Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: Harbinger
Pressing a Solar 10 or other Card Stock Covers

Post by Wolverine335 »

Hi.

I just posed a question about grading Unity Diamond TPBs.
But I figured this question deserved it's own thread:

Anyone have any luck pressing Solar 10? I've got a few copies that are in dire need of pressing; but I'm hearing that CCS won't do it because it's embossed.

Likewise, wondering about hard card-stock covers, like Armorines 0, or X-O 1/2, or Harbinger 0? Are those press-able by CCS? Anyone have good/bad results in pressing those types of books?

Again, I thank anyone for their help or insight into this.

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Re: Pressing a Solar 10 or other Card Stock Covers

Post by ckb »

I believe that most pressers will tell you that improving cardstock cover books is an iffy prospect at the high grades. The typical defects are not removable. Embossed is just the kicker on Solar 10.

lobo
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by lobo »

Embossed covers are definitely pressable BTW, CCS just doesn't want to take the time and effort to do it at their cut rates. It can be done with proper care and would probably take multiple pressings to see results on the card stock. As long as there is no color breaks or scratches on that black cover (Solar 10) then a pressing may be worth the effort. With all that said, Solar 10 is still a legit hard book to get in 9.8 under normal circumstances so be honest with yourself when assessing potential pressing candidates.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

lobo wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:56:35 pm Embossed covers are definitely pressable BTW, CCS just doesn't want to take the time and effort to do it at their cut rates. It can be done with proper care and would probably take multiple pressings to see results on the card stock. As long as there is no color breaks or scratches on that black cover (Solar 10) then a pressing may be worth the effort. With all that said, Solar 10 is still a legit hard book to get in 9.8 under normal circumstances so be honest with yourself when assessing potential pressing candidates.
+1

Wolverine335
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Wolverine335 »

Yeah, I've got about ten copies of Solar 10, and there's not even ONE without a crease!

Drives me crazy. Don't remember where/how I got them (it was a looooong time ago). Makes me wonder if they all came from the same dealer, and that dealer let them all fall over in the box; or if the book is just especially prone to creasing due to the type of card stock used?

Either way... 9.8s on that book are tough to find. The price difference between 9.6 and 9.8 is about 4x. (With most other books it tends to be 2x at most).

Oh well. I'll give them a good look and pick out my best candidates, send them to a private presser and cross my fingers.

Thanks guys.