Second Submission Results & Turnaround Times

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Second Submission Results & Turnaround Times

Post by possumgrease »

Feeling emboldened with my first submission, I decided to submit a few more issues of Invincible.

Received on 6/15, Modern Fast Track, and I just got the results with shipping scheduled for 6/24:

001 Invincible 1 12/03 Image Comics Limited Edition-9.8 WHITE
002 Invincible 1 12/03 Image Comics Limited Edition-9.8 WHITE
003 Invincible 1 12/03 Image Comics Limited Edition-9.8 WHITE
004 Invincible 1 12/03 Image Comics Limited Edition-9.8 WHITE
005 Invincible 1 12/03 Image Comics Limited Edition-9.8 WHITE
006 Invincible 100 1/13 Image Comics Ottley Sketch Cover - 9.6 WHITE
007 Invincible 100 1/13 Image Comics Chromium Edition - 9.6 WHITE

These were not pressed. I'm very happy with the Larry's editions of course, but a little sad that the chromium cover didn't pull a 9.8.

I had expected a 20 day turnaround, so this was much quicker at only 8 days if I'm counting correctly.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Re: Second Submission Results & Turnaround Times

Post by mkb28 »

Well done! Congrats! :clap:

possumgrease
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Third Submission Results:

I was still riding my high of having 6 of my first 8 submissions being 9.8 with the other two being 9.6, I decided submit again. This time the results were more pedestrian and more unexpected (both good and bad). I paid for pressing this time around:

New Mutants 98 - Newsstand Edition - 9.2 WHITE (This one had a water ring from back in 1991 when mom sat a cup down on it. I remember the day vividly, even though the comic was mostly worthless at the time. I had thought 7.5 after pressing would be the best this could get, so I'm happy with this one.

Saga of the Swamp Thing 37 - 8.5 WHITE (Not bought originally; paid 9.0 price and was hoping for higher grade)

Amazing Spider-Man 300- Newsstand Edition - 8.0 WHITE - Mostly met expectations.

Ultimate Fallout 4 10/11 Marvel Comics- 9.4 WHITE - In range of expectations

Invincible 75 Retailer Variant Cover - 8.5 WHITE -SHOCKED. Thought it had 9.9 potential with press. Waiting for book to be returned to see what "scuffs on book" are there. Should have taken more pictures before shipping.

Marvel Team-Up 14 (Invincible/Spidey) - 9.6 WHITE - Eh. Hoped for 9.8.

---
So zero 9.8s in the bunch. NM 98 much better than expected; Invincible 75 much worse than expected.

Takeaway thought: If you know you don't have a 9.8, should you even submit anything newer than 1975? Like, the pressing certainly helped by NM 98, but I probably haven't added any value to the other books.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I have submitted thousands and thousands of books. I’m still learning and missing things. To submit older books, experience is significantly helpful.

I had one post here where I submitted 3-4 submissions of older books, and CGC forgot to press them. They offered to press and regrade for free. I jumped at the chance as it showed me how much the difference was in the pressing. It was fascinating. Huge jumps. Some learning lessons on uncorrectable flaws.

They are all learning lessons. It doesn’t help that CGC charges so much for pre-screening these days. Also, good for learning.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

This is good to know...I know it's one year away. But I'm taking alot of my bronze age grails next year to OAX...cbcs was there this year and I didn't know that.

I'll make sure to check them all over really well before I go

Thx possum and Steve