First Submission Question.

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
First Submission Question.

Post by possumgrease »

11 months ago I signed up for the paid CGC membership with the intention of submitting books. I've put it off for almost a year and my $150 credit will expire in two weeks, so now is the time to submit. I've narrowed my first submission down to the following books:

1. Invincible 1 (looks great, no visible flaws to the untrained eye except one corner could be a little more crisp)
2. New Mutants 98 (water ring, newsstand, bought as a child, nostalgia)
3. Sandman 1 (8.0-ish)
4. Preacher 1 (bought off the stands, read many times, nostalgia)
5. ASM 298 (bought off the rack, read many times, nostalgia)
6. ASM 300 (acquired later, but not a perfect copy, 7.5-ish)

It appears that the New Mutants needs a pressing because of the "water wrinkle." The Invincible looks fine as is. The others have all been read and have issues that may be helped by a pressing. However, I have zero experience with pressing and I'm still a little confused by the process.

So here's the question: Will a proper pressing hurt a comic that does not "need" pressing? Rephrased, would you skip pressing unless there is obvious damage like the New Mutants 98? Rephrased yet again: Why not press every key book as it seems the risk/reward makes it an attractive asymmetrical bet for key books?

I've put off going down the slab rabbit hole for many years, but there's no stopping it now. Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: First Submission Question.

Post by nycjadie »

Whether to press a book is very fact specific and condition dependent. Most high grade newsprint books tend to benefit from a press, but you can still pop a staple or the spine could split, among other things.

I don’t press most of my books, but I do tend to press keys.

Not much help, but you will get better with experience.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

Thanks for the reply. All of these other than Invincible are newsprint and are already not perfect, so maybe worth the risk of pressing to clean up some of the defects.

I'm debating whether to do anything with Invincible. It looks like great as is, so maybe no benefit there.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I like how you opened up with “11 months ago…” because it will take about that long to get your books back from CGC. :lol: I hope they have the staffing issues solved, but they just announced another price increase with a deadline to get your books submitted. This may cause more delays just like last year. :!: Also, look at the Pressing options because I believe a Quick Press has a minimum number of books requirement to use that service.

Good luck with your submission!

Michael

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

Since I have no one else to talk comics with, I'm sharing this news with the group.

I ended up just submitting just my Invincible #1. I chose to blow a lot of money on Express turnaround and pressing. It was my first submission and the thought of my book just sitting somewhere for a year didn't seem right.

So I sent it on 3/2 and I just got the shipping confirmation today. Coming back a sweet 9.8 which is awesome.

Even more awesome is that I bought this book years ago from a board member (Thanks Ramses818)!

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

possumgrease wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:39:24 am Since I have no one else to talk comics with, I'm sharing this news with the group.

I ended up just submitting just my Invincible #1. I chose to blow a lot of money on Express turnaround and pressing. It was my first submission and the thought of my book just sitting somewhere for a year didn't seem right.

So I sent it on 3/2 and I just got the shipping confirmation today. Coming back a sweet 9.8 which is awesome.

Even more awesome is that I bought this book years ago from a board member (Thanks Ramses818)!
That is AWESOME! I also have a fun Invincible 1 story. I bought a collection and a copy sat for years unbagged in a box. I had it pressed and slabbed and it also came in at 9.8. Congrats on the sweet book and a first one to boot!

mkb28
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

possumgrease wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:39:24 am Since I have no one else to talk comics with, I'm sharing this news with the group.

Congratulations Brother! :clap:

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

Well, the interior of the case has smudges and there’s a weird plastic string inside, but it’s the grade that matters, right? I’m still thrilled.

I’m about 35% of the way to having the complete run so this journey has a long way to go.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Woohoo! Awesome!

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

nycjadie wrote:Woohoo! Awesome!
Thanks. I also just realized the J.D. pun in your name. Only took a decade of reading it.