a chance to read the comics from the Valiant era on through the Acclaim era sure has given me an education (I love the "we're not dead yet" assurances from acclaim in there last issues), as has reading the various posts here. I still haven't read all the Turoks I have because I've been too busy collecting other Valiants and reading them. As soon as I get another batch in I read them and the Turoks keep getting lower in the pile. I've got Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, Rai, Solar, Shadowman, and a full set of Magnus (my favorite so far). I'm not too into superhero comics as I prefer anthologies and sci-fi but Valiant is the exception.

I've got the Acclaim volumes too when I can find them. It's a shame that for whatever reason these properties have fizzled out. I'd say for most of the runs, the Valiants seem to be superior to the Acclaim era. I do like some of the Acclaim stuff though, especially the relaunch of Armorines, Deadside, and vol3 of Shadowman. You'd think IDW would pick up those last 2, I bet they could make 'em work. If anyone has an Armorines #4 (acclaim) I'd be interested, I'd just like to read it doesn't need to be NM.

The Acclaim Magnus was so bad I don't even want to think about it. Maybe it is my newness to comics but it seems that for several of the Acclaim runs they had too many chefs in the kitchen and not enough good stories and nothing in the way of consistency. Several times reading those I felt like maybe my copy was missing some pages, lol. Valiant lines suffer a little from that 'confusing' aspect too (does Timewalker make *any* sense?) but when I read them it comes across more as there is a rich backstory that I will get eventually.

Thanks for being such a cool site and group of people, and educating me while I enjoy these comics. I love reading about the backstory and history of these things almost as much as reading the comics themselves!
- Chip

ibreakhorses
...it has been down hill ever since.
...it has been down hill ever since.

Post by ibreakhorses »

Welcome to the boards! :thumb:

Vault-Keeper
Mr. Sunshine
Mr. Sunshine

Post by Vault-Keeper »

Welcome to the boards!

Some of the issues make better sense when you read them in the order they were released, instead of numerical sequence. An example would be the Malev War, which bounced back and forth between Magnus and Rai. There are other examples. There is a spot on this website that lists which issues came out when. Good luck in your quest for 100%!---Steve

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

Welcome aboard.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Re: Howdy

Post by Daniel Jackson »

bkbirge wrote: I do like some of the Acclaim stuff though, especially the relaunch of Armorines, Deadside, and vol3 of Shadowman. You'd think IDW would pick up those last 2, I bet they could make 'em work. If anyone has an Armorines #4 (acclaim) I'd be interested, I'd just like to read it doesn't need to be NM.

The Acclaim Magnus was so bad I don't even want to think about it. Maybe it is my newness to comics but it seems that for several of the Acclaim runs they had too many chefs in the kitchen and not enough good stories and nothing in the way of consistency. Several times reading those I felt like maybe my copy was missing some pages, lol. Valiant lines suffer a little from that 'confusing' aspect too (does Timewalker make *any* sense?) but when I read them it comes across more as there is a rich backstory that I will get eventually.

- Chip
Welcome aboard Chip.

I feel the same way you do about V3 Shadowman and Deadside. Both were very good and it's a shame it was so short-lived cause I feel they were really hitting their stride with Mike LeRoi. I also concur about the VH2 Magnus; it just didn't set very well with me either. Wish I could help with the Armorines #4, but I only have one copy and it seems the book just doesn't turn up as often as it used to.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Welcome. :thumb:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

join in the fun... :wink:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

childres
The more you post, the more you want to.
The more you post, the more you want to.

Post by childres »

Hi Chip! Welcome to the boards!

:thumb:

-Joe

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
WELCOME

Post by dac55 »

Welcome :thumb:

David

BodaZoffa
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by BodaZoffa »

What up.

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

Welcome! :thumb:

(may God have mercy on his soul)

96Valiantfan
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by 96Valiantfan »

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

Hello, Chip!

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

Hello, welcome, sit back and have a drink... you may need it around here.

:o :lol: :P

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

slym2none wrote:Hello, welcome, sit back and have a drink... you may need it around here.

:o :lol: :P

-slym
You might need more than that from time to time around here. :thumb:

David

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Welcome to the boards... :thumb:

Good luck on finding an Armorines #4...I tried to do a project with that issue for SDCC last year and gave up.....issues are IMPOSSIBLE to find right now.
Sad thing is I own more original art from that issue then copies of the book.

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Is your dad's name "Old Block"?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

tcolli
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man

Post by tcolli »

I do chicken right!

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Is your dad's name "Old Block"?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
And people here think MY jokes are corny???

:roll: :lol: :P

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.