No Place Like Home

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
No Place Like Home

Post by Second_Death »

Hi everyone. This was my third time to reference this site so I thought it was time to join the board. The information available on this site is first rate and its good to see that others thought as highly of the books as I once did and still do.

I started reading and collecting comics as a 9 year old in 1978. By the mid 80's, my interest wained for several reasons including my thoughts that the books being published at the time just weren't very good anymore. By this time though my collection spanned a 15+ year run of many titles which collected dust for years......until 1991.

In August of that year, I was out with a couple of buddies and they were picking up their weekly books on hold at the mall comic shop. Got to visiting with the shop owner and relayed to him my dissappointment in comics. He suggested I try reading a book being published by a relatively new publisher called Valiant. He handed me a copy of Solar #1 and asked me to take it home. He was sure that I would like it and I could pay for it when I came back to purchase more Valiant books. Well, at noon the next day I called and asked him to pull a copy of every Valiant he had or would be receiving. Valiant had an incredible 2+ year run of quality story lines. By late 93, however, I thought they had begun to lose their way and the June 94 books were my last to purchase.

I haven't stepped back into a comic shop since and hadn't read a comic in over 10 years until the end of last year. While cleaning out the closets, I "rediscovered" my comic book collection. I figured on just selling the entire collection but I made the mistake of unbagging that copy of Solar #1 and rereading it........hooked for the second time. Soon after, I discovered this website for the first time and learned the fate of Valiant and the comic industry in general. I had no clue. The days of reselling sets of Harbinger #1-6 for $400 were long gone.

Anyway, over the last few months, I've reread the Valiants I've got and decided to complete my original Valiant universe collection. If for no other reason, I'll give them to my son when he is old enough to read. If he gets half the enjoyment out of reading them that I have, it will be worth the trouble.

Look forward to communicating with all of you in the future as a member of the board. Thanks for keeping interest in Valiant alive all this time. It's good to be back. Hopefully, new Valiant comics, written and produced intelligently, won't be far behind.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

GREAT opening story, and I'm sure I can speak for everyone in saying "Welcome to the boards!" There's a good bit of info over here on the message boards as well, just have to wade through some BS to get to most of it (like posts by me.)

Glad to have you aboard.......

:thumb:

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

dantheman
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dantheman »

Welcome to the boards SD, glad to have you :thumb:
www.myspace.com/lysband - Someday people will see me and say "Hey, aren't you that guy who sang that song?"

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Re: No Place Like Home

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Second_Death wrote: Hopefully, new Valiant comics, written and produced intelligently, won't be far behind.
We all have our fingers crossed. Welcome to the boards.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
welcome

Post by dac55 »

S. D.
Wrote

Look forward to communicating with all of you in the future as a member of the board. Thanks for keeping interest in Valiant alive all this time. It's good to be back. Hopefully, new Valiant comics, written and produced intelligently, won't be far behind.

Same here . :thumb:

David

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Where'd he go? I hope he hasn't abandoned us already...

:o :| :wink:

-slym (hopes he gets more than one post)
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

Hi guys. Thanks for the welcome. Not one and done.....just one and gone out of town. After tax season we try to get away as much as possible. In the next few days will be taking my 1 year old on his first trip to a zoo. I really look forward to that.

Will post when I can. See you all in other threads.

childres
The more you post, the more you want to.
The more you post, the more you want to.

Post by childres »

Welcome to the boards Second_Death. Nice to see another guy from AR here.

:thumb:

-Joe