CGC can grade the Unity Diamond trades now...

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
CGC can grade the Unity Diamond trades now...

Post by greg »

Looks like CGC now has cases large enough to grade the Unity Diamond trades (two-volume set):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164347967988

A CGC 9.6 set, recently graded, just sold for $700.

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: CGC can grade the Unity Diamond trades now...

Post by magnus20009 »

Interesting but shouldn’t they be in green qualified labels. Aren’t they all signed on the inside by the Creative team?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

greg wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:40:34 pm Looks like CGC now has cases large enough to grade the Unity Diamond trades (two-volume set):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164347967988

A CGC 9.6 set, recently graded, just sold for $700.
That’s interesting. I would imagine that’s a heavy and unwieldy slab. That 9.6 set was probably a good buy considering a raw set and grading fees are going to be over $300. I doubt my copies are 9.6s. Thanks for flagging!

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

magnus20009 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:54:49 pm Interesting but shouldn’t they be in green qualified labels. Aren’t they all signed on the inside by the Creative team?
Very good point. Maybe they missed them?

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

nycjadie wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:51:26 pm
magnus20009 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:54:49 pm Interesting but shouldn’t they be in green qualified labels. Aren’t they all signed on the inside by the Creative team?
Very good point. Maybe they missed them?
That would be bad since part of what I believe I'm buying in a CGC slab is CGC's attestation that the entire book has been inspected and meets the standard for the assigned grade and that the book's owner's nephew didn't doodle on page 16 while the owner quickly used the bathroom, answered the door, etc.
***Support your local farmers!***

greg

Post by greg »

Signatures inside books get blue labels. Signatures on the outside of books get green labels.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

If you look closely at the front labels, CGC wrote “4 names written on the bottom of 1st page.” Very interesting! I still would love a set of graded Unity Diamond trades in my collection. Thanks for sharing!

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Definately an impressive item to have slabbed. I'm not surprised that it sold so quickly.

Are there other examples of CGC grading bound volumes? Maybe nitpicking, but I'm a bit bothered that the text says that the story is collected FROM various books when it is the books themselves that have been collected within a new cover. Btw, are there other examples generally of publishers who have bound their own books this way?

/Magnus

greg

Post by greg »

magnusr wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:52:50 am Definately an impressive item to have slabbed. I'm not surprised that it sold so quickly.

Are there other examples of CGC grading bound volumes? Maybe nitpicking, but I'm a bit bothered that the text says that the story is collected FROM various books when it is the books themselves that have been collected within a new cover. Btw, are there other examples generally of publishers who have bound their own books this way?

/Magnus
I want to say that the Diamond Previews bound volumes were done for titles other than Valiant. Offhand, though, I can't remember which other books were treated similarly. :hm:

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

greg wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:42:28 am
Signatures inside books get blue labels. Signatures on the outside of books get green labels.
I never knew that. That is rather disappointing to learn. So an otherwise prefect 9.8 could have been defaced by having someone write something inside and it still gets a blue label but the same defacing on a cover gets a green label. Makes no sense to me :?

For books like these Diamond books where it is known that creative team signed them that is one thing but most inner signatures cannot be verified or could even just be some kid marking the book as his.

greg

Post by greg »

magnus20009 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:25:43 pm
greg wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:42:28 am
I never knew that. That is rather disappointing to learn. So an otherwise prefect 9.8 could have been defaced by having someone write something inside and it still gets a blue label but the same defacing on a cover gets a green label. Makes no sense to me :?

For books like these Diamond books where it is known that creative team signed them that is one thing but most inner signatures cannot be verified or could even just be some kid marking the book as his.
I'm not sure it's "defaced" since an unwitnessed interior signature (particularly from before CGC existed) doesn't usually add any value to a book - which means there's little reason to counterfeit them - but a legitimate signature by a creator is pretty cool (in my opinion) since it would be a rare case that there are more signed copies than unsigned copies of a particular comic. I compare it to regular books (fiction/non-fiction) where a signed copy does have more value than an unsigned copy, particularly for books where the author is deceased.

I don't think this book would have been a CGC 9.9 if not for the signature inside, so I would say the interior signatures are basically ignored (unless they're messy or bleed through).

geocarr
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

I don't think I would ever buy a book like this because you have no visual of the interior mark to judge for yourself if you believe it to be a creator signature or a doodle from a kid.
***Support your local farmers!***

magnus20009
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by magnus20009 »

greg wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:09:14 pm
I'm not sure it's "defaced" since an unwitnessed interior signature (particularly from before CGC existed) doesn't usually add any value to a book - which means there's little reason to counterfeit them - but a legitimate signature by a creator is pretty cool (in my opinion) since it would be a rare case that there are more signed copies than unsigned copies of a particular comic.
I know many people like them but I (generally) prefer my comics to be unsigned or altered in anyway - inside or out. I have had artists tell me they can sign my books for free when I have bought from them and I always decline. For some books it seems it is harder to find unsigned than signed copies.

I know I am weird because I have thousands of signed sports cards (although only cards that were designed for signatures and came packed out already signed).